Evening snacking!

Options
Morning All.. Am trying to get out of the habit of snacking in the evenings.. I don't even feel hungry, just feel like picking at something. Anyone got any ideas to help with this?? :smile:

Replies

• teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    fat free popcorn.. not extremely tasty but takes care of the urge to nibble....
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    When you feel the urge to eat without being hungry try doing 50-100 deep squats, 25-50 pushups, 50-100 crunches. That should work
  • gibsons
    Options
    A handful of berries - they are sweet, high in fiber and antioxidants, and I find them satisfying because they pack so much flavor. Last night I grabbed a handful of blackberries and it hit the spot!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth, I always hate to eat something after I've brushed.
  • peteloafer
    peteloafer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hot drinks like Bovril or Oxo work for me or
    if I need to nibble I try and make it an apple or dried apricots

good luck
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    it will get eaiser....I do the popcorn thing too, I used to do it before I started MFP, a big bag (not the single bags) every night, I have now cut down to a half a bag....but if you save some calories for an evening snack...it's not that bad. Also have carrots and celery and green pepper cut up in the fridge at all times. They help with the "cruch" we all crave with the snacking ( low cals too!)
  • joshyboi88
    Options
    I've been eating carrot sticks with low fat dip.. which is really nice, but like I said it's not because I'm hungry it's just I want to pick!!
    Apart from that I can be really good with my eating. My partner is really helpful and makes me healthy dinners with a tonne of veg.. and forces me to exercise!
  • befitcoachuk
    befitcoachuk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have found that salt and vinegar "Snack a Jacks" work best for (only 41 Kcal per 'cake'). They have a great strong flavour and can be nibbled on slowly. I used to use family bags of chocolate (minstrels or cadbury giant buttons), then moved on to large bowls of cereal (usually Special K) but now the Snack a Jacks are working a treat (and they feel like a treat to).
  • sarasotatim
    Options
    Dude, I am with ya, that's the WORST time that it hits ya...I replaced all of the chips/dip that I used to crave at night with fat-free ritz or veggies and hummus....hummus, I've learned, is one of the best things you can put in your body, and if you love garlic, you'll love hummus! I'm planning on making my own soon, haven't gotten that far yet though :)
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I always leave myself calories for the evening as it's my hardest time. Or, just watch a tv programme about weightless ( there's usually something on!) for motivation. Or have a long bath, do your nails, hair or whatever makes you feel pampered. If all else fails, go to bed
  • shandy32
    shandy32 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Try some fruit or a few sunflower seeds x
  • sherrisluzinit4good
    Options
    A handful of mini pretzels satisfies my crunch habit... most of the time! :laugh:
  • joshyboi88
    Options
    Thanks Guys! LOL kettlewitch.. do my hair or nails?? My hair's too short to do anything with.. and I don't paint my nails lol
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    drink a herbal tea - like cammomile or mint. It fills you up and is satisfying.
  • ereeners
    ereeners Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am bad about snacking at night also. I do the 100 calorie popcorn bags but I usually save about 200 calories for night snacking. I know I am not able to change that habit and I am still losing so it hasn't become and issue yet. One thing i know is if you chug a large glass of water, it usually fills your belly and you don't feel hungry or want to pick.
  • manchesterfatgirl
    Options
    Evenings are my worst time too-- I used to go out a lot more of an evening--but since i've had my daughter evenings have been spent in snacking--which is probably how i got fat in the first place. I think that my weight loss will include a whole life style change--am going to start spending more evenings out walking, running, at the gym, or just with friends.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys! LOL kettlewitch.. do my hair or nails?? My hair's too short to do anything with.. and I don't paint my nails lol

Oops, actually hadn't noticed you were a guy lol. If you're a new man, go for a face pack. If your not, it's going to bed at 8pm I'm afraid. My husband seems to spend a long time in the bathroom but I have absolutely no idea what he gets up to in there!
  • SharronF
    Options
    I have found that if I have a low sugar lemon tea hot it seems to hit the spot at night without having to snack at all :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    ugh! Me, too. I usually pick a large Fuji apple. Yummo.