Any celiac's & other food intolerant people out there?

Options
Just wondering if anyone else out there is trying to get healthy with foot intolerances in the way - for me it's gluten (wheat, barley, rye), eggs (or thinking it's just yolks, still testing), certain dairy and a few vegetables that I can't eat (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and beans) - all of course which make up substantial proteins!

Any tips? Right now my diet consists of:

Breakfast - celery stick or 2 with 2-4 tbsp peanut butter and a banana

Lunch - salad with tuna

Dinner - varies but liking shrimp, chicken with rice pasta (corn or rice) - 1/2 cup whatever it is, along with my veggies

Snack - frozen grapes, other fruits, and my enjoyable glass or 2 of wine at the end of the day (don't judge lol)........I've limited myself to 1200 cal and stick to it through the week (weekends are hard but better than they were)....

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• jdubs1201
    Options
    Hey sue... welcome to MFP!!

There is a forum on here that may be what you're looking for...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/114512-gluten-free-girls-and-guys

It's already 11 pages strong, so hopefully you'll find some great stuff in there. Join in the conversations!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    OVER HERE..*waves*
    I just recently learned I have IBS and I think I am gluten intolerant.. I am also dealing a whole host of food sensitivities- milk for one.. I'm allergic.it would be too long of a list to name every food that messes with me.. easier to say that anything that is not natural or that is processed are things I need to stay away from. it does make it a little more chalenging to get healthy and loose weight. But I don't think it is impossible.
  • Suzy_Q1408
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH!:happy:
  • Suzy_Q1408
    Options
    waving back! lol

I know what you mean about long list, even after going gluten free after being diagnosed with celiac disease, about a year later I started getting sick again so am now on elimination diets - right now it's dairy, egg, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and beans......my doc said now that i'm GF my body is absorbing food now so i may have been intolerant to the other things all along but because it wasn't truly getting through it wasn't affecting me - the joys of our body eh?
  • itsjustme77
    Options
    I have Celiac. Have for the last 10 years. Maybe we can all come up with some good ideas. Gluten free options are always higher in carbs, cals and fat. :(
    Heather
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have adopted the Breaking the Vicious Cycle Its a book. Sometimes called GAPS, Specific Carbohydrate Diet..
    Anyways:
    Breakfast: I juice..spinach. carrots, beets, fruits etc etc..
    Snacks: Lara Bars, Greek yogurt (you are tech suppose to make your own...but I cant) nuts
    lunch: veggies and protein (like fish or chicken)
    Dinner: veggies and protein

Its a VERY SIMPLE way of life...I have had no caffeine., no sugar, no starch (including all rices, corn, quinoa etc etc) no nightshade veggies (poatoes...etc).. I have not opened a jar or bottle in a month. My stomach is AWESOME. GI issues are gone and I am regular..cant say enough great things
  • Suzy_Q1408
    Options
    that actually doesn't sound too torturous! :) I just keep hearing if God didn't make it, you shouldn't be eating it - never mind just gluten but all the processed crap we put in our bodies is ridiculous, no wonder we have so many more problems than people did years and years ago!
  • i_can
    i_can Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi. I have eosinophilic esophagitis. I can't eat gluten or egg either! I have an actual allergy as opposed to intolerance.
    For grains, I really like gluten free oats. I don't use a lot of the specialty gluten-free products because they're quite expensive, though I do have a bag of gluten-free flour for thickening things and a bottle of gluten-free/tamari soy sauce.
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    I have celiac. All my meals are gluten free... and I've come in under my calorie goal every day. I welcome any gluten-free buddies to friend me and see what I eat...

But in all honesty, I find it pretty easy.

Morning: Omelete - 2 eggs, pinch of cheese; Yogurt; OJ
    Lunch: Gluten-free soup & ice water
    (or ice tea, depends on how many exercise calories i worked off in morning)
    Dinner: Steak, Chicken or Salmon with rice, sweat potato, or GF pasta (just one serving!) and steamed veggies...

Less than 1400 calories... all GF.

I have a gazillion GF recipes (there are 3 of us in my immediate family with Celiac). Feel free to friend or message me to discuss further!