7 foods you ought to eat everyday

Options
2»

Replies

• rayfromtx
    Options
    I eat all of those every day. The spinach is out of the garden. I just log it as romaine now matter what kind of lettuce or spinach I use in my salad. I don't use iceberg. Keeps it simple.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    [/quote]
    Exactly.. I have yet to buy any yogurt because they just seem so high in sugar.. Anybody know of any low fat low sugar yogurt????
    [/quote]

They now have some diabetic yogurts that are really good and the sugar is a lot lower on them!
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Excellent list except as yummy as those walnuts are EACH WHOLE WALNUT IS 30 (THIRTY) CALORIES!!! I found this out the hard way last week. So if you eat 10 of them that is 300 (THREE HUNDRED) calories!!!

[/quote]

Walnuts are good for your mood, and they are high in ALA, a polyunsaturated fat that is converted to Omega-3. something that is very good for you.
    I eat a handful either between bkfst and lunch or lunch and dinner. about 1oz. Tides me over.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I read this on fox news and thought I'd share. It is seven foods that you ought to eat everyday.

yogurt
    blueberries
    spinach (kale, bok choy, romaine)
    tomatoes (watermelon, pink grapefruit, papaya, guava
    walnuts (almonds, p;anuts, or macadamia)
    oats (Flaxseed, wild rice, quinoa
    carrots (sweet potatoes, mango, butternut squash)

Eat up!

Excellent list except as yummy as those walnuts are EACH WHOLE WALNUT IS 30 (THIRTY) CALORIES!!! I found this out the hard way last week. So if you eat 10 of them that is 300 (THREE HUNDRED) calories!!!

1 cup of bluebarries is 84 cals, so you can't sweeten them up....

Walnuts are good for your mood, and they are high in ALA, a polyunsaturated fat that is converted to Omega-3. something that is very good for you.
    I eat a handful either between bkfst and lunch or lunch and dinner. about 1oz. Tides me over.

What I dont understand is the yogurt. Dairy isnt good for anyone. Calcium can be acquired from so many other foods.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I love the plain fat free greek yogurt, and it is so good for you with all the protein. I like to sweeten it with a tsp of agave and sprinkle some flax and cinnamon. yummy!!!
  • salmonpi
    Options
    One thing about Yogurt...read the sugar content on the label...it takes a lot of searching to find one that isn't full of sugar.

That's why I only eat plain yogut!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    [/quote]" What I dont understand is the yogurt. Dairy isnt good for anyone. Calcium can be acquired from so many other foods."
    [/quote]

Probiotics are good for everyone. I think that's the main reason yogurt is on the list.

edit: can't get the quote thing to work :(
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I read this on fox news and thought I'd share. It is seven foods that you ought to eat everyday.

yogurt
    blueberries
    spinach (kale, bok choy, romaine)
    tomatoes (watermelon, pink grapefruit, papaya, guava
    walnuts (almonds, p;anuts, or macadamia)
    oats (Flaxseed, wild rice, quinoa
    carrots (sweet potatoes, mango, butternut squash)

Eat up!

1 cup of bluebarries is 84 cals, so you can't sweeten them up....

What I dont understand is the yogurt. Dairy isnt good for anyone. Calcium can be acquired from so many other foods.
    I'm going to have to disagree with the dairy comment. Although you can get calcium from other foods, Yogurt is one of the best sources of calcium and is needed by most women - easier to absorb as yogurt. Also, I love to mix Fage greek yogurt with some chocolate protein powder - it's like chocolate pudding but tons of protein. Yummy
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Yeah, walnuts are delicious and good for you but as I stated, EACH walnut is 30 cals

A handful of walnuts or 1 oz of walnuts is 185 calories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/walnuts

So fine, eat them if you choose too, but eating them between meals just 2x per day is 370 cals of 1 oz of walnuts (a handful), 3x per day = 555 CALORIES!

If you're on a 1200 a day diet, 1400 a day diet or 1600 a day diet that's a LOT of calories. Know what you put in your mouth!

As far as yogurt - occasionally I go for a gogurt, it's high in sugar but just 70 cals. I don't do it often. And I also really like plain yogurt, but it's best to get the non-fat ones without cream at the top....

Just my opinion! Watch those NUTS they are CALORIFIC!
  • SherryC53
    Options
    One thing about Yogurt...read the sugar content on the label...it takes a lot of searching to find one that isn't full of sugar.

Exactly.. I have yet to buy any yogurt because they just seem so high in sugar.. Anybody know of any low fat low sugar yogurt????

I eat Organic Plain yogurt and add stevia and vanilla. It's wonderful
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am getting my second dose of yogurt in today. I added an 1oz to my carrot ginger soup. Totally helped to balance it out!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Trying to break this down as to why these foods were chosen, correct me if I'm wrong!!

yogurt - digestive health
    blueberries - antioxidants?
    spinach (kale, bok choy, romaine) - vitamins galore, also full of fiber
    tomatoes (watermelon, pink grapefruit, papaya, guava) - something about the acidity that helps your metabolism?
    walnuts (almonds, p;anuts, or macadamia) of course the healthy fats!
    oats (Flaxseed, wild rice, quinoa) not sure what this offers, really :(
    carrots (sweet potatoes, mango, butternut squash) also not sure of the benefits here
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Great information but some of those are kinda expensive. I love all of those things but have a pretty small grocery budget. :sad:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i sometimes eat kids' yogurts...often a bit lower in sugars.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Trying to break this down as to why these foods were chosen, correct me if I'm wrong!!

yogurt - digestive health
    blueberries - antioxidants?
    spinach (kale, bok choy, romaine) - vitamins galore, also full of fiber
    tomatoes (watermelon, pink grapefruit, papaya, guava) - something about the acidity that helps your metabolism?
    walnuts (almonds, p;anuts, or macadamia) of course the healthy fats!
    oats (Flaxseed, wild rice, quinoa) not sure what this offers, really :(
    carrots (sweet potatoes, mango, butternut squash) also not sure of the benefits here

Tomatoes = lycopene for heart health I believe
    Oats - soluble fiber
    Carrots - beta carotene
    spinach = vitamin K
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Thanks jadedone :)