Non-dairy milk suggestions

Options
This month I have decided to try and be dairy-free. Due to the fact that I think I am lactose intolerant (gives me gas and causes constipation). I really don't drink milk although I do use it in my coffee daily. I am looking for a good substitute for a creamer ib my coffee. I do not like the powered non-dairy creamer plus they put high frutose corn syrup in that stuff. Okay, lets here everyone's feedback.

Replies

• mixmastermolly
    Options
    Soy milk, almond milk, rice milk.

I prefer almond milk. The vanilla one is especially good as a creamer because it's a little sweet. The unsweetened version is around 40-60 calories for a whole cup.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    International Delight French Vanilla liquid cream was always my favorite, but when I was drinking it, and coffee, I wasn't paying attention to ingredients. Silk soy milk has a thicker consistency than most soy milks and it comes flavored or plain.
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    I like almond milk too, I can't drink it plain but I add it to my cereal, oatmeal, etc.
  • craigh04
    craigh04 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think almond milk as by far the best. Soy milk has to much sugar in it.
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I keep the unsweetned almond milk and lactaid milk in the fridge, both are great! The lactaid brand can get a bit expensive so try the generic lactose free milk, can't tell the difference to me!
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    If you're only using it for coffee, Silk makes a great soy creamer. They even come in different flavors. But aren't as sweet as dairy creamers. I am also lactose intolerant and my daughter is allergic to milk. We use a lot of different non-dairy milks...soy, almond and oat. You have to kinda experiment with different flavors and brands before you find the one you really like.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    Yeah I have to agree with the other posts... almond, rice, or soymilk. almond and rice are on the sweeter side which make them good add-ins to coffees and such. Silk makes a creamer though so you should give it a try, I love it! :)
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    Coconut milk is my favorite
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I dig the almond milk also. I prefer the chocolate variety though.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Love me some almond breeze!!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I like the almond milk. I don't like the fact that they add sugar to it but it's a little thick and has good flavor. The sugar is evaporated cane sugar but it's still added sugar.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    If you can find coconut milk creamer, this is great as a creamer. It does not taste like coconut at all by the way. I also drink almond milk, but when I want coffee, the almond milk doesnt really cut it for me. The coconut creamer is more like cream.
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Silk's French Vanilla creamer is good. So Delicious Coconut Milk- Vanilla is my new favorite in coffee....a packet of Truvia and some coconut milk is truly yummy. When cooking be sure to use a non-vanilla substitute or your food will taste odd. Plain Silk is good for those purposes. But as you commit to eliminating dairy to reduce bloaty, yuckiness- you will learn the tricks through trial and error.
  • RuthFlipflops
    RuthFlipflops Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm aiming to be about 80% dairy free at the moment (trying to be 100% dairy free at home and just doing my best when I'm out and about in cafes, restaurants, at friend's houses)

I love almond milk in coffee - and for baking (eg cookies). It's really tasty and sweet

Soya milk for tea - also great on cereal (but I'm really fussy about which brands of soya - some taste disgusting & others taste great, I can't get over the difference)

Good luck with your dairy-free month!
  • kfsooner
    Options
    I am allergic to dairy...so I have tried several types. I use either rice milk or So Delicious unsweetened or original coconut milks. For my coffee, I use So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer. I stay away from the soy products, so these are great!