Healthy with Exercise?

Raina0512
Raina0512 Posts: 216
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this issue but everytime I start exercising again, I get sick. I've gotten sick with Step Throat then it turns to Mono.
I'm an extremely busy person and I know it's probably because I'm just running myself to death but how exactly am I supposed to fit in exercise if it causes me to be sick and just exhausted?

I work full-time M-F, I go to evening classes three times/week from 530-950p. I'm "married" in the middle of a divorce and I've got two daughters ages 3 and 4.

I just don't know how to find a good middle place.
Any advice would be appreciated! :ohwell:

Replies

• dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Rest and self-care are JUST as vital as exercise to overall well-being. Maybe try yoga at home when you get sick and work your way back into more cardio when your body is up to it? Most of all- don't quit...odds are you will not keep getting sick when you begin working out.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Are you meeting your calorie goal and eating your exercise calories? What kinds of foods do you eat? Alcohol and sugar are very bad for your immune system and processed foods aren't great either.
  • If you're getting ill - you're over training. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're doing too much exercise (especially if you're not doing any yet!) but it does mean you're demanding more from your poor body then it can handle. Judging by your pictures and your weight you're quite slim already, therefore you should definitely not be aiming for a weight loss of 2lbs a week - your body simply can't handle all the stresses you're throwing at it PLUS being starved. My recommendations would be:

1) Eat more! Increase your calories a little so that you're losing around 1lb a week. It will take a bit longer to come off, but you'll feel healthier and happier in the process!

2) Make sure you're getting enough sleep - judging by your work schedule I'd expect you're not getting anywhere near enough. The optimal amount for women is between 8 and 10 hours a night. If you're not getting this amount of sleep - then sorting this out is MUCH more important then exercising (which will just stress your body even more).

Focus on eating a bit more and getting enough sleep. Next, when you're feeling human again and looking forward to doing some exercise - start lightly with just two or three 30 minute sessions per week. Your health needs to last you the rest of your life - you don't need to suddenly get in to shape over night, it will take time - enjoy the ride!
  • Perhaps your sickness is coming from the gym itself. Try wiping down the handles of the machines at the gym with a disinfectant wipe before using them:) someone who was sick and germ laden may have used the machines before you.. I see that the grocery stores even have wipes near their carts to wipe the cart handles down too.
  • That schedule is a busy one! I would suggest you first get well then approach it with the idea that you are not giving your immune system enough to fight off any illness. I don't know what your diet is but a strong healthy immune system is key. With children that age they pick up everything and pass it around. Not to mention at work all that you are exposed to. Not to fear but there is some things you can do to help. Start with drinking Orange juice, grapefruit juice and eat an apple. Drink plenty of water all day. Make sure you are eating enough so that your immune system is ready to fight off any infections, colds and illnesses.

Also, try to keep your emotional health in line if you can. Divorce is traumatic and probably affecting your general well being. Do the best you can on this front. Positive thinking and the yoga was a good suggestion or at least take ten minutes each day of silence and postive thought processing.

Good Luck

Patrick
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Perhaps your sickness is coming from the gym itself. Try wiping down the handles of the machines at the gym with a disinfectant wipe before using them:) someone who was sick and germ laden may have used the machines before you.. I see that the grocery stores even have wipes near their carts to wipe the cart handles down too.

so true, this used to happen to me all the time years ago. Everytime I would start exercising at the gym I would catch a cold. Now I always wipe down my machines BEFORE I use them and I rarely get sick.
  • Sounds like you are overdoing it. Get yourself well first. I have started taking SUPER B COMPLEX from Wal-mart and it has been a lifesaver. I used to be drained and exhausted all of the time before I started taking this as well as an adult gummy multi-vitamin and now I feel tons better. You need to build up your immunity first. You have a very busy schedule and a lot on your plate. Could you do a mini workout in the a.m. - like 10 mins of cardio followed by 10 minutes of push-ups and sit-ups? I recently posted about this mini workout that my friend does everyday and she is super fit! Start small and increase workout time. Just get well first.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Just needed to comment because I haven't met any other Rainas before who spell their name like mine!
This discussion has been closed.