When Do You Log Your Food?

Options
SueGeer
SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
Do you log food as you go along; first thing in morning or after you've eaten everything? What works best for you?

During the week, I take breakfast & lunch & couple of low cal snacks to work with me, so log them first thing. I log dinner when I've decided what I'm having. Evening snack depends on whether or not I have any calories left at the end of the day.....

Weekends I tend to log as I go.....

Am concentrating on hi-fbre & lo-cal :smile:

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    As I go, unless I am planning something specific & want to know if i have to adjust calories to fit...or need to plan more exercise.
  • princess_f
    Options
    use to be as i go but last few days ive planned my meals the day before, then add snacks as i have them
  • brlarson
    brlarson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most days as i go but if I've planned dinner early in the day then I add it. I'm more likely to stick with a healthier eating plan if I plan in advance.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I know what I'm having for dinner, I'll log it as soon as I make that decision (I planned tonight's dinner yesterday, so I logged it before I went to bed) and then I know how many calories I have left for lunch and snacks. If I didn't plan ahead, I log as I go. It just depends.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I log mine the same way you do. I try to plan everything at least a day in advance so I make sure I'm going to meet my calorie goal. If I don't have a plan then it's very hard for me to stick to making the right choices. I always try to leave a little room for something extra, just in case.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    i prelog sometimes even the night before. doing this helps me stay on track and not binge eat. somedays i do change my plans of what i logged; so i just delete and add what i did or didnt eat.
  • adamstc88
    adamstc88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I log breakfast and lunch first thing in the morning and my snacks as I eat them during the day. Then I log my exercise when I get home...........so I know how many calories I have for dinner. I try to plan everything that works best for me.
  • amylary
    amylary Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a plan for the week. I meal plan anyway for my family so when buying grociers I know what I will need for the week. Planning the week out on MPF has made me stay focued and have not been straying as much if it is planned and on there. I stick to it better than trying to throw something together and not knowing how many calories I am going to need.
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Before I put it in my mouth.lol. I try to pre plan most of the day. Yesterday I got home and was starving so I decided to fi over calories, after I reviewed my day and realized I didn't eat s couple of things I had planned on Di I was not only under but had enough for my evening warm almond milk. Nice surprise.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I usually log as I go because I don't know if I am going to finish a meal or not and if I don't eat all of it, I don't have to account for all of it. If I wait until the end of the day, I tend to forget something and it takes too long if I have to look things up.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I try to log my food shortly after eating it. Last night I found myself stumped. We had a splurge day last night and went out for Chinese buffett and I have no idea how to log it. All I know it was way too much because I felt sick after eating that much food. We use to eat like that all the time so I'm really happy that when I eat like that now my stomach says "No, too much food!"
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I log mine like Jilly. As I go along, unless I plan something special for dinner. Then I can adjust my daily foods for breakfast and lunch.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I log mine like Jilly. As I go along, unless I plan something special for dinner. Then I can adjust my daily foods for breakfast and lunch.
  • Mhdadmh
    Mhdadmh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I like what people have said about planning in advance. I just started MFP yesterday so I will work on making that happen. I LOVE THE SCANNER so for new foods I will log when I have the bar code in my hand. I don't know if it will last but while I am new at this I will be logging and looking all day. :-)
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If I'm working, I log everything as I'm packing it (I take all my meals and snacks to work with me)..
    If I have a day off, I log everything right before I eat it
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    As I go. I love the iphone app because it allows me to keep up with it. Before that I found it hard, I am not a meal planner and would pay for it when I got home and entered my food. Now I log my breakfast as I am making it, I plug in my nightly snack because it never changes then go about my day plugging any food as I go. I find it useful when I want something I don't normally eat, I can plug it in to see if it is worth it or not.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The night before up to a week in advance. Only minor alterations are made for days 3+ in advance depending on whether we ran out of a certain vegetable or I bought more of another kind of vegetable.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I log mine as I go, either from my computer at work (I have net access) or from my mobile phone. I never "log ahead", i.e. do not tend to log anything I haven't eaten yet. However, I sometimes "log ahead" with exercise as I find it motivating to "see" the calories burned and I am less likely to bail a session once I have logged it, because I would have to delete it otherwise. :laugh:
  • toradoshi21
    toradoshi21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I log everything I plan on eating the night before. I find for me it's much easier to stay on track that way. If for some reason something changes I can always adjust it.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I log mine the night before. Everything planned out to the T. Snacks and everything. I know my average I burn in exercising so I am able to plan for this also. I am able to each a lot better when I have a plan well divided instead of waiting to get hungry and trying to figure out something to eat. I also, make sure to at least log dinner, so that I know what I have to work with for the rest of the day as this meal is planned for entire family and is not as calorie deficient as the rest of my meals.