SHAKEOLOGY VS WHEY PROTEIN

Options
today I'm not posting something offensive to some.today its a simple question what do you think it's better to build a better physique shakeology or whey protein?I know the answer just want your answer.

Replies

• gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure what shake is so i will say whey
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    I used shakeology as a meal replacement and a good way to get vitamins but I dont think its used to build muscle soooo I vote whey :)
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    No comparing! I like my whey.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Shakeology contains 18g of whey protein in addition to vitamins, minerals, antioxidents, super fruits, greens, and so much more. Whey protein powder just has whey protein. From a complete nutritional standpoint, nothing else compares.

Hope that answers your question.
    Sharon
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Well....I hope whey protein, because I use it daily.

I'm not a fan of expensive supplements. A careful diet will provide you with what your body needs to lose weight, repair itself and grow healthy muscle.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    short answer; whey.

all other nutrition should really come from food...
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    They are different tools to be used for different scenarios. Shakeology has roughly half carbs and half protein, so I would put it in the "meal replacement" category. Although, at 140 calories, I would have to drink at least 2 to call that a meal :laugh:

Whey protein is typically almost all protein, sometimes with a few grams of carbs (like 0 to 4g only). This can be used to supplement a meal which is lacking enough protein. It can be used on its own as a protein boost - for example, I sometimes take 1 or 2 scoops before bed time. It can also be used as a building block, to create your own "meal replacement" shake, by adding some carbs like fruit or non fat milk or whatever you like.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I just looked up the nutritional details of shakeology http://www.shakenutrition.com/chocolate-shakeology-ingredients.pdf Seems like a typical low fat meal replacement drink to me. The super fruit blend sounds interesting to me but a lot of those things seem to still be in the research stage with regards to how effective they are.

My post workout shake is 30g whey, 10g dextrose, some sort of fruit (for slightly lower gi carbs and flavour), 5g BCAA. Seems to be working well so far.

I just adjust the amount of dextrose depending on if I am cutting or bulking.
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Whey protein. I have it everyday :)
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    just a reminder I said which one helps with building a better looking physique not ''better'' for your health.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Whey protein. We need to do everything we can to build our muscles. Shakeology is a meal replacement - actually it's quite DUBIOUS, and all meal replacement plans are bad for you since your body doesn't learn to eat properly. On this site you're not dieting, you're eating what you choose and hopefully, you're how and to make better choices. Anyone can lose weight on a meal replacement plan, but it's one of the reasons that overweight people go back and gain all the weight back and usually it's 2x as much as before. Being on a long term calorie counting thing here at MFP, with results at times, at times not, is the way to go. The early bird may catch the worm but the people who put in the effort to relearn how to eat, and relearn how to do physical effort, do exercise will be the winners in the long run. I believe that studies of obese people show this to be true. There is no EASY way, there is only the hard way, and the HARD WAY WORKS (paraphrasing Terry Pratchett).
  • 305muscle
    Options
    so shakeology makes me think of an old school meal replacement called...............Slimfast just slimfast was and is very affordable
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    To be fair, slimfast has like 6 times the sugar though
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options

And gives me the runs like nobody's business. The shakeology stuff will probably too.
  • 305muscle
    Options
    slimfast 24g of sugar but keep in mind you mix and drink with no extra sugar added by you.On the other hand shakeology tastes horrible (i tried it) and the makers want you to add fruits to make it ''better'' so add the sugars from all the fruit youre putting into the shake and what do you have?:drinker:
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options

And gives me the runs like nobody's business. The shakeology stuff will probably too.

I think I just realized that that's probably why it works. The slimfast, that is. Helped me cut weight for wrestling back in high school though.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Well....I hope whey protein, because I use it daily.

I'm not a fan of expensive supplements. A careful diet will provide you with what your body needs to lose weight, repair itself and grow healthy muscle.

Everything I read says whey after workout and cassein B4 bed(slower absorption) for overnight boost.
  • gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use both protein powders and shakeology. The shakeology can be used on its own. I have never tried the green one but the chocolate tastes good to me, I usually blend it with just water and ice. While it sounds like a lot of money to purchase, if you are are using it as a meal replacement it breaks down to about $3 dollars for the meal, which would be hard to match as a meal. If you are using it as a protein supplement then I agree it is expensive. I use it as an occasional meal replacement and mix some protein with it to really boost my protein. Shakeology does have a lot of other nutrients and is a good way to be able to skip a meal.
  • MMarie25
    MMarie25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I take shakeology once a dayt, but planning on adding a scoop or so of vanilla ehwy protein to my shakeology, what are your thoughts on that? thanks so much
    Mindy
    Magiikal@aol.com
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    just a reminder I said which one helps with building a better looking physique not ''better'' for your health.

why are you asking a question you think you know the answer to?

both of these are just a small component in building a "better looking physique". if you're doing everything else right then you could use either one and i doubt you would see much difference. your wallet would probably be a bit thinner using a meal replacement that's $3 a serving though.