Kicking aspartame out of my life

Options
I have decided that after years of consuming endless amounts of Diet Coke and Equal, I'm going to lessen my dependency and start removing it as much as possible from my diet. Until now, I would have at least one Diet Coke/day and a packet of Equal with every cup of coffee (at least one, usually more per day). Also being diabetic, it was just the "natural" thing to do - eat things loaded with aspartame..

So far I have started using 1 packet of sugar in my coffee (minimal carbs) - Diet Coke is a bad habit for me and I intend to drink once in a while, but not every day. Besides making a gradual change in my routine and substituting water, does anyone have any tips? I feel like I'm talking about something more hardcore than an artificial sweetener, but if I don't have a physical dependency on it, I certainly have a psychological one..

Replies

• BethRandy
    Options
    I started drinking flavored water with Splenda in it instead of soda, it has helped me a lot. Splenda is so much better for you and is the closest thing to the Organic Sweetner, also I found that using Truvia (I think that is the correct name, green and white box) is so much better. I make ice tea with it also.
  • janetlynn1973
    janetlynn1973 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :smile: That sounds like a great idea...I think I will do this with you...I, too, am addicted to the "fake sugar" and I think it is bad for me.
  • MissAllison
    Options
    I made the switch to water only a couple of months ago and haven't missed the soda one bit (I drank waaaayyyy too much regular Coke). I expected to still drink tea occasionally, but find that I don't even want that now. The first week was rough, but if you can get past that you'll be ok. Good luck!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I only have one tip: Don't start replacing aspartame with other artificial sweeteners, like sucralose (Splenda) or saccharin. That would be counterproductive! Otherwise I have nothing to offer but support -- this is a difficult but awesome decision!
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started using Sun Crystals - all natural sweetener 5 calories per pack (a blend of naturally sweet stevia & pure sugar cane)
    I like it. I'm also at the end of Dr. Oz's 28 day NO SODA challenge. I have 2 more days to go! I have completely stopped craving soda and have tolerated water.

http://members.doctoroz.com/challenge/28-day-national-soda-challenge

Have a fantastic day.
  • PattiPositive
    Options
    You can do it!!!! There is Slpenda and then if you don't want artificial there is Blue Agave Sweetner. Look it up for the health benefits online. It is supposed to not affect your blood sugar like regular sugar. I like it. And I like Splenda!!!

The water thing, just remember to order water with dinner if you go out. Bring a little packet of no cal flavors, crystal light or what ever you like. and dont bring the soda home. Once your off it for a while you wont notice it as much.

Good LUCK

PS... I was a soda Junkie but I am No MORE !!!!!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I left my Diet Coke out today and I'm hanging in there :cry: :smile:
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    It's been a little over a week and I have had a grand total of 2 diet cokes and one Sweet n Low (that was a mindless mistake - didn't realize I used it til it was in my coffee already!).

Sure beats what would have been ~15 and 15!
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    STEVIA and agave (but watch the sugars in the agave)
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am making the change like you TODAY also!!

I don't know what to use instead of equal as that is what I use in my coffee. I can't switch to black.

Any tips?
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I've been weaning myself off of the diet pepsi and artificial sweeteners as well. Today I picked up some agave nectar to use in my yogurt - and I will just have to count the calories for it. I've been having about one diet pepsi per day for the last week or so and today so far, I've had none.
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    People don't realize how bad aspertame is for you. It can actually cause a syndrome that mimics fibromyalgia and lyme disease. I've been struggling with trying to beat lyme disease for nearly 3 years now. Once I cut aspertame out (about 3 months ago) I saw a dramatic improvement. I'm so glad to hear that you're kicking it to the curb.
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    24 days later and going strong! I don't miss it like I thought I would!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm still hanging in there too. I've had an occasional diet soda here or there, but for the most part I've been aspartame free! I think my last one was last Saturday night!