Pull ups - advice please :)

AnnaPixie
AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hiya!

I've been struggling to do pull ups for a year now. But I am seeing some progress. Whereas I used to struggle to get half way up, I am now over half way x 5.

However, I am thinking I dont have the muscle power to pull up any further as perhaps my biceps aren't strong enough??

I do (full) push ups, so I think most of my strength is in my shoulders and back.

Would you say I need to isolate my biceps and work those in order the get the full pull up? Or is it just perseverence with the actual pull up. I just seem to run out of muscle at that point over half way......

Hope that makes sense :bigsmile:

Replies

• personally id use my arms to stable myself unless your disabled then thats no laughing matter

please add my freind for more information

RyanFreakinMeir

Please dont be put off by thename its a buisness label

adios
  • I did something from a Men's health article a while back, and it helped me. You stand on somthing that puts you at the full up position. You step off (or you can help a little with your legs at the very first), and control your way down. It's a long process, but it helps build those muscles.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You can try doing negatives. Jump up as you pull and start in the top position and lower yourself as slow as you can. Negatives are easier and this will get you use to that part of the pull up and build strength. I would also do some sets that you are currently doing, halfway up, so you can build strength that way to.

You can alternate sets between negatives and half pull ups, and assisted pull-ups (3 types) eventually you will be able to do full ones. Once you can do full ones even if it is only 2-3 do them and without stopping do assisted pull ups. Assisted pull ups: place a chair under the bar and rest one foot on it, this way you are lifting less weight. Good luck
  • I think your biceps and shoulders would have the biggest part in this, of course, it's also in correlation with your body weight...I've got big biceps since I weightlift, but my body weight is still too much to do pullups...getting closer though :)

Hanging in a pull up position takes as much effort (if not more) than to do an actual pullup..if you're there long enough, the muscles will eventually fail...I usually try this at the beginning of my workout, as it will spend your shoulders and arms quickly :)
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Try putting one foot on a chair while doing pullups. Then do one , rest , 2 rest, and so on until you get to the most you can do. Then go down from there. If 4 is the most , you would rest and do 3 , rest 2 , rest then one. In no time you will see strength build in upper back and biceps to not need the chair.
  • Pull ups are mostly using your back muscles with the exception of chin ups which also use your biceps. If you go to a gym you can try doing pull downs instead on the machines or if you don't you can do hanging pull ups. After you've maxed out on your current pull ups, use your legs to jump up to the top of the pull up, and then slowly, slowly, slowly lower yourself down to the bottom and then repeat as many times as you can. This will build the same muscles but it's a little easier.
  • quentien3
    quentien3 Posts: 134 Member
    Hey! Do you have access to a pull up machine that have the assisted device. If not, don't trip!

Anywho! To increase you pull up game. I would recommend you start with 4 sets of max reps up to 5: Set 1, Wide arm; Set 2, Palm facing chip up; Set 3, Should-width overhand (same as wide arm just closer grip); and Set 4, Under-Hand Grip

When doing the excercises focus on the target muscle areas, the back and Lat area. The biceps are secondary but over time I know you will be fine and really develop you back , shoulders, and Arm.

It can also do other excercises that will help you get results faster, Reverse pull-ups on the SMITH machine, Cable rows, Lat-Pulldowns, and Push-ups!

You will become a super heroin in no time.
  • pull-up negatives are the way to go. I couldn't do a single pull-up, so I would just jump up to the bar, and let myself down as slow as possible. It's excruciating for sure, but in 4 months time I went from 0 pull-ups to 15 in one go. Weight loss combined with doing pull-ups will drastically increase your ability to do them.
  • One of the other members gave you the advice of standing on something. Do as many as you can with out a chair and then pump out as many as you can with one foot on the chair. Make sure you try to alternate the direction your hands are facing that way you can work your chest, back, biceps, and triceps. Plus you find the direction that is more comfortable to you. I hope this helps.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    for me pullups are not a matter of strength at all it is a matter of form. I know I possess the strength but I try to hard to pull up from my shoulders and just don't bend my arms. Perhaps ask someone who can do them to watch your form and see if there is something that can be tweeked there.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Pull ups are a back exercise (lats) so you will benefit from developing that strength. You can use a machine or bands for pull downs or rows. You can use a chair or stool to help you up over the bar, and the negative only movement is great. You can also help build that strength by doing pullups, even just negative ones, AFTER you have done your biceps. This pre-exhausts the bicep and makes you use those lats!
  • AnnaPixie
    WOW!! Thank you sooooooo much people :bigsmile:

I dont go to a gym, I just have the pull up bar over the door frame. It's perfectly strong and stable and would recommend it to anyone not at a gym.

The negative pull up is a GREAT idea! One foot on a chair......excellent!! Why didnt I think of that....lol

I'm going to give that a go and get back to you. I would be so chuffed to just do 1 full pull up!! :bigsmile:

And yeah, I know I could lose some weight too. Less to pull up eh?? :laugh: I'm working on that too :wink:

Thanks a lot everyone :flowerforyou:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    WOW!! Thank you sooooooo much people :bigsmile:

I dont go to a gym, I just have the pull up bar over the door frame. It's perfectly strong and sitable and would recommend it to anyone not at a gym.

The negative pull up is a GREAT idea! One foot on a chair......excellent!! Why didnt I think of that....lol

I'm going to give that a go and get back to you. I would be so chuffed to just do 1 full pull up!! :bigsmile:

And yeah, I know I could lose some weight too. Less to pull up eh?? :laugh: I'm working on that too :wink:

Thanks a lot everyone :flowerforyou:

Pull ups, chin ups, and neutral raises are a great exercises and can be extremely intense. Volume, though is not the key.
    With your bar mounted in the door, grasp it firmly on the wide grip portion with your palms facing away. Lower your body as you raise your knee so your feet are off the ground. As you raise yourself, lower your legs. This will almost act as thrust as it takes weight off your arms. You may not be able to pull all the way up. If not, move your hands to the handles which are at 90 degrees from the door. Try the same technique, but with your palms facing. If you can't, then move your hands to the center with your palms facing.
    Also, if you can do one with any of the hand positions... only do one. Don't try to do 800 hundred. Do one, stand up and rest your arms for a few seconds, then try another. There is absolutely no need to do huge sets like you would with sit ups. If you can get to the point where you can do ten of each hand position, then it is time to put on a back pack with a little weight in it. Maybe a five pound sack of flower, or rolled up bath towels. That is a very intense exercise. Make sure you get plenty of rest.

Very importantly though, if you are doing curls as part of a routine, you should lessen them or drop them all together.
    Good luck!
  • Yes, you can work on the bicep but also don't give up, be mentally ready for it. There is a machine at Bailey's club that I used to get ready to do them. You put weight on it and it helps lift that percent of your body weight, or you can have someone hold you by the waist or legs and help you lift till your arms get stronger and adjust. You can do it girl, keep it up.
  • AnnaPixie
    Just wanted to say to all those that advised me to do negatives and used all 3 hand postions. I tried them today and my muscles were SHAKING!! This must mean I'm working muscles I wasnt working before? :bigsmile: Sooo, in time, this might get me my first pull up!! :bigsmile:

Wooooo hooooooooooooooo!! I'm excited!! :bigsmile:

Thanks again for the advice.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    You can try doing negatives. Jump up as you pull and start in the top position and lower yourself as slow as you can. Negatives are easier and this will get you use to that part of the pull up and build strength. I would also do some sets that you are currently doing, halfway up, so you can build strength that way to.

You can alternate sets between negatives and half pull ups, and assisted pull-ups (3 types) eventually you will be able to do full ones. Once you can do full ones even if it is only 2-3 do them and without stopping do assisted pull ups. Assisted pull ups: place a chair under the bar and rest one foot on it, this way you are lifting less weight. Good luck

I agree with all of this. I can do the "downs" but not the ups. So I use the chair to go up and then nothing to go down. I noticed improvement before I quit doing them from preg fatigue... and then back surgery... bleh.... had I been able to stick with it I am sure I would be doing at least 1-2 full pull ups by now - which for me would be huge progress!!
This discussion has been closed.