Really?!? Who thinks we are really going to get 18-24" of sn

Options
♥_Ellybean_♥
♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
Just thought I would see what everyone thought! ... :ohwell:

My work announced that we will be CLOSED tomorrow and we can either use a vacation day or make up the 8 hours during the next week - but we cannot take it unpaid.

I realize we are going to get some snow -probably several inches.. but how are you guys feeling about it?

~ Midwestern States!

Replies

• elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I took today and tomorrow off because of the snow/ice. I tend to freak out driving in it and didn't want to get stuck at work or attempt to drive home tonight when it hits again. I live in OH and already had at last 2" EXTRA on the ground when I got up this morning. I decided I wasn't going to try and drive so I'm taking vacation days.
  • Jag13760
    Options
    NY here and we have a healthy start on that amount. It would not surprise me to have that by the time this is all over tomorrow night. Whatever can be closed in our area, has been shut down.

Stay safe everyone!
  • Toaster88
    Options
    I used to live in Kansas, now I'm back in California (where I was raised). I guess I dodged a bullet!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ontario and we're supposed to get 15-18 inches. I'm staying indoors, enough said lol
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's coming down pretty hard here (Kansas City). They even closed the kids "snow day care" because they don't want the staff to try to come in. I am just SO thankful that I am not scheduled to work the next few days - as a nurse, snow is unfortunately not an excuse to stay home.

The low estimate for the snow here is 10 inches.....never thought I would be hoping for 10 inches of snow, lol.
  • jeebsah
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if we do. I've lived in Michigan for over 20 years so I'm use to it. If I have to be somewhere I just plan to leave earlier than usual to give myself enough time to get to my destination safely. I drive as slow as possible and I don't let the speedy drivers intimidate me...if they want to end up in a ditch so be it - they can go around me.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Im in Hammond and we are also preparing to close only difference we will get paid for the day. I keep hearing on the radio and the news that its supose to be a really bad one. Every time I hear that I keep thinking back between 1998-1999 I think we had a big one too back then just cant remember the correct year. If that is the case I will be home.. (maybe sledding LOL!!)
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm here in MO. It's 9:30 am and we have 5 inches already. The worst of it is supposed to come after noon. I stayed home today and if it gets as bad as they say, I will probably stay home tomorrow. I'm a state worker and they implemented the Hazardous Weather Policy which means we can stay home but have to either make up time or take leave. It stinks, because I was already scheduled off for Friday(we have to travel to Nashville for a wedding). Plus, I don't have much leave to begin with as I just came back from maternity leave in December. Oh well, I guess at least I get to spend some extra time with my kiddos!
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm in NH & they're talking 20"-25"+ from now til thurs morning... I love the snow, but we need a break...this weekly storm thing is killing us. There have been many roof collapses, and many people visiting me at the hospital after trying to shovel the roof off...Mother Nature can we please get a week or so of respite so our roof's can melt??
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I live about 35 miles away from where I work in the suburbs of Chicago, and for some inexplicable reason, the "executive team" is still deciding how to respond to the blizzard today. Right now the leading edge of the system is 120 miles away. I have to be at work at 3 pm. I can't imagine why we would try to open tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be staying the night so that someone is there at 5am on Wednesday.
  • CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Im in central Mass and we are expected to get 18-24 tomorrow. Its snowing today as well and we already have about 4 inches on the ground with no end in sight until late tonight!

Gotta love winter..especially in New England!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I live about 35 miles away from where I work in the suburbs of Chicago, and for some inexplicable reason, the "executive team" is still deciding how to respond to the blizzard today. Right now the leading edge of the system is 120 miles away. I have to be at work at 3 pm. I can't imagine why we would try to open tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be staying the night so that someone is there at 5am on Wednesday.

Now THAT is dedication!
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm out in rural Illinois, we're expected to hit that 18-24'' mark and I'm not happy about it! they are not letting any of us leave early today which means everyone will be driving home in the blizzard and they are making it clear that they are not happy about anyone missing work tomorrow... excuse me but I have a 50 miles ONE WAY trip to work which consists of 10 miles of unplowed back route roads, 10 miles of in town roads, and 30 miles of interstate.Plus I have to make the majority of that trip with my 2 y/o son. If it gets as bad as they're saying I'm not coming into work... not worth risking my son :)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I would much rather have that snow than the -12 temps we have here today.
  • elvb
    Options
    I feel like a giant wuss compared to most of you for not wanting to drive in the possible 10" we're getting. I didn't go to work today because of the POSSIBILITY the snow would start while I was there. Mind you, I grew up in CA so moving to Ohio and having to deal with snow every winter tends to make me panic. I ended up in a ditch last year - thankfully I just slid right in and didn't flip or anything - but it was TERRIFYING!
  • Azdak
    Options

Now THAT is dedication!

Well, as of 11:30 am they finally decided to close tomorrow (duh!), but I still have to work until 10pm, then deal with the drive home in what weather.com is predicting will be "blizzard" conditions. Heck, I may stay anyhow--at least I'll get in a workout tomorrow :laugh:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Ontario, Canada here and we are close to
    NY border so yes we are getting anywhere
    from 18 to 24 inches. Already making plans
    at work if we will shut down or not.
    I am trying to stay warm in the office today,
    I am freezing.
    Stay warm and stay safe eveyone. :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Options
    I'm out in rural Illinois, we're expected to hit that 18-24'' mark and I'm not happy about it! they are not letting any of us leave early today which means everyone will be driving home in the blizzard and they are making it clear that they are not happy about anyone missing work tomorrow... excuse me but I have a 50 miles ONE WAY trip to work which consists of 10 miles of unplowed back route roads, 10 miles of in town roads, and 30 miles of interstate.Plus I have to make the majority of that trip with my 2 y/o son. If it gets as bad as they're saying I'm not coming into work... not worth risking my son :)

I just don't understand people's mindset. Now I'm the kind of dumbass who WOULD try to go to work just to see if I could do it, but even I am reading these forecasts and saying "no way".

As the email from my step daughter's high school said "it is unusual to get this much advance notice of such a potentially dangerous oncoming weather condition". It's pretty clear by now that this is not going to be a "fly by" storm that could miss us. Police, fire, and other emergency and government workers are going to have their hands full as it is -- why voluntarily put more people at an unnecessary risk. The world is not going to stop is their business closes for a day.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    here in Ma we are getting at least that. I am so sick of snow. :frown: I can't even watch the news anymore. it depresses me. The snow bank in front of my house is so big you can't see my house from the street. At least shoveling snow is a good calorie burn :smile:
  • elvb
    Options
    I made it very clear to my supervisor yesterday that I would NOT risk my life to be at work - they'll survive without me for a couple days. I would rather be safe at home with my family than attempting to make it in to work (and likely failing). I'll be surprised if the company is open tomorrow anyway!