Home Workouts - The Governor has declared a State of Emerge

Options
Ok I decided that although residents of Oklahoma have been told to not travel on the roads and to stay in due to the weather that we still need to stay motivated to work out. So I've put together a couple of workouts to help those that are stuck at home, can't reach the gym, or even go outside to work out. I also hope that the MFP family will chime in and give ideas as well to things we can do in the home and get a good burn.

Wii Products that are useful if you have them:

- Biggest Loser game
- Wii Fit Plus (Put together a good routine to work the full body)
- EA Active
- EA Active More Workouts (You can also put together a workout on here or use many of the workouts that are already on the game)

If you want to watch a show do the Wii Free Step using the Wii Fit Plus while you are watching your favorite show.

Put together a mini challenge so as your watching TV during the commericials you do push-ups, crunches, lunges, bicep curls, or squats.

If you own exercise equipment (i.e., elliptical, treamill or strength training) use this time to really get in a great workout and push yourself because since your stuck in you have plenty of time to rest in between workouts.

The most important thing is now that you don't have to rush you can decide on good healthy choices for your meals. Try not to snack so much and try to stay on your regular eating routine.

These are just a few that I could think of at the moment. As I said before, MFP please chime in and add some things that you use at home so that you can help us out.

Everyone have a great day and hopefully take advantage of this day by still getting a good workout in and making healthy eating decisions.

Replies

• Charrisse
    Options
    THANK YOU, I was just getting ready to ask for this lol
    Ice day here - central indiana.
    Im bummbed because Spin Class is cancelled and I dont have any real cardio equip here - I have a small trampoline, a bosu ball, and a weight machine.
    Im opting towards taking an icy walk for fresh air and time away from the kids.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Im homebound in Dallas with the kids from the ice/snow storm.
  • cmo115
    cmo115 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Same here in Missouri!
    Don't forget shoveling snow is an awesome workout!!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    In central IN too, waiting for them to declare a state of emergency so I can leave work early. Thanks for posting these! Now if we can get some cardio ideas for those without power, I'll be set :)
  • noiinteam
    noiinteam Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    northern indiana.... lots of blowing and drifting snow... just did elliptical and out to snowblow driveway. watching the kids eat and snack makes me want to join right in.... need to stay motivated!!
  • kimballtracy
    Options
    im in northwest arkansas..we have ice here as of noow but we are supposed to get anywhere from 3 to 9 inches of snow where i am... 2 yrs ago we lost power and were out for 2 weeks!:noway:
  • katzplay62
    Options
    Add Just Dance 2 and the Michael Jackson games to your Wii repertoire and have FUN getting aerobic!

Cheers!

Kat
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I have a step at home I step durring biggest loser a lot. Just keep moving as long as you can!

you can also march in place or step side to side..mix it up old school aerobics steps are great while watching TV.

If you are familar with yoga put on some Enya or download some yoga musice and do some sun salutations and warrior poses.

Videos...can anyone say Jillian Michaels.

For those of you with Little ones. clear the living form floor and play duck duck goose or ring around teh rosies. Not heavy cards but at lesat you'll be moving.

Good luck all :)
  • nilyam75
    Options
    Same here Hanscom Massachusetts:) I thanks to my wonderful husband..gonna jump on my treadmill and do Jackie Warner Power Full body circuit training which is free on On Demand!!
  • paleonyx
    paleonyx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I only work out at home because I have 2 small children and live in a remote area with no friends or family within hours of me. I do P90x and other assorted exercise videos, plus the Wii fit plus. But here is a website with exercise ideas using soup cans instead of weights. In addition to a few reps of these I'd jog/walk/march in place while watching tv or reading a book. You might not miss having the gym for the day! Sorry to hear about all you guys being snowed in!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/327806-soup-can-exercises/
  • kleeper80
    kleeper80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great idea to post this! We are homebound today in Oklahoma. We have about 12 inches so far and it's not slowing down at all yet! :-) I think I will do Zumba later!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    Boomer!~

we are so totally trapped,. I'm just glad I'm not a little further southeast, they are just getting straight ice, according to Gary.
    Anyway, we have already started running back and forth in the halways and throwing kids in the air. Keeping them entertained will keep me moving, at least for part of the day. I tend to do most of my cardio with DVDs, so nothing new for me, just missing my littlel walk that I don't count for calores.
  • lavaflow99
    lavaflow99 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ExerciseTV on demand also has really good workouts
  • mschroeder22
    Options
    I live just outside of Milwaukee, WI. We got 10 inches of snow between yesterday and last night, expecting 1 or 2 more this morning... and the blizzard warnings aren't in effect until 3 PM later today. That's when "real storm" begins. So, how many calories does one burn shoveling snow?
  • Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I like this one too:

Jillian Michaels shared a great workout idea on The Biggest Loser, a deck of cards is the only tool you need. This workout is great for traveling, if you’re stuck in a hotel room, or just can’t get to the gym. You could even close your office door at work and do it on your lunch break.

All you need is a deck of cards. Wearing comfortable clothes and workout shoes will help too.

The Workout

Shuffle the pack and place it face down. Lift the first card and begin. Make your way through the entire deck to complete your workout.

* Face cards (jack, queen, king) – complete 10 repetitions
    * Ace – take a 1 minute break
    * Diamonds – pushups
    * Hearts – lunges
    * Spades – crunches
    * Clubs – reverse crunch

Use the suit of the card to determine the exercise, then the number on the card to decide the amount of repetitions you will do.

Example:

1. Card one: 3 of hearts – you will do 3 lunges
    2. Card two: jack of spades – 10 crunches
    3. Card three: ace of diamonds – take a 1 minute break
    4. Card four: 9 of clubs – 9 reverse crunches

Next time you do the workout try and beat your previous time. You can also try different lunges (walking, reverse, stationary with rear leg elevated) or add in any exercise you want to challenge yourself with.
    5913540 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just have to add it is funny reading your posts... i live in Duluth, MN which is way northern and we have not had any snow or ice days which you would think with where we live. Kind of nice this year to have everyone bus us get all the bad weather. Stick it out..it wont last long...
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hey gang! I got up early and did my Insanity workout!! And I am an Okie who gets to enjoy the snow for a few days!!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    also try http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/ if no one minds using their computer to follow a workout routine!
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    If your power goes out -

Run in place!

Remember the old "bicycle" ? Lay on your back with your feet in the air and peddle!

Jumping Jacks

If you have room in the basement - JUMP ROPE!

Shadow Boxing is really my favorite!

And you can ALWAYS Dance, Dance, Dance!! Dance with your kids! Dance with your husband! Dance with Your Beautiful self!!
  • qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    I live to far out for a gym to be cost effective, so I have a good amount of dvd's to workout with. I also shadow box and dance alot. Today however, I got a real Oklahoma treat. I got to shovel snow and ice off my porch and out to my gate. I didn't know that it could be such a workout. Good luck to all of you that are getting snowed in.