Work travel - do you have tips to lose weight on road?

Options
Travel all the time for work, fantastic food, group events, rarely get to order off a menu. How in the world to keep track of how many calories consumed and keep in line? I'm having a devil of a time and could really use tips from those who have won this battle over time!! I'm trying regular workouts and portion control, still blowing it. HELP!! Appreciate the input.

Replies

• KiraLech
    Options
    There's no magic answer to this. I'd say the regular stuff like making the healthiest choice you can, and watching your portions. Also, when it comes to the meals you can control, try to eat around the same time every day. At least your body will get on some sort of eating schedule. Best of luck.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    Forever,

Im a pilot and travel 4 days per week nearly every week of my life. I bring dvds to work out in my room or if the hotel gym is good I work out there. As far as food goes I bring most of it with me. For breakfast I have hard boiled egg whites or oatmeal and fruit, protein shake for a mid morning snack with a small apple. Lunch is tuna, chicken, some sort of protein and brown rice. Mid-afternoon snack protein bar. I like Clif Builders or Zone bars. Around 4 I have my Shakeology. Dinner I have protein and rice and black olives. Before bed I have a casein protein shake. If you plan ahead you can easily do it. Prepare your stuff the night before you leave, get a soft sided cooler. I have a "canadian cooler" from StrongBags. I pack it with some ice bags and replenish the ice throughout my trip. You can do it I have for the last 2 1/2 years. Good luck and message me if you have any more questions.
  • PNOD
    PNOD Posts: 35
    Options
    I have the same problem and you throw in the many "happy Hours" I need to attend with customer it gets crazy.

One thing I started doing on some occasions is not eating at these events or with the group for lunch and just head to Subway or something where I know what I ate. It is hard though.

Always look for the vegetables and salads. As hard as it is to look a great food and just eat salad think of much better you will feel after.

Wish I had more, but I am dealing with the same thing. In fact work travel is the reason I gained weight to begin with and that has not changed, but my eating habits have.

Good luck and keep it up.
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When ordering stay simple. Chicken, steamed veggies, turkey sandwich nothing with fancy names, things you can't pronounce or special sauces. Plus I try to bring my own snacks.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Portions, portions, portions! Eat small portions and fill up on salad and veggies. I travelled a lot last year as well and just did the best I could. I would often have grapefruit and cereal in my hotel room in the morning so I wasn't eating a calorific breakfast in a restaurant, then opted for a salad for lunch, or the best choice I could find that had LOTS of veggies. I also always brought my own snacks of fruit, or 100 calorie bars. Make sure you also get in that water as that was often a tough one while travelling or in meetings for me.
  • drew77
    Options
    Bring excercise DVD's to your hotel room. Or see if they have an excerise room or pool which you can hit up early in the morning to jump start your metabolism .Eat heavy breakfast with eggs, bacon and fruits, coffee and eat lighter dinner.

Maybe pack some protein bars for snacks before you go on your trip to maintain "small meals" plan. Hope this helps!
  • ForeverRange
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! You and a few others wrote back with really practical ideas that I haven't yet tried. Thanks again...