What do YOU do to keep those cravings at bay?

Options
When im craving something like chocolate or a Macdonalds, i tend to get out my book and start reading, before i know it im that wrapped up in the storyline that an hour has passed bringing me closer to my next meal time and those cravings have disappeared...just curious as to what you guys do when you feel like succumbing to temptation?!

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Oh, it is HARD. So far, I really have not found anything that helps me through the cravings. I just have to power on relying on will power (which is often is short supply). Maybe I can get some tips by reading the responses to this post.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I find when I eat mostly whole foods my cravings are practically non-existent.

As soon as I eat something overly processed and "white" the cravings kick in almost immediately.
  • tracyL88
    Options
    i also read and listen to some calming music and while doing so i drink some water or munch on celery :)
  • sarahTV
    sarahTV Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First, I grab something healthy and raw like a banana or some green pepper sticks...if 20 minutes goes by and I'm still craving I'll try something else that is still healthy but a little 'indulgent' like hummus or a few cubes of cheese. I also have a stash of dark chocolate chips that curbs my sweet tooth cravings...I can have 5 of those and walk away.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! I love to read. Unfortunately, with 4 small children, I don't have the luxery of climbing into a book. What I try to do is walk laps around my kitchen island while I drink a bottle of water. If that doesn't work I usually chew a piece of sugar free gum until the need to munch has passed.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I chew gum and drink LOTS of water :smile:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't have cravings any longer. I eat a lot of filling foods so I keep a full feeling til my next meal. I don't eat fast so my meals & snacks tend to last about 20 mins...maybe a little longer so I don't get hungry fast.

But for those that do....redirection is the key. Reading, exercisings...anything that will take the thought of food away.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I keep what I call a "why board" on my fridge. It is a piece of paper with pictures of me skinny, pics of clothes I want when I get skinny again, and all sorts of inspirational sayings; basically all the reasons "why" I shouldn't give in. Having a visual reminder of what I want to achieve helps me avoid the things that got me where I am today. I also have a copy taped to my dash boardin my car to remind me NOT to give in to the lure of the drive thru.
  • chaugberg
    chaugberg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try to keep myself busy so I don't but every once in a while I give in. They say that it is better to indulge your cravings but in moderation than to stay away from them all together. If you totally avoid them eventually you will break down and completely over eat. The other day I had a craving for a Chicken Schwarma. They are amazing but they are not good for you and the calorie count is off the charts. So instead of gorging myself on the Schwarma and the really fatty fries that went with it I ordered the schwarma, some steamed veggies and water instead of pop. I ate the steamed veggies first and drank most of my water which filled me up somewhat. Then I was only able to eat part of the schwarma meaning less calories and I still got to taste of it which is ultimately the only thing we are looking for when we have a craving right? :smile:
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I crunch on a raw carrot - I've always enjoyed raw carrots so it does me quite well :) If I'm really craving something sweet I will have a pint glass of Robinsons no added sugar squash...the calories work out surprisingly low.
  • tsams
    tsams Posts: 2
    Options
    I knit! It keeps my hands busy so I can't possibly eat anything and I'm also making something so I feel accomplished. Reading would be great though too, at least it would take your mind off of it more. My mind always wanders back to food while I'm knitting...I don't always find time to knit though, my 11 month old loves to unroll the ball of yarn and chew on my needles so sometimes it's just impossible to keep the cravings at bay.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    My biggest weakness is chips (potato chip, tortilla chips, pita chips). So whenever I crave chips...I pull out the hot air popper and make a bowl of popcorn. 1 cup has about 20 calories. Spray with a little Bragg Liquid Aminos and I'm good to go. As far as for sweets, I try things like grapes or sugar-free gelatin. If that doesn't work I have my stash of Weight Watchers Carrot Creme Cake (80 calories, I think).
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I try to keep myself busy so I don't but every once in a while I give in. They say that it is better to indulge your cravings but in moderation than to stay away from them all together. If you totally avoid them eventually you will break down and completely over eat. The other day I had a craving for a Chicken Schwarma. They are amazing but they are not good for you and the calorie count is off the charts. So instead of gorging myself on the Schwarma and the really fatty fries that went with it I ordered the schwarma, some steamed veggies and water instead of pop. I ate the steamed veggies first and drank most of my water which filled me up somewhat. Then I was only able to eat part of the schwarma meaning less calories and I still got to taste of it which is ultimately the only thing we are looking for when we have a craving right? :smile:

What is Schwarma? Where do you get it?
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I don’t get a lot of cravings for fast food or restaurants. As another poster said, the more wholesome my diet is the less I feel I’m lacking. But if I am tempted to eat out, because I don’t feel like cooking, I go online and look at the nutrition information and that sobers me up very quickly. I satisfy chocolate cravings with 60% cacao chocolate chips. I eat five, slowly, letting each one melt on my tongue.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    I have many hobbies that I try to use to keep my hands busy. Instead using my hands to shove things in my mouth I knit, sew, create. Once I get into a project then it's usually hard to even pull me away for mealtime.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I get cravings In the evening after I've eaten all my calories. I have a big steaming cup of hot fruity herb tea with stevia fills me up, satisfies a sweet tooth, and adds to my water intake for the day.
  • kcphilly
    Options
    Depends on the food. I love my pasta and have failed everytime I've tried to cut it out completely, even for a week. I'm learning the whole moderation thing. A "serving" of pasta to me used to be half the box...now I let myself have a *true* serving or two several times a week on my cardio days.

Other foods, mainly sweets...I just don't have the willpower for moderation yet. That's where I'm doing substitutions. Instead of giving into the junk food we always have at work...I bring a ziplock bag of berries in and some dark chocolate hershey kisses.

Fast food I lost a lot of interest in awhile ago...I'm pretty much a germaphobe...and instead of blocking out all the stories about how unclean those places are I finally started listening. Or reading about how some things are made, like chicken strips/nuggets...just nasty! So whenever I drive past those places now I think about the food being dirty and what the food is really made out of.