Rice...again!!

Options
So I tried cooking my own rice and it jsut didnt work. Im now back to tilda micro rice. However a quick query, could I use have the bag for my portion then (providing I stored it correctly) reheat the other half the next day? Save the waste of half a packet!! x

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that particular brand of rice, but in general rice can be reheated nicely in the microwave.
  • aesoprok
    Options
    I read an article about rice yesterday. It said you can save rice in the refrigerator for no more than 2 days. After that it starts to harbor bacteria that can upset your stomach. When you reheat it, mix in a few tablespoons of broth, water, or another liquid so it won't be dry and clumpy. Enjoy!:drinker:
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Try a rice cooker! They are super easy, and it's always made a perfect batch of rice for me, every time. Even the low end ones from Target work fine - you don't need the $$ fancy ones.
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I agree with fantm. I love my rice cooker! It was only about $15 from Target and it has a built in steamer!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The best trick to cooking rice perfectly is to find a pot with a tight fitting lid. Use VERY cold water to mix with the raw rice, stir. Bring to a boil, then turn it way down to simmer (at about level 2 out of 10), then allow it to simmer for the time on the package. Brown rice is usually about 30 to 40 minutes. From the moment you add the rice and put it on the stove DO NOT take the lid off, DO NOT stir it. Once you have simmered it take the pot off the stove and let sit for 5 minutes . . . again, DO NOT take the lid off.

You should have perfect rice!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Try a rice cooker! They are super easy, and it's always made a perfect batch of rice for me, every time. Even the low end ones from Target work fine - you don't need the $$ fancy ones.

We got one for Christmas from an Uncle, that and a Sodastream. Every night I have been having perfectly cooked brown rice and my own seltzer! The rice cooker takes a while but it comes out so good it is ok.
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I emphatically agree with getting a rice cooking. Mine is a super cheapo no-name one but works like a dream. It really has no extra-settings, but you really don't need them. When making brown rice, I will add in vegetable broth for part of the water, and garlic, a dash of olive oil. Sometimes I add walnuts, diced onions, whatever flavor I am going for. It comes out sooo flavorful, and really needs little else to done to it.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options

We got one for Christmas from an Uncle, that and a Sodastream. Every night I have been having perfectly cooked brown rice and my own seltzer! The rice cooker takes a while but it comes out so good it is ok.

My dad got the Sodastream for Christmas from my mom and I swear he talks about it every day (Every. Single. Day.). He loves his "fizzy water"!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

Do you love your sodastream? I saw them on the dr oz show. The lady said it was about a dollar for the cartridge, but didn't say how much you get out of one cartridge. Hubby and I drink a lot of selter water and that would save us a boat load of cash.
  • antipholous
    Options
    I reheat my Uncle Ben's Rice constantly. If you use the microwave be sure to put water in it, and fluff it once or twice while reheating. I typically reheat in the stove with beans or something of the like.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options

Do you love your sodastream? I saw them on the dr oz show. The lady said it was about a dollar for the cartridge, but didn't say how much you get out of one cartridge. Hubby and I drink a lot of selter water and that would save us a boat load of cash.

Ours has a big $20 CO2 cartridge. Conservatively we have been making 3 liters of seltzer a day for a month and it has not run out yet.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a tight lid for your pot, you can place a piece of foil or paper towels, over the pot - this will help seal the lid better. BE CAREFUL THOUGH.. you don't want the foil or paper towels to extend down to the burners -