What is a bBodyBugg? Does it replace HRMs?

Options
What is the BodyBugg? How does it work? Does it replace a heart rate monitor? Is it more accurate?

Replies

• limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I dont know but want to know. I am looking for a heart rate monitor but want something to count the cal that I burning.
  • tcollier64
    Options
    BodyBug is a monitor worn all day on your upper arm that measures the calories you burn. You then upload it to a program along with the food you've eaten for the day. They use it on The Biggest Loser.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    i was doing research yesterday on heart monitors with the calorie count indicator...i can't find anything worth buying less than 100 bucks - and i dont have the 100 bucks. the bodybugg is expensive but would LOVE to have that!
  • Brighteyes_7916
    Options
    I dont know but want to know. I am looking for a heart rate monitor but want something to count the cal that I burning.

I recently paid $70 for a hrm and a calorie counting watch to wear. It is a Sportline watch. Waste of money. It does not come anywhere near counting the calroies that i am burning. :( So now i am in the search of something that works!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    BodyBugg/BodyMedia FIT does not measure heart rate - it is something you wear on your upper arm that estimates your calorie burn over the course of the entire day (It's meant to be worn all day). It also measures the number of steps you take, and if you wear it at night will tell you how many hours of actual sleep you're getting.

It works by monitoring motion, steps taken, heat flux, galvanic skin response, and skin temperature.
    http://www.bodymedia.com/Professionals/The-Science

There are 2 brands - the BodyBugg, which is associated with 24HourFitness (I don't think you have to be a member to buy it, though), and then BodyMedia FIT. The only difference that I'm aware of is that the BodyBugg doesn't monitor sleep, and the user interfaces on the website are difference. Both brands now offer a tradition device, which you plug into your computer to upload the information to their website, and then a more expensive version that can sync to your smartphone wirelessly.

You have to have a monthly subscription to use these. The longer subscription you buy, the cheaper it is per month. I originally signed up for a 12 month subscription and paid about 6.95/mo. Not sure what current prices are.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Regarding a HRM vs Bodybugg - One thing to keep in mind: these are not meant to be used the same way. One may be more appropriate to your intended use than the other.

HRMs are only meant to be used to calculate exercise calories. When I use mine, I only count the calories it estimates while I'm actively exercising - constant exercise. It's not meant to estimate "casual" calories burned (during your regular daily stuff, walking around the house/store, etc.) or to work for exercises like weight lifting. You should not be wearing your HRM all day to try and calculate your total calorie burn... they're not designed to be accurate for that use.

BodyBuggs (or Body Media Fits) ARE meant to be worn ALL day - they do have a higher margin of error for casual activities, but I've found mine to be fairly accurate. I can see the change in my calorie burn when I climb the stairs or walk out to the back of the parking lot, versus taking the elevator or parking right up front.

If you're interested in wearing something all day and seeing your whole-day calorie burn, then the BodyBugg/BodyMedia FIT is what you need. It doesn't bother me to wear it all day - it fits just fine underneath short-sleeved shirts or long-sleeved shirts. It's not uncomfortable.

If you really only want an accurate exercise-calorie estimator, you're better off going with a HRM. Also, if you swim a lot, the HRM is your best bet because BodyBuggs/BodyMedia FITs are not waterproof.
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    I have had my HRM for over a year and I love it. It's the Polar F6. I got it online for $70 delivered. You can always check on ebay for one as well. I wear it only for exercise or any activity that it out of my normal routine. Like on Sundays I clean a Dr.'s office which has 7 exam rooms, 2 large waiting areas, a reception area, tech station, optical lab, bathrooms and kitchen. I would not clean that much in my own apt. so I wear it and usually end up burning between 550-700 calories depending on how much heavy cleaning I do that day, but it's also over a 2 1/2 hr period.
    If you have any questions about it please ask away.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Polar hrm here also. Love it! Takes into consideration your age, sex, weight, then the chest strap which you don't even notice sends the info to your arm. Amazon had them reasonably priced. I got mine right from the Polar site. 119.00 and completly worth it.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Ugh, this is so confusing as to which one I want to get. I like the idea of my calories burn being counted all day though.