ZUMBA anyone??

Options
Hey MFP world!! I had a question about Zumba. I love zumba, and I do it atleast twice a week ontop of going to the gym. To me, just less boring and tedious. I have looked up online how many calories the avg person burns after 30-60 minutes of zumba, but I know this site is more specific because it takes your individual weight into considration. I am actually very shocked to see that this site, which has just about everything else, does not have zumba. I have just been adding it under Aerobic dance and what not, but it would be cool to be able to track and add Zumba. Does anyone know how to do this? And have it be as accurate as possible?

Thanks ya'll!! :smile:

Replies

• mealybug1010
    Options
    HI! If I were in your shoes I would buy one of those arm band calorie counters. I have no idea where to buy them but I'm sure you can just google it! I too love Zumba!
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i am going to do it today - i'll wear my hrm and let you know how many calories i burn!
    actually, i'll workout NOW!
    hold tight...
  • determinedx3
    determinedx3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba as well. It depends on the intensity that your instructer brings and the intensity that you follow with. You will need to go get a heart rate monitor that tracks calories burned too. The ones I have seen look like a watch. (I have to get one too.) For 50 minutes I figure around 300 cal. I'm really hoping I'm figuring low. :smile:
  • srijana125
    srijana125 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi This is my second day here and I did zumba today. But was sad not to find that here. I added as a dance ( areobics)
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    When I do Zumba, I wear my Heart Rate Monitor, and log it in ad high-impact aerobics... I just adjust the time until it shows the calories burned to match what my HRM says. I could also add it, but I hesitate to do so because others will use it and it might not be accurate to their weight/height.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You are totally right...it depends on the individual. Depending on your current weight and the level of intensity, you will burn differently than the person next to you. A good heart rate monitor that will calculate calories burned can be found from $50-$100 and it is a worthwhile investment! I have had one for the past few years and I always use it when working out! I'm going to my first Zumba class this Friday, I am super excited!!!
  • lxspollack
    Options
    Hi,

Like everyone else I was disappointed that Zumba was not listed in the exercise database. I teach Zumba and my class is fairly high intensity. I have a woman in my class that wears a HRM to every class. She had a knee replacement several years ago and does everything low impact. According to her HRM she is usually between 500-600 calories burned for a 60 minute class. Currently I log my Zumba as High impact aerobics and know that the calories burned is probably a bit on the low side.

Perhaps we can persuade MFP to add Zumba to their aerobics exercise database... In the meantime, we may need to invest in heart rate monitors.

Hope this is somewhat helpful

Lexy
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i just did the 45min intermediate and i burned 502.
    prolly more cuz i got all nosey and mistakingly stopped my counter for a bit - DUH!
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would guess AT LEAST 500 calories an hour. I usually burn 600 - 750 depending on how many new songs we do, but I have several people in my class that wear HRM or BodyBuggs and they never burn less than 500.

Of course, I had someone telling me last night that they burned 3000 calories in a little over an hour. THAT, I'm not buying!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi Zumba fans, if you haven't already, come on over to the Zumba crew - it is a great place to get quick accurate answers to questions like this!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/165548-the-zumba-crew-february
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I would guess AT LEAST 500 calories an hour. I usually burn 600 - 750 depending on how many new songs we do, but I have several people in my class that wear HRM or BodyBuggs and they never burn less than 500.

Of course, I had someone telling me last night that they burned 3000 calories in a little over an hour. THAT, I'm not buying!
    Yea I definitely don't buy that. Most people don't burn 3000 in the course of 24 hours!
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Yea I definitely don't buy that. Most people don't burn 3000 in the course of 24 hours!

EXACTLY! We had a Zumba marathon of sorts Saturday ... 2 back to back classes, then a 2 hour instructor jam session and I only burned 3400 for the entire day! But I'm not going to argue with them ...
  • jaimelynn913
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Very helpful!! :-)
  • ediegram
    Options
    Agree with everyone else on the HRM. I burned 620 in one class! It varies though depending on how the instructor feels. The hrm with chest band are more accurate than the armband. Polar sells one for about $70 that works well.