Work From Home? How do you stay active

Options
I work from home doing web design. So, my days are spent in front of the computer. This does not make for a very active day. How do you add more activity to your day?

Any suggestions are very much welcome!!!!

Replies

• nilisabel
    Options
    force yourself to take breaks. home-workers don't take breaks. You deserve a break and your circulation and your eyes deserve to move from sitting in front of the screen! Go for a walk! I will do it too. I'm really bad about it also. But we deserve it!
  • missjboone
    missjboone Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    how about using a yoga ball as your chair? it could help you work your core as you work :smile:
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I exercise downstairs when I get a chance, or in the evening. Otherwise, I am running all night long with kids, or to my water aerobics class, or shopping, etc. It stinks, yes we burn more calories standing than we do sitting, but try to squeeze in 45 min exercise video at lunch time maybe???
  • LisaSaysHi
    LisaSaysHi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are definitely right to be concerned! I started working from home and gained 30 lbs. :-(

Now that I'm back on track, here's what I do, in addition to regular gym workouts:

1) Take a break every hour and do something active, even if it's just washing the dishes or folding a load of laundry.
    2) Take a 20 minute walk after every meal (easy way to get in an hour of exercise!)
    3) Be careful with snacking to avoid non-stop grazing throughout the day.

Good luck!

Lisa
  • shaggyamy
    Options
    I also work from home. I make sure to take breaks especially lunch. On my lunch I do some housework, laundry etc. That gets me up and moving. I also work out after work. I have a gym membership and the days I don't go to the gym I do some activities on my wii. Either Wii Active or Wii Fit
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Have to agree about breaks - at least once an hour, get up and do something. Whether just a quick stretch, go to the bathroom, go put the dishes away, go for a walk. And make sure you're drinking enough water.

Also, there's lots of chair exercises you can do. Do a search and you'll find a bunch you can do while you're working.

And of course there's actual workouts. I can't tell you how much more energy I have since I started working out regularly. It really makes a difference, especially when you're stuck in a chair all day. Good luck to you!
  • fredlausier
    fredlausier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also work at home. I try to get up every 2 hours and do a quick set of pushups and situps - nothing strenuous, just 1 set of 10 each. At 4:00, I stop working and go for a 1 hour walk around my neighborhood. I try to eat my meals at the same time so I can control snacking.
  • ediegram
    Options
    I schedule time on my work calendar for my workout (over lunch) and also for my meals so that I stay on track. For exercise, I have a stability ball and some DB weights. I also have an elliptical at home - however it's out of commission at the moment - wtg for hubby to fix. I have a TRX as well that I use sometimes. It's a great all over workout and you can even travel with it. I wfh 2 days/ per week. I try to do my weight lifting days on my wfh day and cardio at them gym when I go to the office.

My biggest problem is usually drinking enough water!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I do JM30DS, Wii Zumba or Wii Dance 2 on my lunch break
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the great ideas.