If she can eat it, so can I!

Options
Interesting article about how the size of our companions and THEIR food choices influence our own choices:

http://thedietbookjunkie.com/?p=1993

Charmagne

Replies

• fitnessbekhs
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your goal weight!!!

I've learned through the years that my sisters and I HUGELY influence eachother's habits....eating and otherwise. When my sister got pregnant, I gained 30 lbs! But now we are losing it together too, so that's great!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your goal. You are awesome and inspire me to do better. Thank you.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    haha yes my brother gained a ton of weight when his wife got pregnant...i gained weight when my husband and i moved in together....i had to learn the hard way that i JUST CAN'T EAT LIKE HIM!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I fall victim to this all the time--she's tiny and can eat that so I'll have the same!....too bad it doesn't work out like that, lol!
  • sherrisluzinit4good
    Options
    Wow!! Congrats on meeting your personal goal! I definitely want to do this if it takes me a year! You are a great inspiration to all on MFP. Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:
  • dcrabill10
    Options
    My fiancée and I are both very active and athletic. However, once we moved in with each other, although still staying active in sports, our eating habits suddenly changed. We began eating more fast food, and overall unhealthy foods even at home. I got up to my highest weight in nearly 8 years and she has hit her highest ever. Neither of us are super heavy in any way but just not the healthy, athletic look we've always had. So - time to get back to living right...together. :)
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Story of the relationship with my skinny boyfriend!
  • ImBabyBunny
    Options
    I am all to familial with this! My childhood friend was always stick thin and ate like a 2 growing boys!XD When we would hang out I actually NEW than she would eat everything and I was going to follow her lead! I was on a diet than to and I was always tell my self, ''Whats the harm?'' ''Its only for tonight it wont kill me.'' Haha I was so wrong

This helped me learn something I use pretty much ever day though. One day is everything. I would constantly put it off to the next day,''Ok, I messed up No Biggie!'' There is always to marrow!'' The problem was I did this for a month. Always telling myself that I have tomorrow. And those months added up. And looking back it was one stupid decision I made daily for months.

As hard as it is for me, I focus on today..My workout and my diet one day at a time. If I have a friend over I still plan out what I am eating. Dedication is the key. OhMiGosh the cake look soooo good though! XD
  • JaimeNay
    JaimeNay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I just read the article. It is so true. It's really hard to go to my kids bb games 3-4 nights a week and be there sometimes for 4+ hours and seeing people eating hamburgers, nachos, chili potatoes, pop, candy etc.. What I've started doing is bringing along an apple, string cheese, tuna & whole wheat crackers, fat-free popcorn, homemade granola bars, or other healthy snacks. I've done really well at controlling that kind of situation by bringing my own snacks.

My husband is encouraging and does the same things. I now bring healthy snacks for my kids. If the school says no outside drinks/snacks we'll go to the car and eat a quick bite between games. There just isn't anything healthy in a concession stand, and you can't go all night with food around you and not be hungry.

So plan ahead and take your own food when you're going to be in a social environment. You make good choices, others might too. After doing this, I've noticed a few other people bringing in a piece of fruit etc.. Now if we can just get the concession stands to sell the fresh, whole foods.....
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    That is so true!

And here's a related thing: I sometimes feel weird about ordering healthy things when I'm out with friends, like I'm going to make them feel bad if they want to order something decadent. I used to let it dictate what I ordered -- I don't anymore, even though I still feel funny.

I went to an IHOP with my two best friends once and ordered some kind of egg white, vegetable thing. They'd both been planning to order something crazy, but when I placed my order first, they said, "Ohhhh ...." and joked about how they'd have to be "good" too (they weren't annoyed at all -- they are my best friends for a reason!).

So they told the waitress to hang on, and flipped to the "healthier" part of the menu. They each chose something similar to what they were going to have. I was so nervous they were going to be bummed, but they both said as they were eating that they really liked the food, and they'd have to get it another time! And when we were finished, they talked about how they didn't feel icky and heavy. =D (They're both healthy weights, not skinny or fat, and neither usually watches their diet -- they're 5' 8 and 5' 9" so they can handle more calories than 5' 4" me!)