HRM Suggestions?

Options
Krys_T
Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
I wanted to get an idea of which heart rate monitors work well for those of you that have them....I know that I don't want a chest strap one, if possible. Looking to see which ones are accurate and not too expensive. Thanks

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I originally went looking for cheap and strapless myself. I picked up a Sportline wristwatch model at Target for $30. It turned out to be garbage. It wouldn't read properly, wouldn't count calorie burn properly and randomly stopped in the middle of workouts. I bit the bullet and picked up a Polar FT4 off Ebay for under $70 (usually $90-$100) and am MUCH happier with it. It has the fabric chest strap rather than the plastic one and is pretty comfortable.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting one that is very accurate you probably need to get one with the chest strap. I have a Polar F7 and I love it. Any of the polar products are really good.
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    Do not waste your money on one without a chest strap. They are garbage! I didn't think I would be able to get used to a chest strap, but after a few minutes, I didn't even notice or feel it. The strap goes directly under your bust and falls right under where your sports bra. It's reallynot bothersome.

I have a Sportline Duo that I got a Academy Outdoors for $79.99. It has many functions and was difficult to learn to use. I have friends who have Polar models and LOVE them.
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    At first I was looking for something not too expensive and feeling reluctant to get a chest strap but after talking to a couple of friends and the staff at the local sporting store and because I did not have to buy a cheaper one first, end up throwing it out and buying anotherone anyway, I decided to give my self an early christmas present and go ahead and get the polar FT4 and to be honest I don't even feel the strap!
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Pacer (few years old) and I really like it. Have been known to forget it's on for hours after working out (if I move onto chores in my work out clothes!). Doesn't bother me at all - very accurate.
  • lisapisa1
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Get one with a chest strap as they are more accurate and will track your heart rate the entire time. I have a Polar FT4. The chest strap is comfortable and not noticeable.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I bought two wrist watch ones without the chest strap..paid 59 for one and 79 for the other...CRAP!!! Took them both back. Got me a Polar FT4 with the chest strap and I'm loving it. The chest strap doesn't hurt nor does it feel odd.
  • Val_Gets_Fit
    Val_Gets_Fit Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4! It has a chest strap, though, but I don't even notice I have it on! Very accurate and gives me the readings that I'm interested in.