c25k - increasing speed

Options
(i posted this in the exercise and fitness board too, just fyi)

i have just reached the point in c25k where i can jog for 30 minutes solid. however, i'm not hitting the 5k mark in this time. i am jogging about a 12.5 minute mile right now. does anyone have any suggestions for increasing my speed? should i just keep going my 30 minutes and gradually increase the speed as i can, or would shorter intervals of faster speeds help more? any tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• adventuremom10
    adventuremom10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The first time I did the c25k I did the pace that I was comfortable with. I run about an 11.5 min/mile. If you can actually finish the 5k, your pace is not important, unless you want to be running faster. I did it so that I could particpate in 5K runs with my friends. Losing weight was not the goal, but a great side effect.

I waited about 6months (running regularly during that time) and then did the C25K again, but this time at a faster pace.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I increased distance first and then worked on my speed- the two really go hand in hand. Here's the workout I use:

Long run- 1x a week. This can be where you increase how long you run- next time you go out, add 5 min, then 5 more the next time until you are comfortable with the length of your long run.
    Mid-length run - 2x a week - about 1/2- 3/4 your long run. On these I run what's called Fartleks or intervals, Sprint 30s, jog 2min, Walk 30s
    Short run- For these I either:
    Time my fastest mile, or
    Run 5 min at a faster pace than my 'easy' run time (so for you I would say at a 12 min mile or 5mph) and then walk/recover 3-5 min x2
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I like tempo or speed work runs once a week. I do not do the c25k so I'm not sure how this would fit into that but for me I set one day a week which is my speed day. Each week they alternate between a tempo run or a speed work day.

Tempo runs consist of mileage a bit less than my long run of the week, usually 5-8 miles for this run and I run about 22 miles a week. I will do one mile of warm up and one cool down then the miles renaming in the middle are about 5 seconds less than my goal race pace. I always feel very winded but am able to finish the distance with out a break. runnersworld.com will give you a good idea about your pace/distance if you go to the training plan section

Speed work consists of heading out to a track and running mile repeats with half mile rests. The distance is usually the same as the tempo run when you add in the 1/2 mile rests. So for a 5 mile speed work day, it is 1/2 mile warm and cool then 2 mile repeats with half mile rests between each sprint totaling 5 miles. The pace for the mile sprints should be about 5-10 seconds faster than your race pace or as fast as you can possibly go and sustain for a mile.

I did this for my half marathon training this year and shaved FIFTEEN minutes off my half marathon PR! Message me if you have questions!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I completed C25k last August I think and was running about 12min/mile. I started to go back through from the beginning and running at 9 min /mile or faster when it told me to run so I could build speed I have not gotten all the way through yet. But I did finish my 5k run last night at 10:54 average
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    When you're just starting out running, speedwork is the LAST thing you should be worried about. Just run...put some mileage down. Try to never increase your weekly mileage more than 10% at a time. If you run 90 mins week in 3 runs, then the following week don't add more than 10 mins total, so maybe to runs @ 35 mins, and 1 @ 30 mins. 3rd week, add another 10 mins total, etc etc. Just run at a comfortable pace where you can at least say a full sentence without sounding like you are about to keel over.

The more mileage you put in (endurance), speed will come eventually.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k and gateway to 8k and am now doing a novice half-marathon training plan. I am not very fast either. Maybe I won't worry about it right now, but this has given me some good tips.
    Good reminder on the stretching, I really should do this but I don't-any suggestions for stretches? or good sites to find good stretches?
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    When I did C2 5K the first time, I think I just concentrated on being able to go the full 3 miles first. After that I kept trying to challenge myself between each mile marker (outside running). Like the first 1/2 mile I'd do in 5:20 so then I tried to pick up the pace for the next 1/2 mile, with a goal of doing 3 10 min miles. I also added more distance and this helped as well. I think my fastest 5k time (I "raced" 3) was 27 some odd min and I completed the ING half marathon in 2:18ish.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I completed C25k last August I think and was running about 12min/mile. I started to go back through from the beginning and running at 9 min /mile or faster when it told me to run so I could build speed I have not gotten all the way through yet. But I did finish my 5k run last night at 10:54 average

this is a great idea. thanks!
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    darnit
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    nope.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I love running outside, but I've moved to indoor running during the winter (after having done C25K outside last summer) and have found that using the treadmill has really helped improve my speed! I randomly ran about 2.5 or 3 miles outside when it was nice a few weeks ago, and I surprised myself by running it at close to 10 min/mile. I had been averaging 11:30-12:30/mile outside before that.

The benefit to the treadmill is it forces you to run at a constant pace, which for me is much more difficult than running a varied pace outside. I set both time and distance goals - I don't always meet them, but it's helping me to improve my overall endurance and speed. An example workout for me would be running 1/2 a mile at 5.5 mph, then 1/4 at 5.7, then 1/2 at 6, then 1/4 at 6.2, then 1/4 at 6.5.... How long I spend at each speed depends on how I'm feeling and how long I'm running. The longer runs will have a slower average speed - I can run 2 miles in under 10min/mile, but I'm not there yet for 3 mile runs. I try to build up my speed through the workout so that I'm not "winding down" at the end of my run - in races I'll need extra stamina/endurance to push through the end. I begin and end each treadmill session with a five minute, 1/4 mile brisk walk.

If you run once or twice a week on a treadmill, then you can use it as a more structured gauge on your speed and slowly work to push yourself faster/longer. It's so exciting when you bump the speed up higher than you have before or run longer at a higher speed than you used to be able to.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If you can already go that far without stopping, I would focus on completing the 5k not caring about time for now. I would focus on distance. Once you feel comfortable running the whole 5k no matter what your time is, I would start looking at time.
  • slummymummy
    slummymummy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not a personal trainer, but I average just under 9 minutes per mile and completed my last 10km run in under an hour. There are a some things I find really helpful when trying to pick up the pace:

Interval Training - The best way to run faster is to train faster. Separate high-intensity bursts of energy with rest or jogging. Try sprinting (unable to speak, lungs are about to burst sprint!) for 20 seconds, then jogging gently for a minute. You can mix it up a bit as your fitness level raises and try longer bursts of speed with shorter rests.

Fartlek Training - I think this originated in Sweden? Basically, your route dictates your training and you use changes in terrain or direction to alter the effort you put into your workout. It's a bit like interval training but with no timing! I often use my ipod to dictate my training - when the track changes I put in more effort, when it changes again I slow it down a notch.

Weight Training - You may also like to do some weight training on days when you don't run - you should aim to build muscle endurance not muscle mass, so use smaller weights and do more reps.

Hope this helps!
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    thanks everyone for all of your advice! i have c25k tomorrow, so i'm going to try and incorporate some of this!