Frozen Meals...Rrrrrrr!

I'm new here and newly fat. (lol) Why on earth can we not make prepared frozen meals without huge amounts of sodium and extra sugar? I am on the go about 16 hrs a day with no extra time to even think about meal planning. Recently, I compared a frozen green been serving prepared with thyme to regular no salt canned version to discover there are hundreds of grams difference in the sodium...even more puzzling...somehow 160 grams of potassium magically disappeared. Any idea what gives? Also, if anyone has narrowed down a few of the best frozen prepared meals, I'd be very grateful for the help

Replies

• rjlowe
    rjlowe Posts: 3
    I'm new here and newly fat. (lol) Why on earth can we not make prepared frozen meals without huge amounts of sodium and extra sugar? I am on the go about 16 hrs a day with no extra time to even think about meal planning. Recently, I compared a frozen green been serving prepared with thyme to regular no salt canned version to discover there are hundreds of grams difference in the sodium...even more puzzling...somehow 160 grams of potassium magically disappeared. Any idea what gives? Also, if anyone has narrowed down a few of the best frozen prepared meals, I'd be very grateful for the help
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    I don't know if you mean like... fully prepared meals... but I LOVE the bento boxes from President's Choice and they aren't bad for you either!
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    I only have 30 min for lunch (and that includes walking to and from home). I eat Lean Cuisine frozen lunches because I think they have the best variety. And reports have said they are the healthiest of the "healthy" frozen meals. They use brown rice sometimes and lots of veggies. Maximum daily salt intake is about 2500 and each meal only has about 300-600. If you keep track for the rest of the day you should be fine.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    um, salt and sugar are preservatives...the grocery stores have a lot more fresh prepared meals, try some of your local health food stores or places like trader joes and you will find both fresh and frozen meals that are actually good for you!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Best frozen meals are the one you make and freeze in your own containers. You have total control of everything you put in.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    This is what I do, because we are on the run constantly. On sunday night I make a big pot of soup. Then I take a bunch of those little 14 oz bowls from ziploc (the ones that are cheap but you can wash them and use them in the micro wave) and fill them with soup. I stick a couple in the fridge to eat during the week and the rest in the freezer for later. After a few weeks I have several varieties in my freezer for a quick meals during the week.
  • rjlowe
    rjlowe Posts: 3
    good ideas everyone! Tnanks for the tips!