Enlarged Thyroid??

Options
Just went to the doctor and he said my thyroid seemed enlarged and wants me to do blood work. I am going back to get it done but was just wondering if anyone has had an enlarged thyroid and can tell me some symptoms or afterwards how the doctors fixed it. I have been stuck at the same weight for a while and it does make sense but I am just looking for anyone else experience / ideas / suggestions.

Replies

• jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have an enlarged thyroid. they did bloodwork and everything is normal....I have no symptoms but she did tell me to watch out for neck pain and difficulty swallowing and if I get those symptoms to call her.
  • Jamison3
    Options
    I am hypo thyroid. I have to take a drug (I take Synthroid) for the rest of my life and get my blood levels checked once a year (when 1st diagnosed it was every four months to get you on the right dose amount. Before I found out, my feet, hands and nose were always cold, my hair and finger nails were brittle, and weight would NEVER fall off no matter what I did. Since on the synthroid I don't get as cold, my skin is better and when I change my eating and exercise habits the weight does come off. There is hypo and hyper thyroid - the blood tests will let your doc know which one you are. Hope that helps :smile:
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I had an ultrasound done on my thyroid and turns out mine is fine (wasn't enlarged just a little firm I guess) but just wait for the bloodwork to come back. Odds are you just need some thyroid medication to regulate it.
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i got told i have an enlarged thyroid by my doc too....i had to have blood tests done and an ultrasound...the blood tests came back fine, and i seem to be loosing weight now, so idk! i figure she'll look at it again another time..i think its just something to keep an eye on
  • Judyhoo
    Options
    One possible explanation for an enlarged thyroid could be hypothyroidism which is when you have an under-active thyroid. The treatment is to take a daily dose of Synthroid type medication which is no big deal to do. I had a goiter (enlarged thyroid) when I was 18 years old (over 20 years ago). One symptom of an under-active thyroid can be weight gain or difficulty losing weight. For some people, getting on medication can help remedy this.
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and have been on Synthroid for a long time. Don't count on the fact that if you are hypothyroid that that gives you an excuse to eat more- You can google hypothyroid and see the symptoms. Tiredness, slight weight gain, hair loss, heavy periods, irregular periods, difficulty swallowing, intolerance to cold, dry skin and hair.
  • audreybeaner
    Options
    I have Hypo Thryroidism as well and take Synthroid. I have had to go in every 3 months for the past 4 years to have it tested to make sure my medication is at the right dose. This is NOT normal. My Thyroid goes through bouts of working, and not working...when it is working and I am still taking my medication it causes me to have heart palpatations and a racing heart. When it isn't working and I am taking my medicine the only symptom I have is weight gain and no weight loss. However, symptoms can include: depression, bouts of no energy, endlessly tired, weight gain, hair loss, poor complexion and like someone else said, brittle nails.

Hopefully you get some results!