which is the best treadmill or outside.

Options
I do run outside but i have been going to the gym where i do bodypump 3x a week, an i have been running on the treadmill on my odd days and kinda like it. It gets my HR up and i am staying in my target zone. So tell which is the better of the two thanks.

Replies

• Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I'm told by my trainers that as long as you have the incline set to at least 1 - that's as good as running outside. I've read this in the running magazines as well. But I'm only a 5k person. A marathoner might have another opinion.

Happy Feet!!!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of preference I think. I like the outside myself.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    it will vary from person to person. not sure which one is better and for what, but which one is preferred. i like running outside, but i've been on the treadmill since november. it gets the job done. i go to work.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    They both have their pros and cons. As far as quality of exercise I don't think it matters as long as you are doing the work.

I prefer to be out in the fresh air but thats just my preference
  • sisco23
    Options
    i personally prefer the outside. you get to run and enjoy the beautiful scenery (depending on where you live).
  • clevethin
    Options
    The one that will actually be USED!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I prefer the outdoors myself. Added benefit of Vitamin D! =)
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Why choose? Use both. Running on a treadmill is softer than the road. But I think more boring. I use both. The treadmill is great for speed work, especially for beginners, because it makes sure you keep your pace. You also don't have to skip runs due to weather if you have a treadmill. Running outside is a great joy. So make sure you get outside too.

All I'm saying is, don't limit yourself.
  • oysterboy
    oysterboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I started I always ran on the treadmill then started outside after I'd been running for about 4-5 months. I find that outside I run faster and enjoy it a lot more so would never go back to the treadmill now. Especially as now I sometimes run for 2 hours and would die from boredom on a treadmill!
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    I personally love running outside where I can have more things to look at, and it feels like I'm actually getting somewhere. However, when I run inside on a treadmill I keep my pace more even and I end up running for a longer amount of time. I think a good mix of both is good. Since I am stuck running inside right now because of the snow I wish I could go out in the fresh air and go for a run, but at the same time I am probably getting a better workout on the treadmill. I find that a mix of both means that you never get tired of doing either one (especially if you run the same route outside every day). But if I had to choose which one to get the best workout out of I would go for the treadmill. The steady running keeps the calories burning, and the motivation. (But a little sunshine and running past a few guys with their shirts off in the summertime never seems to lessen my motivation either :).. )
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    I do both. My favorite is neither treadmill or road. Nothing better than trail running in my book. Keep it simple...back to nature.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Out side fresh air depending on your location. On treadmill I set it on roiling level 15 and it gets me up to an 11 incline so it goes up and down burning more calories unless you run in the hills or on the sand. My sister-in law runs 15 miles on the beach at least 3 times a week and in her neighbor hood the same mileage but where she runs its hilly. After all that it is up to you
  • TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 37
    Options
    I think it's a matter of preference... I always felt like running outside was "harder". That is totally subjective and based on no real evidence. I also just like being outside.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of preference... I always felt like running outside was "harder". That is totally subjective and based on no real evidence. I also just like being outside.
    It is.
    Think about it. When you run on a treadmill, you're still making the same strides you make outside except that outside, the ground isn't moving backwards propelling you forward. The treadmill helps each step you take. It is more difficult running outside because you do not have the belt helping you to complete each step.
    In addition, the ground outside is not always the same elevation nor is it the same surface (dirt vs. gravel vs. concrete vs. asphalt) plus you have the additions of potholes, streams, bushes, trees, people, animals, etc. to avoid in your daily run.
    If you run at a 9:30 pace on the treadmill, I guarantee you it will not be the same if you take that outside. The treadmill is fooling you.
    If you have the choice and live in a safe neighborhood, running outside is more difficult and utilizes much more of your body during the workout than running on a treadmill.