What do you take to work?

Options
I have decided that I am going to start taking packed lunches to work because otherwise I find myself eating lots of junk food. There is a shop AND a Mcdonalds two minutes away from my work :-/

Yesterday I took a salad but as I am on my feet most of the day, it didn't really fill me up enough and I found myself absolutely starving by the time I had finished.

Any ideas for some healthy lunches that will be able to keep me full until my evening meal?

Thanks

Replies

• BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I usually bring Lean Cuisine. I keep instant oatmeal in my drawer, so if I'm really hungry I grab that. Birds eye not has steamed entrees that are personal size.
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    do you have access to a microwave, etc at work?
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    almonds or some sort of nuts... put em in a bag... keep em in your pocket! When you feel hungary with no time to stop eat some! Works for me! Im never ravenously hungary at work anymore!
  • Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I take healthy sandwiches, fruit, veggies and grilled chicken. Processed foods have way too much sodium. AS soon as I quit eating them I lost a bunch of weight.
  • bjmk19047
    Options
    I've been bringing Healthy Choice meals or low-sodium soups (like Progresso), a snack bar (Fiber One, Zone Perfect), and I try to bring some sort of fruit (lately applesauce), and a propel water packet for my water. I also keep a bag of 100 calorie pack craisins at my desk.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i always make sure i have fruit just incase i need a snack before or after lunch otherwise i will go get junk.i have have it before i wont eat lunch til later which means i am held over longer until dinner. and for lunch i make chicken breast, and spinach the night before and pack a peice of bread for a toast. if you have the mcdonalds down the street, then you can get the oatmeal for breakfast only 210- 290 calories depending on what you like in it, and that should keep you plenty full for a later lunch, which means you won't be starving instantly after lunch.
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    I am on a 2000 calorie budget so I take about 1400 calories with me. Small dinner when I get home. I work mostly 12 hour days. Usually mixed vegetables, couple fruit, oatmeal and grilled chicked breast strips. Also like non fat yogurt mixed with frozen berries....almost like ice cream in frozen state.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Wrap:
    2oz Turkey or chopped chicken breast, laughing cow cheese wedge, low fat dressing or salsa, veggies Ole Extreme wellness high fiber tortilla (or some other healthy whole wheat tortilla)

Spread cheese wedge on tortilla. Mix together meat, dressing or salsa, and all the fresh veggies you would like in a bowl. Add mixture to tortilla and wrap! I usually eat it with 1/2 and apple and 1TBSP peanut butter.

This is easy to pack up the night before also. Enjoy!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I bring two snacks (one container with almonds and a piece of fruit) and my lunch. For lunch, I usually make a big sandwich full of lettuce (and if I liked veggies, then I'd add those) with 2 oz of chicken breast, a wedge of Vache Qui Rit cheese and mustard on whole grain bread (around 350 calories for the whole lunch) with a bunch of carrots. Salads just don't fill me up (neither does soup).
  • debbiecline
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite lunches to take to work. Thomas bagel thin (plain) 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese (garlic herb) spread it on the bagel, 2 oz. of Oscar Mayer carving board roast turkey breast , add a few leaves of fresh baby spinach and 15 special K cracker chips plain and you have a filling lunch for under 300 calories. Easy to eat anywhere even the car.
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    leftovers from the night before! I try to make 4 servings for my husband and I, then i portion the extra 2 servings and have lunch for a couple of days. That or a lean cuisine or salad/sandwich combo.
  • sarasotatim
    Options
    I usually make one thing and make a ton of it to last me all week for lunch, and just bring that....last week it was steamed brown rice with carrots, baked chicken and green peas....week before that, spinach salads with shredded cheese and crumbled lean ground beef. I also keep some diet green tea at work.
  • Slammedtoys
    Options
    Grilled chicken strips
    Protein shake
    no fat yogurt
    1/4 cup of walnuts
    12 cooked shrimp
    1 orange
    tons of water
    I have a fridge right behind my desk so it helps too..
  • oysterboy
    oysterboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I take soup but mostly I just take a sandwich, an apple, a satsuma and a banana. I'll eat the sandwich for lunch and snack on the fruit throughout the day. I like nice wholemeal, seeded bread with some kind of protein filling to stop me getting hungry.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I bring two snacks (one container with almonds and a piece of fruit) and my lunch. For lunch, I usually make a big sandwich full of lettuce (and if I liked veggies, then I'd add those) with 2 oz of chicken breast, a wedge of Vache Qui Rit cheese and mustard on whole grain bread (around 350 calories for the whole lunch) with a bunch of carrots. Salads just don't fill me up (neither does soup).

i think i will start make that for myself!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i bring a variety....
    left overs - almost always have 1 serving since we typically make 4 and my kids "split" 1...
    salads with deli meat, cheese or tuna w/lt miracle whip or chix chunks....
    light progresso soups (too much sodium but i only do it occasionally)
    sandwich on deli rounds/thins with veggies/deli meat/tuna...
    baked lays or pretzel sticks or goldfish....
    yogurt....
    always 2 servings of fruit....
  • fitnesspal5
    Options
    I do have access to a microwave at work so I think that I will definitely start making some soups to take to work or a low fat ready meals.

I've just made my dinner for tomorrow and this is what I am taking :

- carton of fresh orange juice
    - a seeded small roll with chicken pieces, mixed salad and a blob of mayo
    - a tupperware filled with strawberries and a few raspberries

Hopefully that will keep me full.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!