Lost 45lbs no change in clothes

Options
I am weighing myself and loosing, but my clothes feel the same. I haven't had to shop for new clothes yet because of it. It is kind of depressing. I had someone tell me I look the same too, but the scale is dropping. All this hard work and nothing to show for it in appearance. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Has your sodium intake and carb intake changed drastically?
  • SkinnyScripty
    Options
    Sounds like you've got rid of visceral fat, there was a documentary featuring it recently. Heres a link to explain: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-visceral-fat.htm You've done amazingly to lose so much, wherever its from! Well done!! :D
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I am down 20 pounds and haven't seen any change in my pants size at all. The only reason shirts are fitting differently is because my boobs have shrunk a bit. It's FRUSTRATING. I am trying not to think about it, but I had really hoped that 20 pounds in I could treat myself to a new pair of pants or new panties or something! I wonder why this is?!
  • angelicpiece101
    angelicpiece101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ive never heard of that happening before, keep your chin up anyways and hopefully soon you'll see some results clothes wise
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they're really fitting exactly the same? Maybe they were tighter before, but you didn't notice because it was your norm. If you wear elastic waists or stretchy fabrics, sometimes you can have a pretty drastic change and not have to get new clothes.

Sorry, that's all I can think of. Don't give up hope! 45 lbs. is awesome, and you WILL start seeing those results in the mirror if you keep at it.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am down 20 pounds and haven't seen any change in my pants size at all. The only reason shirts are fitting differently is because my boobs have shrunk a bit. It's FRUSTRATING. I am trying not to think about it, but I had really hoped that 20 pounds in I could treat myself to a new pair of pants or new panties or something! I wonder why this is?!

Im in the same boat..my boobs are shrinking and not my asset!!
  • billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    A lost 33 lbs and am now gettin into jeans I haven't worn for over 5 years pleased isn't the word. Keep on workin at it.
  • anume11
    Options
    i too have this problem but unfortunetaly its revised.. I am losing inches and notice the change in my clothes but not the scale!! just keep pushing.. our bodies are so erractic sometimes. it may be that your losing fat and gaining muscle and thats not a bad thing.. Im sure that its frustrating though, because 45lbs is GREAT!! just remember that you are doing this to be healthy and no brand of clothing is worth your health..KEEP PUSHING im waiting for the day that i can say 45 lbs lost..YOU ROCK!!
  • tkroeker
    Options
    I agree with another post about wearing stretchy clothes. I have lost 46 lbs and 1 pair of tight fabric dress pants are down to my ankels while I'm still easily wearing a pair of super stretchy dress pants.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 30 and am still in the same clothes, though my pants are looser. I think that when you have more to lose (and I am saying that to me AND you) that sometimes it takes longer to notice and for others to notice. I know that I am just now starting to feel like there is a tiny change in how I look and I still have at least 80 pounds to lose. I haven't had anyone notice that I am losing weight... though then again no one noticed when I gained 60 pounds either (including me, because I was in the same clothes for most of that time!)

I know it gets frustrating seeing people who drop 20 pounds and 2 clothing sizes when you've lost more and havent seen a change (at least it is for me!) Hang in there -- you are doing good for your body, even if it isn't noticeable to you just yet. Do you have any pictures from 45 pounds ago that you can look at and see if you see a difference? Sometimes that is more noticeable than just looking in the mirror.
  • SkinnyScripty
    Options
    Heres the link again for visceral (internal) fat, it is most likely why people dont notice a difference for a while: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-visceral-fat.htm
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    it took me 60 pounds before i needed to buy new clothes. it will happen! I went out and bought jeans that were a little too tight and left them in the bag for two months and didn't touch them or look at them but then I tried them on and the still don"t fit because now there too big!!!! i think we don't relize all the drastic changes we make because we see that refection every morning but it will happen for you just keep up the great work :)
  • jAdorelife
    Options
    i'm down a little over 50 & stll havent been able to fit into jeans even one size smaller.... ):
  • SkinnyScripty
    Options
    Hello?? *taps mic* This thing on??

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-visceral-fat.htm
  • jAdorelife
    Options

i read the article, but it doesn't make me feel any better that im still in the same clothes. & i know that sounds ridiculous because it's better for my health this way, but i would have liked to see a change by now....
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Have you actually gone shopping and tried on smaller sizes than what you have at home? Larger clothes are much more "giving" than smaller clothes so you may have to try on NEW clothes to see a difference in size. A person might where a size 20 even if they are anywhere from a size 16-30 depending on the cut and give of the fabric.

I don't know what size you wear but I do know that many people buy the largest size available because that is all that they can get in the stores and wear it, even if that's not truly the size they are. They may be wearing a 3X when they should be wearing something bigger. May not be your case but it happens ALOT! :happy:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options

This is a good reminder. I remember hearing about this but you always think about the visual aspect of weight loss. The Visceral Fat seems like it can be more damaging than any other.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Just because people don't reply directly to your post doesn't mean they didn't read it. It's a good article. There are also other things to consider, and that's what people are putting out there. It doesn't diminish your answer just because people have other thoughts to add.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Have you actually gone shopping and tried on smaller sizes than what you have at home? Larger clothes are much more "giving" than smaller clothes so you may have to try on NEW clothes to see a difference in size. A person might where a size 20 even if they are anywhere from a size 16-30 depending on the cut and give of the fabric.

I don't know what size you wear but I do know that many people buy the largest size available because that is all that they can get in the stores and wear it, even if that's not truly the size they are. They may be wearing a 3X when they should be wearing something bigger. May not be your case but it happens ALOT! :happy:

This is a good idea! I know that I am down a size (I think, I'm not really sure because my biggest pair of jeans is that funky Lane Bryant sizing) because I was able to fit into a pair of pants I had that had been too tight. BUT, the biggest jeans I have still fit me, just looser. I do think that bigger clothes conceal weight gain more... because these jeans I am in right now are the ones I gained 60 pounds in until I had to go get those LB jeans!

I've said I'm not going to buy new clothes until all I have at home are too big (a couple more sizes in jeans) but I may have to go try on some clothes just to see. :)
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Yes, it's on. You appear to have accidentally posted three times and created a spew. Just for your information, so that you can avoid it in the future -- you may want to wait a little to check if your posts have appeared.

It's a good point you're making -- and if the OP has (and now has lost) significant amounts of visceral fat, that's at least a consolation that she's made an even greater contribution to her health than by losing subcutaneous fat.

But in general, our bodies are not completely predictable and go in stalls and leaps. Think of aging -- you look at someone's pictures, and they look not much older for 10-20-30 years, and then WHOOSH they've visibly aged a lot. I'd expect at one point the loss to become dramatically more visible. 45 lbs is a great achievement -- keep at it!