Binging & MFP

Options
I recently read that for people with a binging disorder (such as myself) keeping such detailed tracking of what you eat can be detrimental. It seem that monitoring so strictly leads to feeling deprived, which leads to overeating.
For myself, I did really well on this site for about 2 wks then have been binging like never before. Even taking into account other factors.
What do you all think about this? And what are some trips you might share as helping you help yourself?
Thank you

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge binge eater. I started going to therapy and my therapist recommended a natural product called 5-htp. Since I've been taking this along with Chromium and a multivitamin my binging has decreased DRAMATICALLY!

Basically, for me, my binging was based on an imbalance of seretonin and dopamine in the brain. If you are craving carbs especially your seretonin levels are down. 5-htp helps to balance out these chemicals and get your brain right.

These are sold over-the-counter at Walgreens or CVS in the vitamin isle (usually the first one in the row - they are typically listed alphabetically)

I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I binge--always have. I've been on MFP for about 3 weeks now. I've really missed that FULL feeling but that desire hasn't overcome my overreaching desire to be free of the weight. I haven't had a really "bad" day where the call of the food is louder than anything else so I haven't had to seriously battle it, but I know the pain you are feeling. I'm trying to think what I would/will do if/when it happens...so far I've told myself that when I really want to eat something, I have to have a cup of hot tea first. So I have to wait for the water to boil, then for the tea to steep, then it has to cool down enough to drink. All the while I keep telling myself I can eat whatever it is that has a hold of me--after I drink the tea!!. So I drink the tea--and then so far---I found that I didn't want to eat it. So far....
    So, when you have been binging have you been recording what you've eaten?
    Is there a certain time or trigger? Can you remove yourself from that?
    When you feel the desire to eat, can you sit down and write something here? I'm not on all the time, but I will friend you and then you can write to me--hopefully I'll be on line soon enough to respond.
    I realize I haven't given you much, but don't lose hope!
  • LaylaClapton
    Options
    You gave me a lot, and I thank you!
  • LaylaClapton
    Options
    You gave me a lot, and I thank you!
  • LaylaClapton
    Options
    I think you're on to something with the serotonin/dopamine levels. I already take a mild antidepressant because I have bipolar disorder, but maybe I need a tune-up!

Thank you much for your reply.
  • beanlady78
    Options
    Binging isn't about the amount of food we eat but it is about what's eating at us. While depression can certainly be a part of binging, most often binging is about not dealing with things that bother us and the food makes us temporarily feel better. I have found that it is difficult to really try to address those feelings as I don't think I have yet identified what's really bothering me. Therapy can be a useful tool to help in this area. I am just hesitant to do this so instead, I use my refrigerator as my medicine cabinet. I have discussed this with my doctor and he indicated that I will always be one of those people who must consider everything I put in my mouth. I have had a mild depressive condition for many years - possibly genetic and possibly also related to alcoholic father. So in looking for reasons why you might be binging more often, try to identify what's bothering you. If you were doing really well with this site for a few weeks and then started binging, then something probably happened that is making you feel uncomfortable which is prompting the binging. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on tv but I've done a lot of reading and this makes sense to me. Good Luck!