Organic anyone?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has gone organic? My dad tries to eat mostly organic and when he does he loses weight. I'd love to be able to do it, but the foods seem to be so expensive. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it :smile:

Replies

• Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone has gone organic? My dad tries to eat mostly organic and when he does he loses weight. I'd love to be able to do it, but the foods seem to be so expensive. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it :smile:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    It is expensive. I find the best prices are at Trader Joe's. The key is to eat healthy. If you can get organic that is great, but if not, just make healthy choices.
    Good luck to you.
  • MiaEllie
    Options
    I only eat organic at home and try to eat at restaurants that serve local organic food. I realize that it's a lot easier for me than for most people because I live in Portland, OR and it is expensive. However, people in most countries spend at least 1/3 of their income on food. AND it may cost a lot for organic at the store but think about the cost of your health, the earth's health, and your hospital bills in the future. Organic food is not only free of chemicals it has also been proven to be more nutritious and better tasting. I know I sound a bit militant but I feel very strongly about this issue. :flowerforyou:
  • cjcj
    cjcj Posts: 6
    Options
    I eat organic as much as possible. If I can't I concentrate on the food I eat most frequently such as fruit and vegetables.

If you have a Meijer's in your area, try them. They have a great amount of organics. They also have their own "store" brand and carry alot of organics that are affordable and good. I believe a can of vegetarian black refried beans is only $1.00.

Also, if the more expensive organic fruits start to go bad on you before you eat them, chop them up and put them in the freezer to use in smoothies!:drinker:
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Yes!!!

I have found it makes a huge difference.

My grocery bill isn't noticeably higher. I think I'm buying produce in smaller quantities, enjoying it more, and wasting less.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I definately prefer organic. Specially bananas. They are so much better.

My mom does mostly organic and she has been losing weight also. We do as much as our budget allows and overall our family has decreased the amounts we eat at a meal so that helps too. The fewer the chemicals the better as far as I am concerned.

Good luck.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Organic is great and usually tastes better. My husband is a restaurant owner/chef and he uses only organic produce from a local farm.

Only thing is, organic is not diet so don't go organic because you think it will help shed pounds. The only way to truly do that is to eat healthy!
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My wife and I eat predominantly organic, and locally raised (a lot of it in our own organic garden). We buy our meat from a local organic farm. We do occasionally purchase things that are not organic, but we try to eat very high quality food. There is no such thing as a cheap food. You get exactly what you pay for...that said, we do not have a large family to feed, so it is easier for us to do this.
    Cowboy