snacking like crazy

Options
So i've been on MFP and counting my calories for a couple weeks now and all of a sudden i find myself wanting to snack all the time. Is anyone else having an issue with this. The colder the weather the more I want to eat. What do you do to stop yourself from eating everything in sight!?!?!

Replies

• miznel80
    miznel80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Coffee usually makes me feel full. so that I don't want to eat everything. Today is like that, I'm not even hungry, but it's cold and gross outside. I think I eat out of boredom. Coffee isn't doing the trick today. Everything is clean in my apt....there's not a whole lot to do in here....except eat.
  • loriefolk
    Options
    Here's a really great article for you from WebMD (the only site I actually trust) :)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/control-your-winter-appetite
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Physically move away from the food that is tempting you. You can't snack if the food isn't on hand.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Happens to the best of us :) Try eating some protein, that usually helps me. Katy bar the door if I start on peanut butter on a day like that, LOL
  • tracyL88
    Options
    drinking water is a really good way to curb ur appetite :)
  • luLuau
    Options
    i just had the same urge! must be the fact that its the dead of winter; i have done very well watching my calories, then the last 2 days i felt like i was starving and just wanting to snack. must be survival instincts, trying to make us put on weight to keep warm lol
  • cheangela
    Options
    I bring a bin of vegetables to work each day and just snack on that. I'm constantly shoving something in my piehole and staying within my calorie goal. Find your healthy crutch :-)
  • wyld4eva
    wyld4eva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes I completely understand this. I have found some more acceptable snacks and fit them into my daily calories. veggies with hummus. veggie straws, Stacys pita chips, kangaroo pita chips, if you are a sweet kinda person Hungry girl has a recipe for iced and spiced cupcakes and another recipe that mixes chocolate cake mix ..mixed with canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling) to substitute all the other ingred.
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I've been eating Almonds. 5 at a time. Savoring every single one...

Eating more protien makes me feel full longer.

Higher fiber content foods also help me to feel full.

And then I give in to temptation once in a while too - but I keep under my calorie count for the day!:tongue:
  • btrflyflutter
    btrflyflutter Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm like that closer to my "time of the month"! I don't know if my body is just needing more or what.....I would agree with the drink water advice! and also what YeaILift says....remove it! If you don't have snacks all over the house you won't have snacks to eat. Unless of course you have kids....what I do is I tell my kids to get on to me if they see me going for their snacks! LOL...it works.
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    flavored teas with stevia leaf for a little bit of sweet
  • btrflyflutter
    btrflyflutter Posts: 68 Member
    Options

And then I give in to temptation once in a while too - but I keep under my calorie count for the day!:tongue:

LOVE ALMONDS!! SMOKED ALMONDS! yummm yummm yummmy!
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    My boyfriend (who lost 60 lbs. a few years ago) suggested I have a "free day" once a week. It's easier for me to resist the temptations to snack if I know I can snack without guilt (but within reason!) in a few days. Not a perfect system, but it's a nice mental tactic to combine with the other posters' great physical tactics.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Drinking a glass of water may help. Sometimes our bodies can't really tell the difference between thirst and hunger, so drinking some water might hold you over for a little while. And even if you're still hungry, with a glass of water in your belly, a small healthy snack might satisfy that craving.
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options

LOVE ALMONDS!! SMOKED ALMONDS! yummm yummm yummmy!

Have you tried those 100 calorie packages of Cocoa Roasted Almonds....oh my....they are sinful! lol
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend (who lost 60 lbs. a few years ago) suggested I have a "free day" once a week. It's easier for me to resist the temptations to snack if I know I can snack without guilt (but within reason!) in a few days. Not a perfect system, but it's a nice mental tactic to combine with the other posters' great physical tactics.

I read that having a "High" calorie day once in a while helps keep your metabolism functioning at it's peak....I'm just not sure what "high calorie day" means exactly....there is a big difference between eating 100 calories over or 1000 claories over....so I have no idea.....
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    chew gum instead
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    Drink a glass of water to see if you're just thirsty. However, if you must snack....get yourself some nuts or some fruit. Also, don't forget you are allowed certain things in moderation. At least once a week or so I allow myself to have chips and dip of some sort (salsa isnt really high in calories =D)