Addicted to CHEESE

Options
I LOVE CHEESE.

It's the make or break of my weight loss journey. I can't cut it out completely because I'm so in love so I'm wondering if anyone has found any cheeses that are better for you or any substitutes that work? I've managed to turn my other obsession (hot chocolate) into a healthy option that I can have without worry of killing my calorie count for the day (almond milk and no calorie chocolate syrup - just as yummy) thanks to some lovely people on this site, so I'm hoping someone can help me do the same for cheese!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. If I have cheese in the house I will eat it all in one sitting. The only blessing is that I can get Light Laughing Cow cheese and it's only 35 calories a wedge. Even if I eat the whole thing, it won't ruin the whole day.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I also suffer (ok, a suffering I enjoy) from a cheese addiction.
  • ktblum
    ktblum Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I too loooove cheese. Laughing Cow cheese is my saving grace. It is so yummy and only 35 calories per wedge. Mmm, mmm, good. And if you are addicted to icecream, Skinny Cow is my saving grace too. Apparently it's cows to rescue!
  • coldbrew2
    coldbrew2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the String Cheese (Weight Watchers, Sargento, Kraft) which helps but, I do love the other type of cheeses as well. Everyone uses the term "in moderation". But the string cheese is 1 point with Weight Watchers and only 70 calories. Pretty satisfying as I have learned to pull the string a part and lay it across my hamburger patty or, spaghetti. Parmesan cheese is high in protein and good for you as well. Good luck!
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    I'm a cheese lover as well but I've cut my portions down quite a bit. Plus I buy the low fat brands or else my calorie count would be through the roof! But now I find that I only have one serving per day. Hope that helps :)
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    Mini Babybel Light - delicious and 50 calories each (plus they come in a cool wax wrapper!)
    Laughing Cow Spreadable Swiss - 35 calories per wedge (I use it on wheat bagels kinda like cream cheese!)
    Light String Cheese - 80 cals
    Kraft Fat Free shredded cheddar (weird texture but still melts pretty nicely) - 80 cals per 1/3 c

Don't cut out cheese. The "dairy is bad for you" thing is a MYTH. It's loaded with calcium and protein and if you make wise choices and eat it in moderation it is really a pretty healthy part of a diet!
  • skynyrdchick
    Options
    I've been buying the Sargento light string cheese. There is only 50 calories per stick!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Low fat (part skim) Mozzerella? I used to eat a ton of cheese too but don't now due to the calories so I don't remember how many calories in this but not as bad as regular cheese:)
  • ladysadie08
    Options
    I, too, am addicted to cheese! Macaroni and cheese is my complete and utter downfall. A friend of mine once told me that if you make your own cheese sauce with some low fat milk and cheese, the calorie intake isn't so bad.
  • blondie950
    Options
    Great idea! I like the string cheese ideas. I too have a real cheese problem. When I'm stressed a couple of nice thick slices of cheddar cheese and a glass of wine calm me. If I have stomach upset I reach for a cheese sandwich. At least 1 slice of bread with just a little butter and mustard do the trick.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for this. Even through all my years of lactose intolerance I never stopped with my cheese love. It didn't help that I worked at a specialty grocery store for four years where I had pretty much unending access to fine cheeses from around the world everyday.

Seriously, I walk around cheese departments at the markets I go to and drool and sniff like others would do in the bakery section. lol

It's just been about willpower and moderation for me. The very occasional small bit of a cave aged Gruyere, a tiny bite of Saint Andres at my mom's house, just a few broken off bits of a 5yr Saankanter at a dinner party tends to keep me going decently well. (keeping mind these nibbles are spaced months and months apart)

In between I'll use Laughing Cow cheese wedges on sandwiches and wraps. And I'll grab Weight Watchers shredded cheese for burritos or nachos.
  • suadvani
    suadvani Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I LOOOVE cheese too!!! and like everyone else been trying to portion control, switching to low fat versions.. (which doesnt taste as good so not as tempting.. guess thats a good thing..

and yup low fat string cheese .. each peeled off string eaten slowly helps.. :)
  • jkludlow
    jkludlow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sargento has a number of low fat cheese options. Colby Jack, Cheedar?, Mozzarella, Provolone in snack bars, sticks and/or slices. The texture is close to regular cheese for the ones I have tried and the calories range from 50-60 per serving, again for the ones I have tried. I like these because the calories are lower, the texture is okay, the flavor is right, and they are preportioned.