How do you measure Oatmeal calories?

Options
I measured out 1/4 cup generic dry oatmeal today, added some water, microwaved it and (duh) got the delicious mush we all know and love....but of course it doubles in size! So do I count calories for the 1/4 cup I measured out or the like 1.5 cups that it ended up being!?

Replies

• CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You measure it and then cook it
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I measured out 1/4 cup generic dry oatmeal today, added some water, microwaved it and (duh) got the delicious mush we all know and love....but of course it doubles in size! So do I count calories for the 1/4 cup I measured out or the like 1.5 cups that it ended up being!?
    You should be able to obtain the calories for dry weight oatmeal.

Normally the pack has that information, or there may be the info in the MFP database.
  • for_a_mittengrl
    for_a_mittengrl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it goes by dry. I've been eating Quaker Oats and on the container it says serving size is half a cup dry. And when I searched for it on MFP, I found the same calories as on the container.
  • mbastuk
    mbastuk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There is a general item in MFP database for dry (look under quaker)...1/2 c dry is 150 calories
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You only need to count the calories in dry form, unless you are adding something other than water to make it double in size. :wink:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    look on the side of the box, Quaker Oats lets you know how to make it, dry, and how many calories it makes......good luck....Lloyd
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

You measure it and go by the dry calories. the water doesn't add calories. If you make it with milk or anything else you need to measure that and add the calories for that too.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    There are no calories in water and that's the only reason it doubles in size is that it absorbs the water, so no, there's nothing "extra" to count.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup.

When it comes to things like meats, pasta, oatmeal, anything that changes significantly in volume or weight, it's always the precooked measurement that you use. Cooking times, amounts of water used, etc affect the end result.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    If I look on my Quaker 1 minute oats it's 1/2 cup dry which equals 1 cup cooked (150 cals). I think it goes by the dry measurement.
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I believe it's dry weight also...Try adding some cinnamon! Makes it yummy, plus a bit of cinnamon each day is great for you:)