Green Tea.

Options
I have bought a pack of green tea after hearing some great things about it but I am not too keen on the taste.

Do any of you swear by green tea to accompany your weight loss?

I drink quite a few herbal teas (cherry and cinnamon being my favourite) but I am wondering whether to start on the 'green tea' craze? I NEED to stop drinking soft drinks.

Replies

• mblanch
    mblanch Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've drunk green tea before but it's really not that enjoyable. If you do have it make sure you don't leave the tea bag in the water for any longer than a minute and half otherwise it tastes bitter.
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you stop drinking soda you will be AMAZED the change in your body and overall health! Start with that and add the green tea later ;) I do drink green tea with 1 sweet and low but then you have the whole aspertame thing. So hard to balance! GOOD LUCK!
  • pocketsam
    Options
    I love the stuff!! I drink at least 5 cups a day, just because I find it so refreshing. But drink it hot, dont let it get too cool or it has a bitter after taste. I love hot drinks but trying to avoid caffeine so its better 4 me in that way.
    Add a squeeze of lemon. I also have 'green tea and mint' which is really comforting. If you are in UK Tesco & sainsburys own brands are great. xx
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It could be the brand you are buying. Bagged tea is not nearly as good as the real leaves that you brew yourself. www.o-cha.com
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been drinking green tea for about 10 years and have never noticed any weight loss benefits yet. I imagine that if you substitute soft drinks for anything that is sugar/sweetener free, it will be better for you in the long run.

I mix things up throughout the day: a cup of black tea, couple of cups of green tea, a couple of herbal/fruit infusions (peppermint, lemon & ginger) and 1.5 to 2 litres of water. I only drink diet coke/sprite etc once or twice a week. I notice a difference cutting that out.

C
  • mrsmacg2b
    Options
    I used to find it bitter but I was told by a tea conniseur not to put it directly in boiling water (as it burns the tea leaves) but let the water cool for 2-3mins first. Put the teabag in for only 1-2mins and add a slice of real lemon - it makes all the difference. You might like lime instead, try a few things to find something you like!

Good luck and remember its got no calories and counts towards your daily water goal!!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I don't swear by green tea to aid weight loss but I do enjoy drinking it and I feel it is a better alternative than some other drinks. I would suggest you try a few different varieties as they all taste different, it has taken me a while to find one I like. I also find that I like it fairly weak otherwise it is too bitter so I don't leave the teabag infusing for very long. Make sure that you use water that is just under boiling too otherwise the taste will be harsh.
  • ErinLauren
    ErinLauren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Swear by it. First thing that I put in my stomach EVERY DAY. Its like my morning wake up for my stomach. I have usually 2 more throughout the day at work. You make it part of your 8 glasses of water each day. Love TAZO brand Green Tea ~ the one with Spearmint in it. AMAZING. Try it... and tell yourself that you love it! You will get used to it if you dont like the taste but I ended up getting hooked. I DOUBLE DARE you to try it!

PS: Tazo is available at Starbucks or tons of other grocery stores.
  • Hunnieshadow
    Options
    I put a bit of fresh lemon in my green tea, it takes the bitter edge off, and give it a nice natural sweetness.
  • fitnesspal5
    Options
    Ha excellent!

I am stepping up to the challenge.

I normally have a mug of hot water and lemon in the morning (mainly because I find that it REALLY helps to clear my skin and get me started for the day) but I am going to try and drink at least 1 cup of green tea throughout the day.

I am going to try adding a dash of lemon juice or a sweetener to it to see if that alters the bitter aftertaste that I sometimes experience. Hopefully I will start loving it very soon.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Get a mild one with lemon! It tastes glorious! I could drink that stuff all day!
  • baylee2010
    Options
    i have those green tea belly fat and it helps u with energy they are only 12bucks and i like em its better than the tea by far
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You should try Bigelow Peach Green Tea it's delicious. I don't drink soda anymore and I can tell the difference in my belly. It really makes you bloated.