In need of some support...

Options
Hello everyone,
I've been working really hard at keeping within my calories for the last three weeks, I've only gone over my calories two days out of the last three weeks and I workout 6 days a week, cardio, strength training, and flexibility. I had lost a total of 8 lbs in the last three weeks up until yesterday.... the scale now says I've gained 4 pounds back and I'm feeling discouraged because I've been eating well and working out and sleeping enough and drinking water. Everything I have learned about weight loss and gain and exercise and nutrition all seem to be in order. I did have some ice cream two days ago but I stayed within my calories for the day even with the ice cream.

I guess I just need some encouragement because I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I had lost 50 lbs before and kept it off for three years up until last school semester when I gained 25 lbs due to a highly stressful semester. It's twice as frustrating when you know what to do and have done it in the past, and are once again buckling down and trying to follow it, to have it back track on you....
Thanks,
Sarah

Replies

• Aaronc909
    Options
    Weight is a fluctuating beast. Those 4 pounds could be anything from water retention to muscle gain. I wouldn't let it get you down at all. Keep motivated and make sure you aren't checking the scale for everything. Many other things come down in size (waist, neck etc) which show true weight loss.
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Don't give up girl!! If you are including strength training & flexibility into your workout routine, the 4lbs could very well be muscle, which eventually burns fat! Sometimes we gain pounds or our pants seem to still be tight even though we are working out & eating clean because of muscle increasing. Don't get discourged, stick to what you are doing! Sometimes what I do when that happens is lower my strength training workouts & increase cardio, just until I am happy with the scale & can go from there. But don't give up, you're doing great! :)
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Your period may have been a factor to. You may have gained some water retention. You may have gained muscle. How is your daily sodium intake? Are you drinkin' your 8 glasses of water per day.
    Our bodies are a weird thing...Keep you head up...look towards next week for a weigh in. best wishes xo
  • Garfy
    Garfy Posts: 41
    Options
    I just want to reiterate the importance of measuring.

Before I joined mfp I never used to weigh myself (I had to go out & buy some scales), I just went by measurements & how my clothes felt. To me this is far more important.

Dropping cm / inches from round the waist / stomach is far more satisfying :)

Keep up the good work & feel free to add me as a friend !

Angie
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I don't think it's anything you're doing. Last week I gained 4lbs of water weight from the dreaded you know what! I was very frustrated! Once it was over the weight was gone.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you didn't eat 14,000 extra calories, then you didn't gain any real weight/ fat. Let the math be your friend.

If you have been working out really hard your muscles could be in a repair cycle, which will cause water retention. Your own "cycle" can cause all kinds of water retention. Also if you haven't been eating much processed sugar the ice cream you ate might be causing a jump in water retention.

Weight fluctuations are weird, but don't let it derail you. Most of the time, if you are being honest in your diary, you can chalk it up to water retention and just relax a little, it will go away quickly.

Your doing a great job. Good luck on your journey.
  • kimballtracy
    Options
    i have gained 2 lbs this week! but im hoping that its cause my period is coming up???? so i know how you feel. because i had upped my treadmill to 60 minutes over the weekend. and then to get on the scale say i have gained 2 lbs was very discouraging. we just need to look forward to next week! you! are doing great!
  • choodie
    Options
    Hey there,
    Dont be too discouraged hon. There could be many reasons out of your control that may give you a temporary gain. Depending on the time of day you have weighed yourself you may record higher. A good thing is to also take your waist measurement. If you are near your mentrual time it will easily put that weight on you. Also if you have had a lot of water you may have retained some fluid.

If you are doing strength stuff you may have gained some muscle which will record higher as well.

you are doing some great stuff and i love logging in each day to see what you are doing. You are inspiring me to keep going. Stick with it mate and keep going. A gain on the scales is not alwys a bad thing.

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    We can do this together! I love to encourage others and be encouraged!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I just finished an interval run on the treadmill and am feeling a little better in general. I know we all have days like these and it's great to know so many of you are so quick to help us out when we find ourselves doubting what we're doing.