Can't tell you've lost weight yet? Try this!

Options
I'm one of the fluffier girls around here. :smile: It is going to take longer for people to start really noticing that I have lost weight. I'm cool with that. Because what is most important is how I feel. I can tell the difference in how I feel, and that I have more energy. But I have a long way to go. I have read a lot of comments from MFP members that are a little bummed because they can't see their results on their body yet.

Well, let me tell you what I did. The other night (before this crazy blizzard started! brrrr!) while shopping with my kiddos, I wanted to go purchase a new resistance band (vacuum cleaner accident, haha) and some 2 pound hand weights. I saw all those loose weights and kettle bells on the shelves. I wanted to see what 43 pounds of solid weight felt like. My youngest daughter weighs about 40 pounds and she feels light as a feather to me, so I wasn't expecting this eye opener. I had my 17 year old pile 43 pounds of weights in my arms. WOW!!! I couldn't believe how heavy they were! All of that used to be on me! No wonder I had such a hard time before! I have to say that I walked away from there feeling pretty awesome about my accomplishment so far.

Now I know I have a long way to go yet. By the time I'm done, according to those weight loss lists, I will have lost Arnold Schwarzenegger. Wonder if he'll let me pick him up? lol

So now, get to your nearest store (when you can) that sells this stuff and see what your weight loss feels like. Feels pretty freaking good!! Be proud of yourself, be proud of who you were, too! Why? Because the person you were had the courage to change their life. Now do her/him justice and have the strength to see it through! All the way, baby!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Great idea and great job on your loss to date! Inspirational !
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Awesome....Great news..

I had heard keep 1lb containers around (like ones used for dairy products).
    When feeling down about your weight loss, place on a table a 1lb container out for each 1lb lost. P The theory was you'll be amazed to see how much weight you really did lose.

Well, I admit -- haven't done that.... because where am I going to keep all these containers!

Wishing you much success.
  • Linshizzle
    Options
    THANK YOU, WELL SAID!!! :) AND CONGRATS!!!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I too have lost 43 lbs and no you can't see it as well as you can on others and no not too many people have noticed. I too am okay with that because I also feel better and that's what counts. I can do more, not all of what I want to do but I am getting there and so are you!

Congrats and Keep it up from one Fluffy to another! LOL!
  • intimeoflilacs
    Options
    YEYEYEYEY!!! that is AWESOME! my friend just went through this accidentily as we was doing lunges with 15 lbs in each hand and realised 30 pounds was how much she lost and it was really realise how much weight she'd been able to lose. grats, that's an awesome accomplishment!
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Great post!!!
  • Mikiki_x
    Options
    I do something similar, I imagine how many blocks of butter my weight loss is (or bags of sugar) and its amazing!!
  • brittanymonster
    Options
    I love this idea!

I have a dress that I'm going to put on every week. It was too tight in September and pretty much crushing me.
    It fits like it used to today! My boyfriend zipped it up for me, and he was shocked at how easy it was, compared to the last time he had to do battle with the zipper.

Now I'm just waiting for it to look like a bag. :D
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    what a wonderful idea you had. I am glad to hear that it gave you such a great feeling of acomplishment. You are doing a wonderful job.
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea! I too have a lot of weight to lose and the 35 lbs I have lost don't really show up that well. I know it's the weight of my 3 yr old but doing something like that will help me see how far I've come as well! Congrats on your wonderful weight loss, def makes me want to keep going:)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I've done this before with groceries and it does help. :) It is funny how picking up dead weight feels heavier than picking up someone though. I am about to have lost the weight of my 5 year old (he is just under 35 pounds... he's tiny!) but he is much easier for me to pick up than 25 pounds of groceries are!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This was awesome! Great encouragement! I wish you so much good luck!
  • BrightSeeker
    Options
    I don't think i've ever thought of it that way. What a great idea! Thanx :)
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Wonderful Post!!! I'm actually down 30lbs and although no one else notices, my knees are thanking me!!! Thanks again!!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    43 POUNDS! That is AMAZING! That took lots of hard work and dedication on your part. It is truly inspirational.

Personally, I can see the 14 pounds I have lost, but I doubt anyone else can but I can see it. Do I wish that 14 pounds changed something, like pants size? Shirt size? Heck yeah. Seems I am still sitting in my current pants size and not moving out of them... but, hey its saving me money at the moment. I am looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel... each mini goal is motivating; first it was the initial 10 pounds now I am looking towards the first 20 pound loss.

I try to look at it this way.... I have lived a long time in this body I can't stand the sight of... at least while I am doing the hard work I can look forward to the body I will create... plus, hey strength training may help me create a nice leaner body when the weight finally drops off.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Fabulous post! Absolutely LOVE this !!! Congratulations from a fellow fluffy girl ;)
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I'm going to go see what weights we have downstairs . . .
  • ediegram
    Options
    That is an awesome way to look at it. And 43 lbs! Wow!!! :) Great job!
  • fredaro2002
    fredaro2002 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Love, love, LOVE your idea! I am going to try that this weekend when I head out to Target. It is also a visual cue that will make a huge difference in perception!
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    Great idea - you can hear your positive attitude in your typing!