Feeling angry and irritable

Options
Since I have been dieting, i get angry really quickly, im irritable, and im picking fights with my husband over nothing. the smallest thing irritates me now, i dont know if it is because im angry i cant eat the foods i want anymore or because i havent seen any results whatsoever in the last 2 weeks. I dont know what it is but it needs to stop its driving me crazy. I get so mad at myself, i feel like im not working out hard enough or something, im not losing any weight at all, its so depressing to see everyone elses ticker going down and mine is stuck at 5lbs, well actually, i gained back 2lbs, im so angry right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My mother said I was "*****y", "Irritable" and she couldnt wait for me to be done with this. ***NEWS FLASH MOTHER**** I will NEVER be done with this, its a life style change, and it doesnt help when you buy crap food out of no where for me (she never did buy me anything prior to me doing this) and get mad cause I dont appreciate or eat it. YEA I am irritable, I TOLD you that I am changing my life and you get pissy cause I dont want to eat the crap you eat.

Sorry, needed to rant a little myself..... All I can say is that I have balanced out over the last week or so as she has backed off. I would suggest you put your anger towards pushing yourself during your workouts to make you work harder and want a change.

Dont give up just yet, exercise really is key, and only you can push yourself. If you find this difficult you may want to invest in a personal trainer, you can take your anger out on them as they push you to your limits! :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Since I have been dieting, i get angry really quickly, im irritable, and im picking fights with my husband over nothing. the smallest thing irritates me now, i dont know if it is because im angry i cant eat the foods i want anymore or because i havent seen any results whatsoever in the last 2 weeks. I dont know what it is but it needs to stop its driving me crazy. I get so mad at myself, i feel like im not working out hard enough or something, im not losing any weight at all, its so depressing to see everyone elses ticker going down and mine is stuck at 5lbs, well actually, i gained back 2lbs, im so angry right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I peeked at your food diary. No wonder you are b!tchy! Your food intake is all over the board, from very very low cal/carb to binging. Maybe you jumped in with both feet and are a little over your head right now. Back it up a bit and start smaller. Change one thing a week until you get your habits under control. Maybe start with just logging a day or two of your NORMAL eatting habits. Then you can see where you need to improve nutrition wise. It could be that you need to structure your eatting times to keep from getting the crash and burn when your blood sugar drops out. That will make you irritable too! Maybe 3 mid sized meals and a couple snacks will help.

I know when I don't give my body the nutrition it wants I get moody, kinda like full time PMS. When I give my body the nutrition it needs my moods are very level and calm. You can still have the foods you want, you just have to plan for them. I have goodies once in a while (ok, so maybe 5 days a week), but I stay within my calorie goals. I don't exercise excessively, maybe 3 times a week. I am losing consistantly. It can be done.
  • dekarlo08
    Options
    I yelled at my husband today because his phone wasn't working. I know I was wrong but I did it anyway. It sucks not to be able to control yourself. Just do the best you can. It doesn't get easier but you will be able to handle it better in time.
  • mrslondon
    mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I need someone to actually sit with me and plan my meals, i know what to eat and I do ok during the week then i fail when temptation is near. i just wish i would start seeing some results, i feel like im failing
  • Awineburg
    Options
    I hAVE been moody as well... I got angry at my computer for not typing what I wanted lol. Im hoping things will get better, but I just try and calm myself with a drink... of water. :)
  • autumn5gabby
    Options
    The only why I feel I can change is the following a 12 week wt loss challenge in my town. I have a coach who I can call anytime,a class I go to every week and get weighed in. We learn about nutrition and Im doing herbalife drinks for breakfast and lunch. This website helps to. Do you have a family member or friend that you could do this with? Maybe you could see if there is a weight loss challenge in your area. I have heard of other towns doing this. Protein is important. My coach said the protein on here is to low.Women shoud get from 75-100 grams a day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I went through a major time period of *****y irritableness. I spent a lot of time apologizing to my hubby for snapping at him when he didn't deserve it. It even got noticed at work and my manager had a sit down with me.

I had a lot going on at the same time in my life, a lot of financial stress, work stress, my artistic hobby that used to bring in extra money had stalled out completely, I was exercising so much every night that I barely had time to do anything else and I had completely plateaued, no inches or pounds coming off at all.

So I sat back, looked at everything as a whole and did some serious re-evaluating. I made a lot of changes to things that I had control over and found some ways to cope with those I didn't. And then, the best thing I did for myself was to take a break. I didn't hold myself to a set exercise schedule, only went if I really felt like it. So I had a lot more free time to spend with the hubby and our friends. And even though I continued tracking everything, I was much looser with what I ate. Didn't go crazy, but also didn't worry as much about restricting. Most days of my break (19 out of 21 in total) I didn't even go over what would be my maintenance calories. And the couple days I did were Christmas and the last day of the break. Stepping on the scale at the end of the break, I was up one pound from my last weigh-in before the break. Which, with women's bodies, could have been from pretty much anything.

What it did for me was show that a) it's actually really easy to eat what will be my maintenance calories without stressing/thinking about it. B) little things aren't going to kill my progress, so don't sweat the small stuff. C) life is meant to be enjoyed. We're all making this lifestyle change so have better lives, so make sure to enjoy those new lives we're creating. If going out with friends means missing a workout, then so be it. D) when my break was over, it felt awesome to get back to my workouts and since I'd done some reading during the break, moved into a daily calorie shifting plan. And I broke my plateau and have shown a loss each week since the break.

Overall I've been much calmer, less stressed and just been in a generally better mood. Which has been greatly appreciated by the hubby and also noticed at work. :)
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    perhaps you have went from one extreme to the next? diets and eating habits should be approached slowly to avoid the weight gain back....
  • Charrisse
    Options
    It looks to me like your food intake is to inconsistent. In my non professional quite humble opinion (haha) I think you probably are having blood sugar swings causing mood swings. Also, if you are trying to cut carbs/ sugar etc you will very likely have withdrawal.
    Try to eat clean, non processed foods, divide your calories into how many meals/ snacks you want to eat per day and try to stay steady with it.
    When I first cut sugar completely about 3 years ago, by day 2 mu husband told me dear god go stick your face in the sugar jar.. after a week I was much better. After cleaning up my diet I started adding some things back in and now I feel ok with my sugar and carb levels, but I'm now trying to lose 10 - 15 that I never lost after my last baby :)
    Off the topic, but like many of the others on here, I agree, level out your food intakes and clean up some of the processed stuffs :)
    Good luck - keep looking for support here. Great folks here.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I need someone to actually sit with me and plan my meals, i know what to eat and I do ok during the week then i fail when temptation is near. i just wish i would start seeing some results, i feel like im failing

Unless you have a real life friend on MFP, I don't think anyone would be able to sit with you. The people on MFP are more than willing to help you help yourself. Go through some of the sucess story posts and find some people that have done well that have public food diaries. Check out what they eat for meals. Ask people to friend you, or send some friend requests out with a message letting them know you would like some help. People are willing to help, but the work is up to you. Read the posts that are "stuck" at the top of the message boards, they have a TON of information.

Don't get all upset and throw your hands in the air and say "F" it. Calm down, it is possible for you to do this.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. And sense you are asking for advice, here's mine...You really need to eat closer to your goal calories if you want to lose weight consistently, be happy, and healthy both physically and mentally. I know this sounds crazy, but it's very true. You really aren't eating enough food to lose weight, let alone feed your body. Then you binge because you aren't eating enough for days at a time. As long as you stick to this cycle, I think you will continue to be upset, discouraged, and you will not lose weight.

These are just my opinions, you can take them or leave them. But they are based in my success and watching others succeed by making food a partner in their weight loss journey not an advisory.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find a way that works for you.
  • fredaro2002
    fredaro2002 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I' not a dietician, but looking at your food diary, most days you are not consuming no where near your 1200 calorie limit. Keep in mind, your body goes into startvation mode when you net less than 1200 calories. Also, are you drinking any water? I don't see you tracking it on your diary. You should aim for at least 8 glasses a day. Try slowly by first drinking 8 oz. per meal. Then gradually iincrease your intake until you get to those 8 glasses. After a while you will find your body will crave water, especially when you eat or drink salty or sugar laden foods. Your body is probably retaining water because it is also in dehydration mode. Try cooking more at home to get more nutritous meals that will fill you up while consuming less calories. This will help you to enjoy what you are eating without feeling like after you eat one meal you can't eat for the rest of the day.
  • mrslondon
    mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think everyone here is definitely right, im not eating enough calories. I DID jump in head first and I know that now. I dont mind eating healthy at every meal I just need to eat more and not be so hard on myself when I dont lose weight every week. I need to sit down with a nutritionist and go over everything i eat and try to evaluate exactly what i need more and less of. I drink about 36oz of water a day, two big bottles. I dont know if thats enough. I need to just sit down and figure out what im doing wrong. Thank you everyone for believing in me even when i dont
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    The general rule of thumb is 8 cups of water a day, which is 64 oz. My rule is a little more crude, but it works: if your pee is yellow, you're not drinking enough. The exception of course is if you're taking a B supplement, which will make it look like highlighter fluid.

I do'nt think you need to see a nutritionist as much as you just need to look at your numbers and increase those numbers. There are lots of people with public diaries on here -- anybody who is consistently netting over 1200 cals a day is going to be a good one for you to look at. Even better if they're doing it in a healthy way. Feel free to look at mine -- it's not perfect, but it'll help you get some ideas on how to get more calories in your diet.

Make eating a little bit of a priority. You're fueling your body, and there is no better way to spend your time than that! Take time to sit down and eat your meals, and pay attention to what you're eating. If you legitimately don't feel hungry enough to eat much more, try having some nuts for a snack. They're high in calories but won't fill you up.

Hang in there! You're learning. We all are. That's why we need to help each other. :)
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options

You are not failing. You are trying. Anything done well has been through trial and error :)

Plan your day the night before. I do this. It then takes the guessing out of my next day AND I can play with the numbers the night before and get the best food for the allotment of calories.

I also log my exercise the night before, so I am accountable to do it.

Good luck!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Oh...wow...I just looked at your food diary. You aren't eating enough! I'd be a royal beyotch too!
    lol

You can look at my diary if you like :)
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Just an idea - it might be helpful for you to pre-plan your food the day before. Most nights before I go to bed I enter my food for the next day and it really helps me stay near my calorie and protein goals. It also makes the next day much less stressful as I know exactly what I'll be eating. And if something unexpected comes up I just adjust. I also preplan my weekly menus. I find "winging" supper really messes me up because I'll usually be tired and want to make/eat something easy and bad! Don't give up!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I'm a rookie at all of this but I don't see how it would hurt for you to see a nutritionist or dietitian? Did you read the article the other day about how a woman was eating 700 calories but would never lose weight? Anyway- it's an eye opening little description on how the whole process works and what your body does when you're in starvation mode.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

I have to say, I realize I may be naive when I say this, but people shouldn't focus, at least initially it seems to me, on direct progress. The reason why I say this is because, if you're learning virtually anything else in life we expect a learning curve. But it seems when we are anxious, eager and impatient to lose weight and have our newly svelte bodies we just cannot adjust our expectations for the reality that our bodies will need to learn also, that we have a whole lot of bad habits and personal emotional backstabbing to alter. It takes a lot of emotional effort to do all of these things! Forgive yourself, analyze, make a plan and focus on proper form like you would for excercising properly. The key is to learn how to do this consistently and be fair and honest with yourself I think.

And I have to tell myself this daily when I get frustrated with my children and my toddler, too, gets ultra frustrated with the various little things in life like putting her socks on: how is having a fit going to help you? LOL :)