Too Much Protein???

Options
Is too much protein a bad thing? I always seem to go over in protein. I work out a lot so I try to feed my muscles after each work out but at the end of the day I seem to be going over on the amount of protein I should have based on the sites recommendations. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein every day and I didn't think it was a bad thing either. I would also like to know if it really matters!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    The protein limits here are pretty low and carbs are fairly high. I think its better if you go over protein and under on carbs.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    If your protein goal is the default that MFP gave you (you didn't adjust it at all), chances are the goal is set too low anyway. Do you know what your protein goal percentage is set to?
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I set my food journal to eat 30% protein when MFP recommended 20%. I would say, as long as you're getting a good amount of carbs and fat it shouldn't be a bad thing.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Nope...I take in about 125-150 gm of protein per day. It is especially beneficial if you are strength training along with watching your food intake. And protein after workouts is especially important...the power hour as it is often called.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can adjust your settings to match your personal goals better than the default ones set by MFP. I did, increased my protein to 30% which gives me what I should have based on my aim of 0.5 grams protein per pound of weight.

To change your goals click my home, then goals on the bar that loads under that. Click change goals and select custom. Changing carbs will automatically change the numbers on the other 2 so that total is always 100%
  • Oppie81
    Options
    Its currently set at 99 grams a day.
  • kimberlyanneturner
    Options
    I am always going over in my protien too. I asked my fitness coach and she said better to go over in protien than in fat and carbs, and I need to try to eat all my calories, believe it or not, that is sometimes hard to do.
  • exp_lauren
    exp_lauren Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

Still had this page open from someone else with the same question earlier today! More than the default amount is fine ... I have my protein set at 25%. But like anything, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.
  • Oppie81
    Options
    Wow! So many great replies! Thanks you so much everyone ;o)
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Whats your split? Mine is 40% carbs/protein, and 20% fat- and I can NEVER seem to meet my protein goal!!
  • SirJFK
    SirJFK Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok so here is another question.... How do I know what my Protein levels should be???

These are my goals as laid out by MFP:

Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,790 calories/day
    Carbs / Day 246 g
    Fat / Day 60 g
    Protein / Day 67 g
    FITNESS GOALS GOALS
    Calories Burned / Week 2,140 calories/week
    Workouts / Week 6 Workouts
    Minutes / Workout 40 mins

Any help would be great, I am too new to all this stuff!

thanks

John