Vacay....OUCH

Options
I just started this counting calories thing the past week and half. I'm doing really well! I have a great attitude...except:
I'm going on vacation in two weeks and how the heck am I going to watch my calories? I know the obvious factors like not eating everything on my plate, portion sizes and generally the types of foods I should not eat but wow this is going to be hard!
When I'm at home I can measure everything and plan ahead easily and shop for exactly what I need and want.

I'm thinking to just getting fruit wherever I can (I'm going to be in a hotel for five days on an island) and making sure my meals are reasonably sized and no dessert. Does that sound OK?

Replies

• Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    When you're at the restaurant ask for a to go box, and put half your meal in it! You can also go for walks on the beach ... if you're hotel has a fitness center take advantage of it!! Most restaurants have healthy choices on their menus ... and just remember not ALL salads are your friends!

Good luck and enjoy your vacay!!
  • dux1fan
    dux1fan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Im right there with you. I am going to Rome in 2 weeks. All I see in my future is pasta and wine. But you can maintain your weight while you are on vacation. Walk along the beach for 30 mins to soak up some sun or go swimming with the kids for an hour or so. Everything you do will burn calories. Dessert is ok but not every night. And keep portion in check. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Little changes go a looooooonnggggggggg way!!!
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Absolutely that sounds ok. Just do the best you can. When you get back you can pick up where you left off. If you enjoy yourself within reason and with moderation, you'll be fine. Have a great time!
  • Charrisse
    Options
    I got back from a week in Mexico right before xmas.. all inclusive. I was worried as well, however, when I weighed when I got home, Id actually LOST a pound. We did ALOT of beach walking (the resort had 2.5 miles of beachfront and we walked from one side to the other serval times a day!)
    So while yes, watch your portions - you ARE on vacay - enjoy it, and just do some beach walking, and some club dancing! You'll be fine.
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Does your hotel have a fitness center/gym? A pool? Will you be doing any physical activities such as hiking, snorkelling or long walks on the beach? (Aren't those mandatory on islands? :tongue: )

Watch your portions, skip or skimp on dessert and keep alcohol intake to a minimum, and try to exercise as much as possible and hopefully you should be good.

Oh, and have fun!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me. Hotel have a pool and exercise room? Use it if they do. Maybe an extra walk about. Best of luck but most of all have fun!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding so no alcohol for me. Technically I can have a little but I choose to skip it completely. (even though I miss it dearly lol)

Since I AM breastfeeding my son he uh, lives on me (see my avatar lol). Walks on the beach it sounds like! :). Plus I'm rather shy and do not enjoy going to public gyms or anything..so walking is the way to go.

Thanks ..and I'm up for any other tips!