Need help with sweet potato fries

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. When I make sweet potato fries, they don't come out crunchy. I usually slice them up, toss them in olive oil and a bit of spices...but when I cook them in the over (on 450) for about 20-30 minutes, they are still soft. I can't cook them more because they'll burn. Should I use more oil, less oil...or are they just not supposed to be crunchy?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• insidemelookingout
    Options
    Don't use too much oil. Just lightly coat. I roast at about 400 at for about 20 minutes and then crank up the broiler, that is the trick to getting them crunchy. Make sure you broil then toss and not too much so they don't turn black. You will have to watch them.
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you are supposed to preheat your pan, and that is supposed to help. I have also seen where they cook them on a cooling rack (that is how I cook my homemade chicken nuggets so they get crispy on all sides).
  • cerdmann5
    cerdmann5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I toss my sweet potato fries with olive oil and then toss them again with a little flour. It also helps to slice them thin, about 1/4 inch thick. Hope that helps.
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try reducing the oven to 400 and baking them for 15 minutes on each side. Brushing them with1/4 cup of oil should do it. Hope that helps!
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    bump - I never seem to get these right, either!
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I cook mine on a pizza stone and I turn them a few times..helps crisp them up!
  • msemejuru
    Options
    Sweet potatoes need only a light misting of oil, like the kind you would get from a Misto or Pam. If you add too much oil they will steam since they have alot of moisture.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    lower heat and bake longer ... also put on parchment paper :)
  • toots99
    Options
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    Options