muscle weighs less tha fat- NOT!!!

Options
I have always said: A pound is a pound no matter what. A lb of muscle = a lb of fat = a lb of feathers = a lb of rocks. However you want more muscle than fat because "A pound of muscle takes up 20 percent less space than fat does." Per Glenn Gaesser, PhD a professor and director of th Exercise and Wellness Program at Arizona State University.

That's called toning people. Plus it is my understanding that muscle is more useful than fat because it helps you burn calories. Fat just lies there.

Replies

• Ccd1977
    Ccd1977 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good comment but toning is actually the thinning of fat tissue and bulking of muscle tissue to fill on the loose skin.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, fat floats on water right?
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

Like a witch!:laugh:
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

I dunno - I still sink like a rock! ;)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    "fat just lies there"

That good for nothing fat!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Very small rocks float ;)
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I went to the one personal training session they offer for free when you sign up at my gym and the trainer said that more muscle you add the more it helps you burn more calories at rest. He had a formula for how much exactly...but it was motivational to get toning!
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    Why do people say that fat weighs less than muscle? They are referring to volume; the quanity of fat at a pound is a whole lot more that the quanity of muscle. It takes more fat to make a pound than muscle. Keep making muscle because it takes more calories to keep that muscle going (even at rest).
  • paulcer
    Options
    Ok, I went back and re read your entire post. I think the confusion could be explained like this. A lb of feathers and a lb of lead weigh exactly the same, but which would you rather hide in your fancy dress, and I'm not trying to be a smart butt here, it's just that a lb of feathers takes up a lot more space. A lb of fat takes up somewhat more space than a lb of muscle.
  • paulcer
    Options

Yeah sorry, I just meant that fat is made of oil/fat and muscle is made of primarily water, poor choice of words on my part. My apologies.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    So logically, fat is made of wood?
  • Kelleinna
    Options

As are ducks.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I think this will clear this up.....

THE SUN IS HOT
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options

As are ducks.

Are ya'll trying to prove that we should...

(wait for it)...

BURN fat?!? :laugh:
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    monty_python_witch-701441.jpg
    BUUUUUUURRRRRNNNNNNN THE FAT!!!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Why do people say that fat weighs less than muscle? They are referring to volume; the quanity of fat at a pound is a whole lot more that the quanity of muscle. It takes more fat to make a pound than muscle. Keep making muscle because it takes more calories to keep that muscle going (even at rest).

^ This.
  • Kelleinna
    Options
    monty_python_witch-701441.jpg
    BUUUUUUURRRRRNNNNNNN THE FAT!!!

I'm so glad we all understand each other.... lol. This made me happy. :-)