Consistantly over in protein....?

Options
Is that a bad thing?

Replies

• rdbro240
    Options
    Not sure. I know that protein is what keeps you feeling fuller longer. I have been over in protein a few days as well. I am not sure if there are any adverse effects though.
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Not really....I've heard you should get atleast 1g per pound of body weight....if you want to bulk up on muscle you can get 2g per pound of body weight. Protein is one thing you don't have to worry to much about.
  • nilyam75
    Options
    Hi, the amount of protein on here is WAYYYYY to low....you should be taking in the amount of your body weight....example: if you weigh 160lbs you should be taking in 160g of protein! Protein is very important especially if you are looking to lean and build muscle...hope that helps:)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that MFP default settings are low for protein, especially if you are lifting weights as part of your routine.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I am having the same problem myself. I am following a healthy recipe cookbook, and the recipes have the nutrtional breakdown. Just one serving of the recipes are over my daily goal for protein!

I've been looking at the protien (and iron and calcium) numbers as a goal to reach, and it's okay to go over. I just hate that it shows up as a red scary looking number. That just looks bad!
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nope. Protein is the building block of muscle. You would have to consume enough protein for a heavy duty bodybuilder to really go over your body's tolerance, and even then in that case your body would just expel it.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    not a problem if you keep it under 100 g.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Depends by how much I would say, I go over it often but not by much however the figure MFP gives is quite low! Some people even say 1g for every 1lb you weigh is fine or take the figure on mfp as a minimum.

I have been losing every week so it hasn't effected me, I just make sure my sugar and sodium intakes are low.

Ben
  • freightdiva
    freightdiva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Since Weight Watchers went to the new points plus I am way over on the protein and I feel so much better eating this way and I have been losing steady?! So I guess it is a good thing!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that MFP default settings are low for protein, especially if you are lifting weights as part of your routine.

Yes, they are. I reset my goal %'s up on fat and protein. With all the cardio and weight training you're doing you should be getting 1g for each LBM pound of weight. --- Weigh 240 with 30% body fat = 168g per day. Even doing 1g per pound of total weight is fine if you're working out alot that day.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    30-40% of your daily calories from protein. That's 7.5-10gr protein per 100 calories consumed. Just watch out so your overages don't put you in a High Carb/Low Fat zone.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    30-40% of your daily calories from protein. That's 7.5-10gr protein per 100 calories consumed. Just watch out so your overages don't put you in a High Carb/Low Fat zone.

Could you explain that?
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think the protein on here is too low. The plan I'm on I eat about 2 oz of protein at 5 meals a day. I'm still getting my fruit & veggies in. I'm losing weight so....
  • aswaite85
    Options
    MFP is definitely low in calculating protein. Depending on what your goal is will depict how much protein you should intake. You can never have too much protein. 1grm per lb is sufficient. When you are cuttingc arbs you can actually replace the calories from carbs with calories from protein. The only downfall to a high intake of protein is that it is taxing on your kidneys due to the body excreting most of protein intake. The body cant utilize protein for energy like it does for fats and carbs. This is due to the nitrogen content. The body gets rid of 25-30 percent of protein through urine in which it must pass the kidneys. So 1grm is sufficent to meeting your needs for protein consumption.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    I heard you should eat 1g of protien per 1lb of your GOAL weight. So my goal is 140....I try to eat around 140g of protein each day.
  • 1southernchick
    Options
    ok peeps, I'm lost with all the grams, translate to ounces please!
  • runningneo122
    Options
    One ounce is ~ 28 g
  • 1southernchick
    Options
    thanks!
  • 1southernchick
    Options
    lkuste1986 well that kind of makes sense then. I'm 5'10" so a good weight for me is around 170. So...close, I'm getting a few ounces over.