Confused on BMR...

Options
Hi,
I've been on MFP for just over a week and it's great! Learning lots about nutrition and fitness! However, I am still confused on the BMR. Sorry if this is an obvious question, I;ve tried to find the answer by looking through the archives etc but just got more confused!!!

MFP says my BMR is 1646 cals a day. I have had a look online at some other calculators and they seem to give around 1690.

My calorie goal (set to lose 1lb a week) is 1560. My question is, should this calorie goal be lower than my BMR? Or should I manually adjust my calories to match the BMR?

I do want to lose weight but don't want to lose too fast. As I have had bad experiences doing that in the past, i want this to be a long term lifestyle change. My diet has changed from what used to be (somedays) well over 2500-3000 cals per day so I'm trying to take this sensibly.

Replies

• catofisis
    Options
    OK, since no-one replied to this I'm going to manually adjust my calories up to my BMR until I can figure it out.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    i was just wondering this myself, in fact i was about to post this same exact thread. come on someone has to know about this BMR business!
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, then you need to eat LESS than your BMR. Eating equivalent to your BMR is how you maintain weight. 3500 calories equals one pound, so to lose 1 pound per week you need a 500 calorie deficit per day.

Hope this helps!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Technically, you will still lose weight if you eat your BMR, since that number is lower than the calories you would need to eat to maintain your current weight. (as BMR is basal metabolic function aka what your body would burn if you truly did nothing but were bedridded all day).

That being said, if you have a significant amount of weight to lose, you can go under your BMR. Here's an excellent post that helps explain calorie deficits:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits?hl=guide+to+calorie+deficits

HTH:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, then you need to eat LESS than your BMR. Eating equivalent to your BMR is how you maintain weight. 3500 calories equals one pound, so to lose 1 pound per week you need a 500 calorie deficit per day.

Hope this helps!

No, actually your BMR does not equal your maintenance calories.

BMR= calories expended to maintain basic bodily functions while not mobile (in a coma, for example)
    maintenance calories = BMR + daily level of activity + daily level of exercise.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

No, actually your BMR does not equal your maintenance calories.

BMR= calories expended to maintain basic bodily functions while not mobile (in a coma, for example)
    maintenance calories = BMR + daily level of activity + daily level of exercise.

LOL! Thanks viviakay - I guess I oversimplified!
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    oh nuts. i want to lose a little weight and my daily goal is set to 1210 but i definitely go over 1210 cals all the time. i work out a lot so normally i can eat way more than that, but on days when i work out minimally or not at all i am still pretty starving all day and it's hard to stay at 1210 cals. my bmr is 1526... does anyone have any suggestions if i should up my daily goal a little bit? or should i just try a little harder not to go over 1210?
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    try this site

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

put your info in it gives your BMR, then you go into caloric needs to find your maintenance weight!

Hope this helps
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    more info

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

that is your maintenace calories, you would then create a deficit from there!
    So for example I am 5 ft 7 and 184 pounds and lightly active so iwould times my 1500 BMR by 1.375 gives me a 2065 maint. cals
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    oh nuts. i want to lose a little weight and my daily goal is set to 1210 but i definitely go over 1210 cals all the time. i work out a lot so normally i can eat way more than that, but on days when i work out minimally or not at all i am still pretty starving all day and it's hard to stay at 1210 cals. my bmr is 1526... does anyone have any suggestions if i should up my daily goal a little bit? or should i just try a little harder not to go over 1210?

If this is you set for 2 lbs a week, maybe set it for 1.5 lbs? Or if it is 2 lbs, keep in mind that's a pretty large deficit and with a recommended minimum of 1200, remember that it's better to be 20-30 over than under.