Yoga Question

Options
I have a yoga question! I just did the Biggest Loser yoga DVD led by Bob and I loved it! I did the entire video, which is 55 minutes. So, how many calories did I burn? My HRM didn't show much because I bought a cheap version and it only seems to work well if I am walking (it counts steps and such). Soooo, how do I know how much I burned? Do I just need to suck it up and buy a better HRM or is there another way to estimate how many calories I burned?

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    You can estimate based off of some websites online but they're just guesses. Your best bet would be to just buy a better one but I do that video too and only burn half as much as I would if I was doing something else for that time, so you might not have burned as much as you think!
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I would say buy a better HRM if you can. I did that same Yoga a few weeks ago and burned 202 calories, but that's just me, people's calorie burns vary widely.
  • a2canadian
    Options
    It depends on your weight, heart rate, and the difficulty level of the yoga. To tell the truth, yoga is not a great way to burn calories... it is AMAZING for slowly (and I mean slowly) burning fat and for strengthening muscles and creating lean long toned bodies.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a great workout, but it doesn't burn calories the way cardio training will. However, it is a great cross-training exercise to keep yourself flexible, limber and toned, and will ultimately make you feel and look better. So don't worry so much about how many calories you burned ...you did a great healthy thing for your body and that is wonderful!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    It depends on your weight, heart rate, and the difficulty level of the yoga. To tell the truth, yoga is not a great way to burn calories... it is AMAZING for slowly (and I mean slowly) burning fat and for strengthening muscles and creating lean long toned bodies.

Actually, there are forms of yoga that are great for burning calories - like power vinyasa yoga.
  • a2canadian
    Options

Actually, there are forms of yoga that are great for burning calories - like power vinyasa yoga.

Both Kundalini and Power Yoga (a Vinyasa offshoot) are great workouts, but they still won't burn as many calories as say running or swimming for 1/2 the time will. I still consider Vinyasa and Kundalini to be focused on strength and flexibility
  • 1ofthegang
    1ofthegang Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This site has some interesting info on yoga calories: http://www.elysiumyoga.com/benefits/calories-burned-in-yoga-2/

But as others said, unfortunately yoga doesn't burn much. Which really upsets me since I LOVE YOGA. I usually do a 30-40 minute cardio workout and then 20-30 minutes of yoga afterwards. Once you have gotten to your goal, yoga is a great way to give you the lean and toned look you will inevitably desire! But, keep it up. Any way to get you moving is worth it!