I need a hobby

Options
hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
Hello everyone!

So, besides working out, I need something I can do here at home. The weather is so unpredictable, so it's tough to plan my days around traveling. I'm a student, but things are kind of slow right now. They will pick up, no doubt, but I think it's always good to have something to do on the side.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can learn a new language! Or start a book club. Or a cooking club! When I lived in San Francisco I started a dinner club and the idea was to cook a full dinner together one night a month- from different countries. We did French, Peruvian, Malaysian, Moroccan....Super fun!
  • jlewis121186
    Options
    i scrapbook and do little crafts...i made a neat table runner for the kitchen, a art tote for my toddler (a bag with individual slots for each crayon and marker lol) aprons for the kids who do crafts at my house, and a few things for the baby...
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I scrapbook too!!!
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    buy a rowing machine learn to row well, buy a shell in the spring and rocket around the nearest bod of water...who says your hobby can't include exercise...to echo the earlier post , learn a language. I learned pretty decent level of Italian in my car on the way to work. Penton Overseas is a good company that doesn't cost a zillion dollars like RosettaStone.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Photography. I did the Project 365 a few years back... that's when you take (at least) one picture every day for a year. It's even more challenging if you're unable to travel and have to look at the same things in different ways. I took the bulk of my pictures while walking the dog.

http://365project.org/
  • SkierElle
    Options
    I have a lot of hobbies I do at my house. Sewing is a favorite, I have been making clothes for myself for as long as I can remember, gifts for other people, and stuff for my house like drapes and pillows and quilts. I also am working on learning Swedish!! I also really like canning fruits (which isn't the best winter activity though haha). Anything creative is really great... if you are good at art maybe take up painting or make some collages with photographs or something. haha... I am a domestic nerd.
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    It sounds TOTALLY old, but I LOVE to crochet. It keeps my hands busy and I've made some cool shiz to boot - like lots of afghans and some baby blankets, tons of scarves, and I even knitted a little boys vest once...hehe. It's easy and fun to do :)

Or maybe I'm just old beyond my years...hehe ><
  • Cheilsea
    Cheilsea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love to blog. You could start a blog about your weight loss journey!!!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    After I graduated college last April, I started concentrating on all the things I've been wanting to do and learn. I bake/decorate cakes and cupcakes...that was so fun teaching myself and making my own fondant/working with fondant....everything. I do all the family and some of my friend's birthday cakes and celebration/holiday baking. I can't eat what I bake anyways unless I make it dairy free so eating it isn't a temptation for me since it will make me sick. I read a lot....candle making is really fun too!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I like beading and jewelry making. Check the online fliers and/or coupons for stores like AC Moore, Joann Fabric and Michaels, and watch when they have their jewelry making supplies half price.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    What great ideas! I would love to learn how to knit. Maybe I'll find an easy pattern and give it a try :)

Thanks so much everyone, I'm going to look into each one you suggested!

L.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    grab a good book, a good brownie, a good cup of coffee, and sit in a good chair
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Knitting! There's a great website with free tutorial videos to show you everything you need to know to learn to knit: www.knittinghelp.com Awesome.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I love cross stitching. I am not creative but can follow a pattern! I give them as gifts or decorate my house with them. It keeps my hands busy and they have to be clean, so no eating.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    It sounds TOTALLY old, but I LOVE to crochet. It keeps my hands busy and I've made some cool shiz to boot - like lots of afghans and some baby blankets, tons of scarves, and I even knitted a little boys vest once...hehe. It's easy and fun to do :)

I love to crochet too! Everyone laughs at me because they think crocheting is just for little old ladies but they are always thankful for the scarves and blankets that they get from me. Since I am snowed in today, I have been working on a new scarf.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I have lots of things that keep me busy, love to read, I also paint and write, love to garden, and I guess my biggest hobby is Bee Keeping, its fascinating!
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options

I love to crochet too! Everyone laughs at me because they think crocheting is just for little old ladies but they are always thankful for the scarves and blankets that they get from me. Since I am snowed in today, I have been working on a new scarf.

I am totally in the old ladies crocheting club too! LOL I just learned how to crochet! I started 3 wks ago a neighbor is teaching me. It keeps my hands busy at night, and everyone is already laying "claim" on the afgahn I am making! :flowerforyou: