BC Question for Women

BrandNewLaura
BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi ladies, as part of my new healthy lifestyle, I am trying to wean myself of the medications that I am currently taking (birth control, hypertension, hypothyroidism, and depression). I will speak to my doctor before making any changes, but wanted to get some input from my MFP family.

I began taking birth control mainly to alleviate cramps, not for actual contraceptive purposes, so I am wondering if I can stop taking it. I am not "active" right now and don't need it to prevent pregnancy, but I am wondering if it will disrupt my cycle or bring my dibilitating cramps back if I stop taking it. What have your experiences been when you've stopped taking the pill (for whatever reason) and would you recommend it?

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    Hi ladies, as part of my new healthy lifestyle, I am trying to wean myself of the medications that I am currently taking (birth control, hypertension, hypothyroidism, and depression). I will speak to my doctor before making any changes, but wanted to get some input from my MFP family.

I began taking birth control mainly to alleviate cramps, not for actual contraceptive purposes, so I am wondering if I can stop taking it. I am not "active" right now and don't need it to prevent pregnancy, but I am wondering if it will disrupt my cycle or bring my dibilitating cramps back if I stop taking it. What have your experiences been when you've stopped taking the pill (for whatever reason) and would you recommend it?
  • I went off the pill about two months ago...bled for 10 days after stopping...and then about a month later, I got my first "real" period...and I was so sick...worst cramps ever...extremely heavy bleeding...nausea.. diarrhea...it was horrible! So I went back on it that Sunday. LOL Or well, a different pill.

Good luck! :heart:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    i have not been on any birth control for so long i do know there is some side effects if u were put on them for a reason then i would keep it goin,, and the depression ones that you do normally have to be weened off good luck to ya and welcome:flowerforyou:
  • kkcruickshank
    kkcruickshank Posts: 59 Member
    I have stopped taking birth control several times and have never noticed a difference
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    I think that every woman is different, I take ortho tri cyclen lo.

I would just guess on the heavy bleeding until you start to get back into the regular rythm w.out BC.

It might also bring back the cramps, your doctor would know for sure and there is always trial and error...

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • I would talk to your doctor before stopping any medications...you were put on them for reasons we may not know about...talk to him about your concerns and your wishes...he will give you the right answer.
  • When it comes to depression and taking medication for other things, you really need to discuss that with your doctor. Probably what you are taking, if anything for depression will affect what you are taking for birth control. Seriously talk with your doctor and figure out what will work for you to stop taking first and then go from there.

I can't say that I had a great experience when I got off birth control, because at the time I was taking the shot that you get every three months and my cycle was messed up for almost a year. But once I got off the shot and waited for my first period, and then started taking bc pills, I ended up getting pregnant. Which I didn't find out until two months after taking the pill. Everything worked out to be just fine.

I don't recommend going cold turkey on any type of anti-depressant. It took about two weeks for me to drop the dosage and then to stop, and I had all sorts of wierd after effects.

Just please talk with your doctor and do it carefully.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Like everyone said, it's best to talk to your doctor, and everyone will have a different experience going off the pill. When I switched to a mini-pill, I ended up menstruating every second week, which really tired me out and was just really inconvenient. I waited it out for 2 months, but it showed no signs of stopping so I had to go to a slightly higher dose. If I don't take it, I will either have no menses for several months or have it frequently for a couple months. Also, I'm active since I'm in a long term relationship, so for me the pros outweigh the cons. Generally, when you stop taking the pill, menstrual problems return.
  • BrandNewLaura
    I don't recommend going cold turkey on any type of anti-depressant. It took about two weeks for me to drop the dosage and then to stop, and I had all sorts of wierd after effects.

Just please talk with your doctor and do it carefully.

I have spoken with my doctor about no longer taking my depression medication. I'd really like to stop taking it since exercise has given me so much extra energy and boosted my mood. She said I could stop taking it by gradually cutting my dosage, so that is what I am currently doing. I am currently at half of what I was taking with no negative side effects.

I haven't mentioned not taking my BC pill yet to my doctor because I'm not sure if going off the pill is even something I want to do. I know I don't want to experience cramps like I used to have, but part of me thinks that regular exercise and eating better will alleviate some of the cramps and they won't be as bad as before.

I will discuss this with my doctor before I do anything. Getting off these medications is one of the main reasons I decided to get serious about getting to a healthier weight, so I want to do as much research and get as much input as possible in order to make choices that will work for me.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    I got off the pill because I was feeling a COMPLETE lack of sex drive and having some erratic mood swings. About a week after stopping it, I felt so much better and I will never get back on the pill again. I had taken BC for about 6 yrs, but I switched pills after I had Taylor and it wasn't pretty! My periods have been normal, and no extra cramping or anything like that. I am thinking that getting off the pill has proven to be a positive thing for me, emotionally at least! Good luck :)
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    When it came to sex drive, the pill just took it out of me. I wound up on Nuvaring following surgery in 2002, and until I chose to take it out to have a baby (which took a whopping two weeks) I used it with no problems. This is only personal experience though. The doctor was trying to prevent menstruation every month, so she had me use nuvaring for three weeks, change it and use it another three weeks, change it.......To a total of twelve weeks on, 1 week off. I had four periods a year and loved it. They were lighter, less crampy and just plain better. I too originally went on bc to prevent the massive cramps and heavy bleeding.

Just a note-some doctors believe that women do not need to have 13 periods a year. Some disagree strongly with this view. Make your own decision, as both views have positive points and negative points.

I've taken bc since i was 13. I've taken many different pills. Nuvaring is my favorite method.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    I got off of birth control almost one year ago. I haven't experienced any real significant increase in cramps...but it has screwed up my menstrual cycle big time. I am still not regular today. I was three months late a couple months after I quit taking the pill and right now am three weeks late... It's irritating to never know when "it's" coming... And my husband and I are going to start trying for a baby at the start of the new year and I'm really hoping that my cycle gets under control by then. I didn't realize how coming off bc would affect my cycle otherwise I would have gotten off of it sooner...
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    If you go off any meds make sure you go off one at a time!! Give yourself time to notice any changes having to do with that particular medication. If you go off multiple meds at once you won't be able to isolate the effects. Good luck.
  • I have been off the pill for over a year now. I had to stop using BC pills because I had really bad epigastric pain and horrible mood swings. The cramps are definitely worse and the bleeding heavier compared to when I was on the pill but it's not that bad really, for me at least.
This discussion has been closed.