Shirataki Tofu Noodles - 20 cals

Options
Just wondering if you guys have tried these noodles...they are 20 calories per pack! They are made of tofu and I have only found them in Japanese markets.

You do have to drain them and they are a little spongy, but I eat 1.5 packs in ramen or spaghetti sauce for only 30 calories!!! Very filling and perfect for the days where you know you are going to pig out on a later meal. Anyways, check them out...they make your calorie limit very easy!

House Foods - Tofu Shirataki

Replies

• Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I like them, but I wish sauces would stick better to them.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! I can't believe its only 20 calories! I have been looking for alternatives to pasta (besides going whole wheat) and hopefully this will work out. I guess with sauces it shouldn't taste too bad anyways? What did you think of the texture?
  • Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There are 3 types: angel hair, spaghetti, and fettuccine.

They all are a little tougher to bite through than regular noodles. I didn't like the fettuccine for that reason. But the angel hair and spaghetti are definitely worth the low calories in my opinion! Also, they have a fishy smell when you first open it, but once you drain it you can't notice it.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i need to find these in western canada. hmm
  • samb
    Options
    I was just looking on their site and reading reviews on other sites, many people have said that the tofu noodles smell very fishy but the same company makes "miracle noodles" that do not smell bad and have ZERO calories and ZERO carbs! It is shocking to me lol but I am going to try those first and see how it goes! I believe they actually make "miracle rice" as well. I hear that they don't have any flavor at all but I don't think pasta really does to begin with - its more about what you are putting on it...
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    Where do you find either of these products! I dont eat undigestable carbs, nothing white, no pasta or rice so either product would be great for me!
  • Endershadow
    Options
    Do you have a Japanese or asian market near you?

They do sell them online...I assume they ship them on ice or something? Kinda expensive too, but anything healthy is...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003H26J5I/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1296613088&sr=8-4&condition=all
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I was just looking on their site and reading reviews on other sites, many people have said that the tofu noodles smell very fishy but the same company makes "miracle noodles" that do not smell bad and have ZERO calories and ZERO carbs! It is shocking to me lol but I am going to try those first and see how it goes! I believe they actually make "miracle rice" as well. I hear that they don't have any flavor at all but I don't think pasta really does to begin with - its more about what you are putting on it...

then what's in them if they have no cals?
  • samb
    Options

then what's in them if they have no cals?

They are literally made of just water, glucomannan ( a soluble fiber) and a calcium additive - thats it! And they have no calories and <1 carb (for the fiber). They are called "miracle noodles" and from what I hear they taste really good if you like the sauce you are using and the texture is a little better than the soy. They have me sold from their company site & other sites reviewing it, plus the noodles have been in articles in a few magazines. So its worth a try, we will see how it goes! If all is well I may be living off them ;) since I LOVE pasta haha
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Meijers (if you have one near you) sells them in the produce section with the tofu and organics. I also saw them at Kroger once, but they change products so fast, I can't promise they still carry them.
  • JL3mom
    JL3mom Posts: 48
    Options
    Very funny! I have never heard of these and as soon as I was reading this thread, there was an ad for them at the top of my page! :laugh:
  • cjeani
    Options
    Great tip. I've been making a real nice meal out of the ramen noodles and was wondering if there was something that had less calories and carbs. I'll check it out.
  • cakedva
    Options
    You can also check out Whole Foods, or Plum Market. I'll be going as soon as I can shovel my car out of the snow Lol
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Which brand are you using? The ones I'm familiar with (not the "0 cal" Miracle Noodles) are House foods Shirataki Noodles and are 20 calories per serving, which comes out to 40 calories per pack.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    publix has the ones endoresed by hungery girl... they were kinda like wormy- but I didnt dry them off very well and I still ate the whole package. Non-tofu shirataki noodles are ZERO cals, but some people say they are tougher- I havent tried them. The ones at publix are kinda expensive, but i have heard they are alot cheaper at asian food marts, and there is alot more varity.... I need to make my dad take me lol
  • Endershadow
    Options
    Which brand are you using? The ones I'm familiar with (not the "0 cal" Miracle Noodles) are House foods Shirataki Noodles and are 20 calories per serving, which comes out to 40 calories per pack.

You're right! Guess I'm eating 60 cals per meal, not 30 :sad: My bad!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I love love love Shirataki noodles!! My mom used to cook these for me when I'm back in Taiwan and she puts me on a diet...it works wonders!