What the blazes kind of tablespoons are they using?

Options
auntiebk
auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
:ohwell:
Weigh a level tablespoon of anything yummy, Sabra hummus, Best Foods Real Mayonnaise, Butter...

Whoa! 1 Tbs = at least 28 sometimes 30 g... but wait...
isn't that what the nutrition info says a serving of TWO TABLESPOONS should weigh? :noway:

Means that even though I've been good, using level TBS not rounded or heaping:blushing: ,
I've been undercounting calories by HALF!:explode:

grrrr

Replies

• posherspice
    posherspice Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon is a volume measurement - ie 15 millilitres - not a weight one, so the weight of the foodstuff will depend on its density. So if you're using a standard tablespoon you'll be OK - the calorie count will be accurate. :smile:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:
    Weigh a level tablespoon of anything yummy, Sabra hummus, Best Foods Real Mayonnaise, Butter...

Whoa! 1 Tbs = at least 28 sometimes 30 g... but wait...
    isn't that what the nutrition info says a serving of TWO TABLESPOONS should weigh? :noway:

Means that even though I've been good, using level TBS not rounded or heaping:blushing: ,
    I've been undercounting calories by HALF!:explode:

grrrr

Tablespoon is a volume not a weight.

A Tablespoon of steel weighs more than a tablespoon of cotton candy. Right? :flowerforyou:
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Not all of the foods in the database have the nutritional information entered correctly. You have to be careful in selecting them to make sure what you choose is being accurately represented. Also, a tablespoon is a measure of volume, not weight. You can't equate the two. Think of it this way: You can have a tablespoon of aquarium gravel or a tablespoon of feathers. They occupy the same space (volume) but they do not weigh anywhere near the same. When you eat your foods, either weigh or measure them. Then, when you look for the food item in the database, make sure that the one you add to your diary has been calculated in the same way.
  • 35again
    35again Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying, I think. For example:

Nutrition Label: 2 Tbsp Butter = 30 g = xx calories

Scale: 1 Tbsp Butter = 28 g = xx calories

But since the serving size said 2 Tbsp you ate that, when really it was double what the scale says.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Exactly.

The nutrition info on the label gives both volume (2 Tbs) and wt (30 g).

If I measured out 2 scant, level Tbs, then weigh the contents... ACK! 60+ g.

So when I ate the 2 Tbs serving it was twice the calories on the label, 2 times more calories than I'd planned,

bleagh

but that does explain a lot... :tongue:
  • reasonablyvain
    Options
    geeez that sucks :( I need to purchase a food scale