Where I work, some have asked, so here it goes!!!

Options
Hey there,

Some have asked where I work and what I do so here it goes....

I work at a diamond mine in Canada's arctic. We work two weeks at site, then enjoy two weeks off at home. We are a fly-in only camp, but this time of year we have a iceroad that you may have heard of from the first season of Ice Road Truckers, that is on the history channel. But camp life is not so bad, there is satalite TV, internet, phones, full size gym, areobics room, squash courts, weights, sauna, and common areas for pay per views and movies. Also the whole accommodations has a cleaning staff and a catering company that cooks 3 times a day and has pretty healthy choices for lunches and snacks. The only downfall is the extreme cold weather, and being away from home for two weeks, but it pays well, and I guess I actually only work half the year, and I get 6 weeks holidays a year, so I guess I work less than half the year.

The area in the winter time is extreme, exposed skin can freeze in a minute, and people have to work in pairs if going outside. Buildings are connected by corridors that we call arctic corridors as they shield us from the cold. It is not uncommon to see vehicles running all times, and some even run their vehicles for their two weeks, cause once they get cold the take forever to warm up again, if they start again. All the power here at site come from diesel generators that are fed by fuel and we get all our fuel on the ice road for the 6-8 weeks it is open. The mine is acually on a small island so the two pits in the pictures are half formed on land and have been carved out in the lake and a dike had to be built to hold back the water. The mine also goes underground and there is a labyrinth of tunnels under the surface. There is almost every type of heavy equipment here from large cranes, two story dump trucks that can carry 300 tonnes, loaders, graders, dozers, and school busses to transport all the workers. The place goes on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

It is hard to believe that anything can live up here since the place is pretty much flat with no trees, but there is an abundance of wildlife up here from wolverines, grizzley bears, foxes, wolves, rabbits, mice, martins, falcons, and other little critters. There is foliage on the ground that changes colors in the spring, summer and fall but in the winter this place is like the moon... flat, white, and very desolate.

Here are some recent pictures.

5409561928_d27630f291.jpg
IMG_0580 by legend1973, on Flickr

5409567806_0b375c8647.jpg
IMG_0584 by legend1973, on Flickr

5408936913_aa73e655e9.jpg
IMG_0555 by legend1973, on Flickr

5409535868_f878834c72.jpg
IMG_0516 by legend1973, on Flickr

5408919797_64b030b2c4.jpg
IMG_0513 by legend1973, on Flickr

5408962353_1b8062eb3e.jpg
IMG_0590 by legend1973, on Flickr

Replies

• beautifulnow
    Options
    I dont know you but thats awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    wow....
  • Kid70
    Kid70 Posts: 36
    Options
    Holy Mackerel! I thought I had a tough job. That is so cool, and very interesting. I've seen Ice Road Truckers. Thanks for sharing that.
  • determinedx3
    determinedx3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wo thats kinda cool info. Thanks!
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    WOW! I was wondering where you worked! Looks fun :)
  • jkrokum
    jkrokum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that looks so cold there! :smile:
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I don't know you either, but that is pretty crazy. I worked the as a dog sled handler one year - so I know the cold you're talkin about. I love the snow, but sometimes the negative digits are a bit much. Thanks for the pics!
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Those are some pretty pics!
  • tompetty
    tompetty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Woah, that stuff sounds cool! Thanks for sharing.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    How intriguing! Thanks for sharing! Love the pics!
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    Fascinating! That's amazing.....thanks for sharing.
  • legend1973
    Options
    The location is 300KM past Yellowknife, NWT, Canada.

Our sister mine in Australia was recently in the news as they gave Oprah and her 6000 guests pink diamonds that are only found over there. Here in Canada we have the highest gem quality diamonds anywhere in the world. Infact part of our owners are the Harry Winston Co. the majority owner is Rio Tinto. Our facility is called the Diavik Diamond Mine.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Simply incredible! Thank you so much for sharing the job description and pictures. Sounds like an adventure that would be fun for a while, but would get to be old after a while. But then, that's just my own personality. I bet there are others who love it day in and day out year round. :drinker: (he's drinking hot chocolate in one hand and hazelnut coffee in the other!)
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    That's COOL!! I love Ice Road Truckers. Thanks for sharing, the pics are beautiful.
  • shandy32
    shandy32 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    wow that looks cool. thanks for telling us. Sounds an amazing place and an amazing job x
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Legend,

Great pics, and a very interesting description of your working environment. I am also an IRT fan. Did you see any of the filming activity when they were in your area?

BTW, next time you are sitting around shooting the breeze with your buddies, or if you want a joke you can tell your young 'uns that won't get you in trouble .....

Q: What kind of Mexican food do Eskimoes eat?
    :noway:
    A: Burrrrrrrrritos!!!: :laugh: :laugh:

and

Q: What is an Eskimoe's favorite kind of hot dog?

A: Chilly Dog:noway: :wink: