Oatmeal and Almond Milk?

Options
anyone ever try it?? I am replacing cows milk in my diet with almond milk, I am not sure if I want to mix it with my oatmeal and have a disaster on my hands... so curious if anyone has ever done it and how its tasted... I could mix it with water .. but.. I dont really love it that way... any suggestions ?

Replies

• aeevr
    aeevr Posts: 34
    Options
    I've done it and it tastes fine.
  • ragingdevi
    ragingdevi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've mixed it with almond milk before, but I'd rather have water or cow milk in it.

My boyfriend is ridiculous however, and uses a half cup of almond milk, a half cup of cow milk, and two eggs in a cup (dry) pf oats lol
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I eat quaker weight control maple and brown sugar oatmeal mixed with Blue diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk every morning for breakfast and I drink 8oz. of almond milk along side it. I love it!!!!!!

I've been off reg. milk for awhile, and tried reg. milk bout a week ago and hate it! Craved my almond milk. Love almond milk. Give it a try you'll like it.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it too- use it for all kinds of stuff.
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    I've used SOY milk to make tomato soup and could barely stomach it. I love each separately, but the scent of the soy milk threw off my tomato soup. IDK what almond milk smells like, but consider whether the smell would alter the taste. With something sweet like that, I imagine it would actually ENHANCE the taste.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've not tried it in oatmeal but typically the vanilla flavor is less nutty than the original. It should be fine.
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is pretty much the only kind I drink now. It's awesome!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've tried almond and rice milk and haven't cared for either of them however, I recently tried So Delicious Coconut Milk and I really like it. I get the Unsweetened kind and it's only 50 cal per cup. It doesn't take "coconutty" at all. I even use it in coffee and for baking. I would highly recommend it! Good luck
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    You could also use soya or flavored soya also coconut milk!!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've done it. It's good.

In fact, go to hungrygirl.com and search for the "original growing oatmeal bowl". It's a simple recipe for combining 1/2 cup dry oats, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze, and 1 cup water to make a HUGE bowl of oatmeal for only 190 calories. (I add cinnamon and a bit of artificial sweetener to mine.)

It's absolutely amazing and delicious!!!
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    I have the blue diamond unsweetened vanilla. thanks a ton I am going to do it in the AM.. I just found hungry girl on FB and love all her suggestions !!! I am going to look up that oats suggestion, I just find her site kind of hard to navigate through!
  • turntechBiologist
    turntechBiologist Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I started using almond milk the beginning of last month :)

It's delicious, and what I usually use is Splenda brown sugar blend, though I don't like using it after all that I've heard about sugar substitutes :(

And while I had it, I DID use the dark chocolate almond milk, but only a half cup of it! It reminded me of coco wheats kinda :)
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    Love it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and I add a packet of stevia. Very delicious and low calorie
  • Dhinkson
    Dhinkson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    May be a dumb question, but is almond milk supposed to be better on a diet then skim cow's milk? I have not heard much about it!!
  • racheltrantham
    Options
    I love it! It is super tasty with Unsweetended Vanilla Almond Milk, and a packet or two of Stevia. I like to add some fresh fruit too!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have the blue diamond unsweetened vanilla. thanks a ton I am going to do it in the AM.. I just found hungry girl on FB and love all her suggestions !!! I am going to look up that oats suggestion, I just find her site kind of hard to navigate through!

I agree with you about the Hungry Girl site--hard to navigate through. I have the "growing oatmeal bowl" recipe saved online as a Word doc, so if you can't find it, send me a message on here and I'll get it to you.

While you're on the HG site, though, also look for "egg mug". A simple recipe for scrambling egg beaters in a mug in less than two minutes. A great low-cal, high-protein breakfast. Again, if you can't find it, let me know.
  • brazilian27
    Options
    I do the same....nothing better than 35 cal guiltless cup of milk :)
  • brazilian27
    Options
    once i tried unsweeted almond milk I talk haven for it...and yeah I mix with my oatmeal ,cereal.shakes etc... daily...I love it
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    Thanks everyone, Ive never tried Stevia, I will have to do that, I am going to try the oatmeal in the AM and I am also gonna see if i have any left over blueberries to add!!
  • cathych
    cathych Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    love it, it is great.