Homemade Pizza

Options
I am really craving pizza right now, but I'm going to hold out until tomorrow. I have some pitas that I can make myself a mini pizza with. Yesterday I made one and I used Little Caesars pizza sauce, but I don't have access to that anymore. And I used shredded mozerella for cheese. It was decent.
My question is what do you guys do for pizza and what kind of toppings?

Replies

• verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use Pillsbury refrigerated thin crust roll-out dough. I spread olive oil and garlic powder on it and prebake it then top it with pizza sauce, low fat cheese, and veggies like tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions.
  • sarasotatim
    Options
    Hey!

I make these little personal pizzas that I actually crave now more than regular pizza....I use the flatbread rounds...the ones that are pretty flat but still nice and soft. Put on pizza sauce, reduced fat cheese, and then I use my little mini-blender/processor and grind up leftover baked chicken with a clove or two of roasted garlic...spread that over the top of the pizza, and top it with some onions....bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes or so, comes out great :)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    butterball turkey pepperoni slices
    YUM!!!!!
    only 120 sodium / 40 calories / 2g fat per serving! (10 slices per serving)

you won't even know the diff *S*
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    My husband makes a fabulous pizza! He makes the dough from scratch (whole wheat). Last time he made the sauce from scratch too. For toppings, we had pepperoni, bacon, and italian sausage, and then chunks of garlic, tomato, and red onion. The entire thing was topped with shredded mozzarella. It was fabulously yummy and only worked out to about 200 calories a slice (aka half what you get from most delivery places, and far tastier). It was a bit high in sodium thanks to the types of meat we used, but not so much that I went over for the day.
  • joematot
    Options
    Hey, some great toppings are turkey sausage and turkey pepperoni are great and a serving is quite low in calories and fat for a lot of flavor. Dice green (any color) peppers are also good. I make them on an English muffin. Hope that helps.
  • nels5157
    Options
    I like to experiment with pizzas. I once made a pizza with just a drizzle of olive oil, a little minced garlic, red onion and apples. Squash is also good on pizza with red onion. (My friends are vegan, so no cheese...) I also like to make a quick sauce by cooking a clove or two of garlic and a little red pepper flakes (about a half a teaspoon, or to taste) in a little olive oil (about a tablespoon), then adding a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (or regular diced tomatoes, if I don't have the fire roasted kind) and a little dried basil and oregano OR just add some italian seasoning mix until it tastes good. Cook until warm. Quick chunky pizza sauce. Add toppings (whatever's in the fridge: mushrooms, green pepper, onion, fresh basil...) Goat cheese is good, parmesan cheese is good, fresh mozzarella is good.

Also, I know you can make a kind of sauce out of black beans, but I've never tried to make it myself. I would guess: garlic, cumin and coriander mashed with black beans and a touch of olive oil or water/broth. That would be good for Mexican pizzas. Avocados, fresh tomatoes, onions and cheddar cheese.

I would suggest using just veggies first and using cheeses with strong flavors because you don't need to add as much, which will save calories. The traditional meats used on pizzas are high fat, high calorie and high in cholesterol. If you simply must use meats, try chicken.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Olive Oil and fresh Garlic instead of sauce, then top it with all sorts of veggies including basil and sliced tomatoes !! A light sprinkle of mozzarella and Parmesan...
  • nels5157
    Options
    Also, fresh spinach makes a good addition! And, is high in so many good things...
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I use a Light Italian Flatout Flatbread that I pre-crisp a bit inthe over for about six minutes.

Then I top it with 2 tbsp of Hunt's tomato sauce and 1/4 2% Skim Mozzarella. From there it's kind of whatever I have. One piece of prosciutto torn up and a clove of garlic sliced up is my most common one. But I've also done it with 1/4 cup of Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Crumbles instead of the prosciutto and then any random veggies like mushrooms, red peppers, onions, etc.

Then it goes back in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the edges start to look brown and crispy. Each one is about 200 or so calories, so the hubby and I usually have two each for a meal.
  • minannan
    minannan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried artichokes on pizza, they are very good. :) Weight Watchers makes shredded cheese that is lower in cals/fat than regular. I just bought some flatbread (Flatout brand) that is only 90 cals for one, whole grain, & good-sized (size of a personal pizza) that I plan to use next time I make homemade pizza.
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    These all sound really yummy!