snow day/rest day? (exercise..not food)

Options
To rest, or not the rest, that is the question! Tomorrow will 99% sure be a snow day from work, classes have already been cancelled, and i have really amped up my workouts these past few days....I wouldnt question it, b/c i try to get my workouts in M-F....but these past few days b/c i have really amped up my workouts, my poor lil' knees are feeling the pain!!....so...whats your take on it?...I feel like i would be "cheating " if i took tomorrow off, but at the same time, ive done twice as much these past two days...I dunno....I think i am afraid to take a day off b/c ive done so good!.

Just looking for input, and honest input. :) Dont worry, you wont hurt my feelers....

Replies

• gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    How about lifting weights or crunches and pushups?
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I know how you feel! I was definitely struggling with the decision of whether or not to leave the house and brave the roads to get to the gym. I ended up deciding against it and did some squats and pushups at home (nothing intense at all).
    My advice with the knees is to take it easy. I've learned that when that pain in the joints starts to creep up, it's better not to make it worse. In fact that's what usually kills my progress, is me pushing it too hard until i get tendonitis (in my knees, ankles, i even got it in my big toe one time) and don't feel like working out at all.
    Maybe you could just do some abs or arms for your workout tomorrow, something that doesn't put any stress on your knees.

good luck!
  • emptysgirl
    emptysgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try shoveling snow....:) Great calorie burner and productive too!! Also it isn't as hard on the knees as it is on the back, shoulders and hips! HAHA
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    haha i know what you mean about getting out in this weather, I was on the fence about going out tonight, but the gym is like a mile away, so i bundled up and headed that way, did an hour of kickboxing, and then another cardio/toning class after that!! I should be in bed...look at me, 1 am, acting like i KNOW i have a snow day! lol ** here's hoping**
  • lordofultima
    Options
    I'm like a postman, rain sleet snow doesn't matter. I'm getting **** done every day! I might even go for a jog in the foot of snow that will most likely be on the ground tomorrow!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    you've already exercised so much, i think it's totally fine to take a day off, esp. if your knees are feeling it. but if you still want to do some light exercises, you can pop in one of those 10-minute pilates or stretching workouts. or indulge in being a kid again and go sledding!

i've gone overboard before in terms of eating too little and exercising every day. but then when i got back to my "normal" way of life, the weight would return. i think it's better to set reasonable goals of working out, such as 2-3 times a week, that you can maintain for life. if 5x/week is something you do regularly, that's amazing! :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have much choice. Some exec (one sitting at home right now) decided that we needed to keep regular hours at our fitness center tonight--meaning I had to stay open until 10pm (in Chicago, the blizzard started a little before 3pm). We had exactly 4 people come in between 5 pm and 10 pm. I tried to leave right when the first storm wave peaked. I got about 1/4 mile away and realized there was no way I was getting to the highway and the farther away I got from the fitness center, the greater risk I had of getting stuck in the road. Snow was drifting between 1'-2' and you couldn't even drive on the flat.

I barely made it back to my center--actually I got stuck nearby and had to walk the last 200 yards or so. So, here I am. We're closed tomorrow and the blizzard is supposed to last until mid-morning, so I don't know when I'll get out of here.

So I have plenty of opportunity to work out! I have a 100Kft2 fitness center all to myself. If I had know, I wouldn't have worked out so hard today..........
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    unless they decide to plow my alley sometime today i wont be going to the gym!!! its 745 am and ive already watched 3 cars get stuck!! Ive already helped two of them get out. I might just work on my abs at home as its too hard to do at home videos being on the third floor. the building is so old everyone below me would hear me jumping around. Rest days are ok as long as you go the next day. Work on target areas at home!!