This may seem like a ridiculous question, but....

Options
Are there any heart rate monitors out there that will tell you the miles you've walked or run? I know that is the functionality of a pedometer, but I was hoping that there might be one device that I can get to calculate the calories, miles and time.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• randilea
    Options
    NIke+ for ipod will do this. You calibrate your stride and then enter in your weight and age. It will tell you time, distance, pace, and calories burned.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I don't own one, but Garmin has a series of heart rate monitors that also give you distance.
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about that however I do use the Polar f6 and then when I get home I go on
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/
    to see how far I have gone. Sometimes I will go on the website first before I leave and map out a course so I know exactly how far to go to meet my goal.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    NIke+ for ipod will do this. You calibrate your stride and then enter in your weight and age. It will tell you time, distance, pace, and calories burned.

Does the Nike+ also do heart rate?
  • Nuttymama
    Nuttymama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There is such a device. Timex Ironman has a watch out that does just that. There are probably more products out there but I believe you need one with a GPS in it to determine miles/Kms
  • akaDumbo
    Options
    The ki-fit/body bugg (depending on which country you are in) does, but it is a lot more expensive than a normal HRM. I'm sure there will be others too.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    There are like GPS watches that will do this, or you can use like an Iphone and Runkeeper Ap (probably use a regualr HRM to get acurate calories, but runkeeper does time, distance and route tracking via GPS
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 305 and never leave home without it!!! PLUS, it has a HR monitor so you can know exactly what calories you've burned. You can use for bike and other exercise. I bought mine on EBAY at a discounted price - make sure they're new and not refurbished.

Cheers!
  • RDTaylor13
    Options

No the Nike+ for ipod does not calulate your heartrate.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

Nike + DOES NOT calculate heart rate. Garmin has a few new ones on the market that will do both, look for the "forerunner" models in particular.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I bought at SportLine S12 at WalMart for about $37. It is great! Has the HRM function that works off of the pedometer that you customize to your stride/hieght/sex/weight. So it also gives distance, calories burned and time spent walking. LOVE it!
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    I am not sure about that however I do use the Polar f6 and then when I get home I go on
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/
    to see how far I have gone. Sometimes I will go on the website first before I leave and map out a course so I know exactly how far to go to meet my goal.

Thank you for mentioning that site .. I've been trying to figure out how many times i need to walk up and down my short road to equal a mile :flowerforyou:
  • Hotabs
    Hotabs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi All

My husband brought me the kifit for Chirstmas. I have been using it every day since. I highly recommend it, especially if you are near your goal. I want to lose 7lb to reach goal, but would be very happy with another 10lbs. however now that I am near my goal weight it is taking longer to shift and so I used the kifit to make sure that I use the stairs and walk during lunch time etc that way I increase my exercise routine.

Hope this helps.
  • befitcoachuk
    befitcoachuk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The Garmin Forerunner devices are good (I have both the 301 and the 305) but whilst they do record your heart rate they do not use this information for calculting the calories burned. This is the biggest drawback of the Garmin range - they only use the GPS based distance and time to calculate how hard you must be running (you also have to enter your weight, etc) and then they estimate the calories based on that.

I only found out recently (until then I believed that it was using my heart rate) when I used my 305 inside in a circuit class and couldn't understand why it measured my average and max bpm but showed 0 calories burned. I did a bit of googling and found plenty of discussions on forums about it.

So my summary would be, if you are using it outdoors only then the Garmin is a pretty good choice but if you want something you can use equally well indoors then don't go for the Garmin. My wife uses one of the Polar watches for bpm and calories and finds it really good, but she doesn't need GPS as all her activities are gym based. I have used Runkeeper.com on the iPhone also and find that okay, but haven't yet invested in the Ant+ adaptor to allow me to connect a heart rate monitor strap to it - when I do eventually get around to this I think it will be a good all round solution (although the iPhone is a bit big to comfortably use in the gym - depending on the activity - I have found that an arm strap works quite well).